Talk

Advanced search

UPDATE THREAD - Going to Australia for the weekend

(64 Posts)
4thTimeIsTheCharm Mon 17-Feb-20 10:58:24

I posted back last summer - the gist was WIBU to fly to Oz for the weekend for my male best friend's wedding leaving my 4DC and DH behind.

Response was fairly 50:50 that i was mad:it would be worth it. There was a good smattering of "you are in love with your friend" and at the end the eco-folks came on to tell me i was killing the planet.

UPDATE:

I went, it was amazing, my best mate and I realised we were desperately in love, ran off into the sunset leaving his fiancee at the alter and my DH and kids abandoned on the other side of the world.

grin sorry......

I managed to extend the trip slightly so I was away for a week, 5 days on the ground in Oz. My parents very kindly said they would have the DC after school so DH didn't have to work half days as he planned which was amazing of them.

I got a great deal on the flight which was only 21 hours as it was only a refuel stop in singapore. I got myself some sleeping tablets, moved onto Oz time as soon as i boarded the plan and drugged myself to sleep at 9am uk time and slept all the way to singapore!

My friend picked me up at the airport and he had found be a fab little air bnb two streets from his house.

We had two days before the wedding so it was a mix of catching up, helping run last minute errands, decorating the house etc. I was also in charge of keeping my friend's dad from irritating the bride! (i've know him since i was 10, i know how to handle his sense of humour!)

the wedding day was amazing, it was really very special to help my friend get ready and be with him through the pre-wedding nerves etc. the wedding was fab, the reception was great fun. I got to know his now DW much better which was lovely.

the couple of days after the wedding the bride spent time with her parents and my friend and i got to do some touristy things - i held a koala and stroked kangaroos etc etc. we also got to spend a day in the nearest city to him before i flew home and had a really good catch up.

He dropped me at the airport and i drugged myself to sleep on the plane again on the way home.

I had no jet lag at all on the way out, arrived at 5pm local time and went to dinner, bed around 11pm and woke at 8am. Arrived home at 10am local time, small nap before kids back from school, bed at 10pm and up at 7am. tiny bit tired for a couple of days but nothing that felt like true jet lag.

was able to call the kids and DH at their breakfast time every day too which was great.

So in short, it was brilliant, i am so glad i did it and i would make the same decision again. it was the most special thing to be there to see my best friend get married.

Sorry the update wasnt actually as film-script-worthy as a lot of you were hoping for!

4thTimeIsTheCharm Mon 17-Feb-20 11:00:26

forgot to take the vote off....oops!

GinDaddy Mon 17-Feb-20 11:01:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnathemaPulsifer Mon 17-Feb-20 11:01:41

I remember your thread, glad it went well.

garbagegirl Mon 17-Feb-20 11:02:07

YABU how dare you be so happy!!

It sounds like it was an incredible trip and more power to your elbow for doing it. Life is for living x

4thTimeIsTheCharm Mon 17-Feb-20 11:04:26

gindaddy its not a TAAT, its an update on my previous one?! confused

SnowsInWater Mon 17-Feb-20 11:04:57

I remember your thread too, glad you went for it and had such a great time!

bluetongue Mon 17-Feb-20 11:05:05

I’m just jealous you can sleep on flights. Even with sleeping tablets and a row of three seats to myself in economy it’s impossible for me sad

RogueV Mon 17-Feb-20 11:05:52

GinDaddy grin

Lionsleepstonight Mon 17-Feb-20 11:06:02

Nice one! Thanks for the update. Wasnt sure if you were goung to do it.
Sometimes the maddest ideas are the best!

@GinDaddy = Be Kind, eh?

BlessedBeTheFruitCake Mon 17-Feb-20 11:07:40

Glad you had a lovely time.

loobyloo1234 Mon 17-Feb-20 11:07:42

Huh - its not a TAAT - its the same OP. Just an update?

Glad it went well OP. I remember thinking you were mad when I read your thread. (I didn't want to be a fun sponge and tell you that though smile )

4thTimeIsTheCharm Mon 17-Feb-20 11:08:43

looby i never said i wasnt mad! grin

Clangus00 Mon 17-Feb-20 11:19:07

Fantastic!

ConfessionsOfTeenageDramaQueen Mon 17-Feb-20 11:22:44

First comment from @GinDaddy and it's nasty - quelle surprise.

OP, I remember your first thread and I'm so glad you posted an update! I was one of the ones who originally replied to say you should go. When my son was 18 months I flew to California for a 3-day "work" semi-work trip (basically barely broke even from the trip but the opportunity was too amazing to pass up) and it was amazing. I had such a great time. Glad you didn't listen to the naysayers and went anyway!

And Gin Daddy, you know you're not obligated to comment on every thread right? Maybe you'd be better off reading something else. Maybe a blog.

MabelMoo23 Mon 17-Feb-20 11:24:33

Yay!!! I remember your thread and I’m so glad you went. This weekend alone has shown how desperately unhappy people are.

If you had the support of your DH and you could afford it - which I remember you did on both accounts - then absolutely you should do what makes you happy

So glad you went and had a wonderful time. At the end of the day, memories are everything

namechange8765455 Mon 17-Feb-20 11:31:39

YAY!!

Thank you for the update!!

I remember your thread and I remember how upbeat and can-do you were about it and it's really good to hear you did it, and it went as well as you had hoped for.

flowers

KatherineJaneway Mon 17-Feb-20 11:32:35

Good for you, glad you had a great time.

VirtualHamster Mon 17-Feb-20 11:38:07

Well, seeing as you didn't actually go for the weekend, it's still a YABU to go to Australia for a weekend

BoreOfWhabylon Mon 17-Feb-20 11:39:50

I remember your thread. Great update!

Izzydawg Mon 17-Feb-20 11:41:11

Sounds great 👍 as a crap flyer myself ... what drugs did you use and how did you get them?
Finding it hard to get the odd diazepam from my gp lately

Scbchl Mon 17-Feb-20 11:44:54

Brilliant, thanks for the update.

KoalasandRabbit Mon 17-Feb-20 11:49:41

Thanks for update, glad it went well.

Derbee Mon 17-Feb-20 11:52:33

I was thinking about you the other day when we were booking flights!
Glad you went, and it was worth it!

SlayingDragons Mon 17-Feb-20 11:55:29

I love this OP. We’ve had similar dilemmas as our closest friends live in TX. (not as far away obviously but still about 20hrs travel all in from our first flight departure in the UK to landing in TX and that’s before you factor in driving to and from airports etc.

We have flown over for a weekend before for a funeral, and have also debated flying over for a wedding, but in the end couldn’t make that one work out because of DH’s work commitments. I am flying over next month for a friend’s birthday and while I’m also extending it to spend a few days either side with other friends, I’m still only going for 5 days.

Worth every penny and every sleepless night due to jet lag. (Although I’ll be dosing up on melatonin on both long haul flights) Friendships matter and are worth investing in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »