Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to apply for a job that I potentially can't start for a year?

(117 Posts)
Naicehamhun Fri 21-Feb-20 10:02:42

IABU- don't apply and wait until I am in a position to move.

IANBU- Apply and be honest about start dates.

Background: Through a series of circumstances beyond my control I have been left as a lone parent of one 7 year old DC. DCs father is local to where I live currently but is not allowed unsupervised contact, so I have no help. I work full time in a very intensive job and have no support within 100 miles if the area I live in. I am therefore looking to move back to my hometown where there is a bit more support from family and friends.
I have found the perfect job in my home town, I am qualified and stand a good chance. The job market in that area is very limited and this is a rare opportunity.... However. I am not on any position to make the big move any time soon.
My house needs building work before it can be put on the market. The market is stagnant in my area. My mortgage will not allow me to let it out. Hometown is a lot more expensive and I stand to lose a lot of money if I rush this process and I need all the cash I can get.

I can't get this job advertisement out of my head. I feel like I would be a fool to not apply but I can not start for many months and I feel this would instantly put off the employers. They do also specify that previous applicants will not be considered and the likelihood of the same role coming up again in the next few years is very slim.
My initial thoughts were to send an opening email to them before I apply formally, explaining my circumstances and potential start dates to gauge if they will consider me as an applicant. But I feel that this could put them off if I approach it the wrong way. I am desperate to move.

HotDogGuy Fri 21-Feb-20 10:06:52

I’d try speak to the recruiter before applying. If they say they won’t consider previous applicants you could be ‘blacklisted’ if you are unsuccessful based on not been able to move in time if another job comes up.

BananaBooBoo Fri 21-Feb-20 10:08:33

Well it might depend how niche it is. Realistically if they can fill the post with a qualified person then they are unlikely to wait for you. If it's a very specialised field then you may have more of a shot.

DartmoorChef Fri 21-Feb-20 10:10:07

I can't see any company being prepared to wait for a year to be honest.

TellMeWhoTheVilliansAre Fri 21-Feb-20 10:11:47

It all depends on what they employer needs. If they need someone to start soon, then it rules you out. Could you move and rent while doing up the house? Have you family you could move in with and concentrate on getting your house sorted as a priority.

Your best bet is to contact the company directly by phone, speak to someone in recruiting/HR and see what's what. At least by you making direct contact and asking the questions it will show that you are serious about the position.

Stuckforthefourthtime Fri 21-Feb-20 10:11:53

I'd apply and see what can be done, but DON'T say about dates right off the bat.

They won't be able to wait the best part of a year, but perhaps once you hear the package you might be in more of a position to move, and once they like you (2nd or 3rd interview, not before even talking to them!) they'd be more inclined to flex.

Once you have a decent job and salary you might for example be in a position to organise a different mortgage that allowed for letting, or to take a financial hit on selling, on the basis that getting the right job is more important.
Do you have family in your hometown that you could live when you first move and save the money?

coconuttelegraph Fri 21-Feb-20 10:14:50

Why wouldn't you email and ask them? What would the downsides be? You have no idea what they'll think unless you ask.

Mamato2gorgeousboys Fri 21-Feb-20 10:15:58

Could you explain the situation to your parents and live with them for a year? You could then get the work done on your house in the meantime and get it on the market ASAP.

Naicehamhun Fri 21-Feb-20 10:17:38

@BananaBooBoo yes this is a pretty niche profession. Especially in this small town, although there are larger commutable cities where they may be able to recruit from.

ComtesseDeSpair Fri 21-Feb-20 10:19:38

What sort of level of seniority is it and how niche is the market? If we’re talking executive director or CEO of a large organisation then it’s relatively common for people at that level to have six month notice periods and when we recruit for them we fully expect the successful candidate not to be able to start for several months.

If it’s s much less senior position where noticed is a month as standard it’s trickier. I wouldn’t email and set out your position because it will influence their thinking if you apply. I’d apply and then if and when it comes to interview and being offered the job you’re in a stronger position to negotiate.

pennow Fri 21-Feb-20 10:20:21

I would apply and then be very honest at interview. If they want you they may be prepared to wait or at least contact you the next time something comes up. I interviewed someone for my team last Septdmber who told me they wouldn't be able to come till April. We held the job fif them.

Bouncebacker Fri 21-Feb-20 10:20:43

If you have family close by, stay with them - apply for the job, hopefully get it and use weekends to get the house ready for sale. You seem excited about the job and the lifestyle in this other location, sometimes a pull to go is as powerful as a push to leave and you will sort the logistics out afterwards

ComtesseDeSpair Fri 21-Feb-20 10:23:07

If I were recruiting and received ten good applications but knew that one of them couldn’t start for a very long time, honestly I’d probably discount their application, just because when you’re going through the selection process and have to pick between strong candidates, you have to start somewhere with reasons for not taking some further. But if I interviewed someone and really liked them for the role and then it turned out they couldn’t start for ages, I’d be willing to work with them on it.

Naicehamhun Fri 21-Feb-20 10:25:05

@ComtesseDeSpair
Fairly skilled professional level, not management. Requires precessional accreditation. But the industry is fairly wide spread and experiencing huge growth. Industry standard is a 3 month notice period.

yellowkangaroo Fri 21-Feb-20 10:27:13

I would try and find solutions, you maybe can't formally let out your house but you could perhaps have a lodger. Could you stay with family in your hometown during the week? Suck up the cost (and misery!) of renting a studio room in that town for nearly a year? Is there any way possible you could commute? Bear in mind from the point they offer you the job, you could claim three months notice, which knocks off a chunk, then ask for a bit of pre booked leave after that, the year will fly in.

DroppedBoxxedRuth Fri 21-Feb-20 10:28:45

I'm in recruitment and interviewed someone yesterday who said they wouldn't be available until July.

Myself and the hiring manager were not impressed (in Aus standard notice period is 4 weeks). There's a need now, hence why we're recruiting hmm

You would have to be incredibly niche and skilled for it to even be considered.

Dutch1e Fri 21-Feb-20 10:30:37

I'd apply. If offered there might be some way for you to make the move earlier, like a long-term housesitter willing to cover just your house's running costs (but not paying typical rent) in exchange for being understanding about renovation work.

First things first, apply and see how the interview process goes. It seems like serendipity, too good to not try.

Hedgehogparty Fri 21-Feb-20 10:33:00

I’d try to speak to someone in HR to get advice and explain situation.

WaterSheep Fri 21-Feb-20 10:38:04

Industry standard is a 3 month notice period

They're likely to have taken this into account. However, 3 months is very different to 10 or more months. Unfortunately if it's a fast growing industry then I think you'll have very little chance.

PeterPanGoesWrong Fri 21-Feb-20 10:38:16

Could you apply then if you’re offered the job maybe consider renting somewhere near to the job. It doesn’t have to be your ideal home but a small flat with no garden, not great when you have a child but cheap when you have a mortgage to pay on your current home too. Iyswim.
At least that way you’ll know you tried. You might not be offered the job, then you don’t have a problem at all. But if you don’t apply, it will haunt you.
Or could you crash at your parents for just a few months, enough time for you to save up and get the repairs done then sell your current place?
Where there’s a will, there’s a way.
Best of luck.

Emmelina Fri 21-Feb-20 10:42:58

If they’re advertising now, then presumably they need someone to start at the end of a reasonable notice period.

TeddTess Fri 21-Feb-20 10:43:08

why do you need to do building work on your house before selling it?
Just sell it as it is?

HelloSunshine11 Fri 21-Feb-20 10:46:32

Is it the sort of job that could be done remotely for a while? I'd get in touch and ask whether they'd consider any home-working with maybe a trip to the office once a week if you can work the commute around childcare. If three months notice is standard then it would only be for nine months or so.

I wouldn't consider a candidate who can't start for a year. That's not even remotely meeting business needs. I would consider ways we could make it work now though for the right person.

SinkGirl Fri 21-Feb-20 10:53:00

If you have family and friends where you’re moving to is there anyone you could stay with in the interim?

How much building work is needed and how quickly could you get it done?
Would the role involve enough of a salary increase to cover a period of paying for two properties, even if the one you rent is very small and not suitable for more than a few months?

Interview process is likely to take at least a month, then they’ll be expecting a 3 month notice period, so that’s 4 months already. You should be able to get the work done and the house on the market by then if you move quickly.

You can price the house realistically for a quick sale and if you’re renting you can market it with no chain which will help.

74NewStreet Fri 21-Feb-20 10:53:19

Unless you blow all the other candidates out of the water I can’t see any business logic in hiring an interim for a year to accommodate you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »