Talk

Advanced search

aibu to tell friend she's probably poisoned DH?

(174 Posts)
PineappleDanish Sun 23-Feb-20 11:52:06

Out for dinner at friends' last night. Starter was mussels in a creamy sauce - one of DH's favourites. All of us ate it. Tasted fine. We've eaten mussels lots of times in the past, no allergies, experienced enough to tell if something tastes "off". All good.

DH this morning has symptoms which strongly indicate food poisoning. Strongly suspect the mussels, although it's weird that he's ill and I'm fine.

WIBU to text friend and say "thanks for lovely night but DH chained to the loo, just thought you should know"?

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Sun 23-Feb-20 11:53:44

If the rest of you aren't affected it's not food poisoning, so no I wouldn't.

JuanSheetIsPlenty Sun 23-Feb-20 11:53:48

If you all ate them, you’d all be sick, surely? Possible your DH is just sick?

maa1992 Sun 23-Feb-20 11:54:17

Hmm, are you sure it's definitely food poisoning? Is anyone else ill? I wouldn't text her.

Doyoumind Sun 23-Feb-20 11:54:46

If you are well it would suggest it wasn't the food. It's possible it was one dodgy mussel but what is to be gained from telling her?

TotesGodsWill Sun 23-Feb-20 11:55:25

It doesn’t mean she’s done anything wrong, especially if none of the rest of you are sick, DH might’ve just got a dodgy one which happens with shellfish.

What are you hoping to achieve by telling her? Other than make her feel bad

NotYourHun Sun 23-Feb-20 11:55:34

He could have norovirus, could have eaten a dodgy petrol station sandwich yesterday, could have picked up E. coli poisoning from somewhere... there is virtually no way at of knowing.

Alsoco Sun 23-Feb-20 11:56:39

There is a bug going around. Wait a few days and see if you go down with the same symptoms. If you do, it’s likely to be a bug. If you don’t then tell her if you want but nothing to be gained. It’s not like you can report her to Environmental Health 😂

womaninblue Sun 23-Feb-20 11:56:45

If he's unwell and you're fine it's not likely to be food poisoning or it wasn't the mussels. How much did he have to drink?

I used to love mussels but developed an allergy to them. I didn't have a 'bad' one, I never had food-poisoning from them, I just went from loving them to feeling slightly nauseous after eating them to not being able to eat them without being sick.

mylittleboo Sun 23-Feb-20 11:56:46

Blimey. Don’t send that message. Quickest way to end a friendship and never get any more invites!

WorraLiberty Sun 23-Feb-20 11:57:02

God no! Why would you do that?

Unless she cooked/stored/bought his completely separately, what good would it do?

Besides, there's been a nasty stomach bug going up and down the UK since just after Christmas.

Jollitwiglet Sun 23-Feb-20 11:57:24

Why are you looking to blame your friend?

Witchofzog Sun 23-Feb-20 11:58:36

No unless you want to seriously offend. This would be incredibly rude. And if you are ok it's more indicative of a bug

Butchyrestingface Sun 23-Feb-20 11:59:23

although it's weird that he's ill and I'm fine.

You said it yourself. If the mussels were dodge, why aren’t you both ill?

HeartyGreenSalad Sun 23-Feb-20 11:59:57

What would it achieve? Very bad manners. You'd all be ill if it was food poisoning

user1493413286 Sun 23-Feb-20 12:00:16

What would be the point? You’ll just make her feel bad and it’s not like anyone can do anything to prevent food poisoning coming on. Also don’t think you can know it’s the mussels when you aren’t ill

Butchyrestingface Sun 23-Feb-20 12:00:20

Why are you looking to blame your friend?

Compo claim going in. grin

PineappleDanish Sun 23-Feb-20 12:00:48

I'm not looking to blame anyone! I think it's more than likely to be the mussels - possible that just one bad one in a batch doesn't affect the others.

But agree there's no point in telling her.

c3pu Sun 23-Feb-20 12:00:50

I used to love mussels. Ate them with no problem.

Now, every time I eat them I have awful stomach problems and have to avoid them.

TheNoiseHurts Sun 23-Feb-20 12:01:05

That's so fucking rude 😂😂

Don't send that. You aren't all immortal to food poisoning ffs! Your husband has a bug! If it was the mussels you would all be floored.

Oysterbabe Sun 23-Feb-20 12:01:09

No point telling her. He probably just had a bad mussel. This has happened to me twice before. It's not her fault.

Fairylea Sun 23-Feb-20 12:01:27

God no don’t tell her. Even if you’re all unwell with it what will it achieve? It’s not like she did it intentionally. It doesn’t sound like it was that anyway if only dh has it!

PennyGold Sun 23-Feb-20 12:01:32

He could have had one bad mussel (and the rest of you be fine) but he could also have a sickness bug or ate something else that was dodgy.
You can't know if it was her food, and I can't see the benefit of telling her?
I'd leave it.

ChainsawBear Sun 23-Feb-20 12:01:42

If you're fine she didn't poison him.

At any time the odds are in favour of its being a bug anyway.

SummerHouse Sun 23-Feb-20 12:01:54

I have had good poisoning and I just knew what it was from. I haven't eaten that food since. I think it was a dodgy mussel and I would tell the host if I felt brave enough. Any open mussles that don't close if you tap them should be discarded. I would message saying "could be anything but DH is ill. Are you guys ok?"

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »