Talk

Advanced search

To call the hotel and let them know we are sick?

(172 Posts)
Blondie1092 Mon 17-Feb-20 10:14:11

Myself and my husband, along with another couple who we are good friends with went to a hotel on Saturday night for their "valentines deal". We had a 5 course meal shortly after we arrived and hung about the hotel for drinks that evening, nothing too mad, all very civilised. We got up yesterday morning, had breakfast and went home.
One of us became very ill on the way home. I thought it was a hangover and we all laughed because none of us were actually drunk.
Last night I started to fall very ill and didn't sleep much. Then this morning all hell broke loose (I'm talking about my stomach an bowels TMI but hey can't beat around the bush). I'm lying in bed shivering yet sweating 😓
My husband rang me to ask if I'll collect him from work as he is also the same.
He rang the other couple to check on them and they're both off work today because they're sick.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking we have ate something that has caused this.
Should I ring the hotel to inform them about this? Or just power through and forget the whole thing every happened? What would you do?

SagaBauer Mon 17-Feb-20 10:18:04

It could be norovirus which one of you has passed to the others?! I wouldn't necessarily assume food poisoning

Bezalelle Mon 17-Feb-20 10:18:46

Definitely ring them!

PrincessHoneysuckle Mon 17-Feb-20 10:18:53

Its tricky because I doubt you could prove it happened because of their food even though you know it did iykwim.I just wouldnt go their ever again.Did you all eat the same thing?

Blackbear19 Mon 17-Feb-20 10:19:42

I'd be tempted to call them. They might not give a hoot, or they could be very concerned. But then it might just be a bug. Did you all eat the same food?

headlicehelp Mon 17-Feb-20 10:19:41

Probably norovirus

If it was food poisoning I'd think you'd all get sick within an hour of each other?

<disclaimer, not an expert> grin

puds11 Mon 17-Feb-20 10:19:58

Did you all eat the same thing?

BettySwollocksandaCrustyRack Mon 17-Feb-20 10:20:12

I would call them, just to see whether anyone else has had the same time, or even just to warn them of a potential food posioning outbreak so they can take the neccessary precautions.

NotEverythingIsBlackandWhite Mon 17-Feb-20 10:20:38

Yes, let them know. They may have other guests ring too and you will be able to help them discover what caused it. They will need to review their standards and suppliers' standards to protect others from becoming ill in future.

Might be worth contacting Environmental Health too in case they have been informed about it.

ineedaholidaynow Mon 17-Feb-20 10:22:15

Surely you would ring them to notify them. Not blaming them or seeking compensation. If anyone else separate to you has also been ill then it is more likely to be food poisoning.

Blondie1092 Mon 17-Feb-20 10:25:05

Thank for your replies!
Yes we all ate the same starter (it was cold crab meat). I only ate a few bites as I didn't like the fact it was cold. The other two had a little bit two (the ones who have been hit with it today like me) and the girl who became unwell yesterday had ate all of hers. Trying to piece things together. But as some of you have said, it could just be a bug that we could have passed to each other.
What did you get for valentines?
Diarrhoea. Lucky gal 🧐😂

Haworthia Mon 17-Feb-20 10:26:44

If it was food poisoning I'd think you'd all get sick within an hour of each other?

Food poisoning doesn’t necessarily work like that.

OP, chances are it WAS the food but the hotel will blame it on norovirus.

Guess what? You can even catch norovirus from food if it’s been prepared by a person suffering from norovirus.

Okbutno Mon 17-Feb-20 10:33:52

I wouldn't assume food poisoning although it could be. But even so if it's norovirus I'd call just incase its helpful for staff and guests.

blue25 Mon 17-Feb-20 10:34:15

Yes Wahaca gave hundreds of their customers norovirus, transmitted through their supply chain.

ginghamstarfish Mon 17-Feb-20 10:35:28

I'd tell them, if one of you had passed flu etc to the others you surely wouldn't all be feel so bad at the same time.

Spam88 Mon 17-Feb-20 10:35:34

Not even slightly an expert, but I'd assume it was a bug rather than food poisoning. But there have been cases of people catching norovirus or c diff where someone preparing the food was unwell. Probably worth letting the hotel know so they can investigate if necessary.

Reluctantbettlynch Mon 17-Feb-20 10:40:04

It could be norovirus or could be food poisoning. Definitely contact the hotel and let them know, anywhere decent will investigate.
Noro is a nightmare in hotels / weddings etc as you have so many people in close proximity and sharing facilities. Lots of people have poor hygiene 🤢
Environmental health would require a list of absolutely everything you ate and drank for 24hrs + prior to illness.
The amount of time food poisoning takes varies greatly.

itsabitofamess Mon 17-Feb-20 10:42:29

My friend and her husband caught salmonella from a very nice restaurant. Environmental health ended up being involved. So yes, I would report.

Justaboy Mon 17-Feb-20 10:44:39

Well tell them anyway they ought to check their procedures just in case they do have a problem.

Norovirus or not..

Icecreamdiva Mon 17-Feb-20 10:45:52

Tell them.

Drum2018 Mon 17-Feb-20 10:46:50

I would contact the hotel to let them know.

Bumblesbumbles Mon 17-Feb-20 10:47:42

Contact environmental health teams first as they may be able to sample food without it getting thrown

Lionsleepstonight Mon 17-Feb-20 10:49:40

I would and tell environmental health. Think you'll need to save a stool sample if you feel the need to take it further. Then they can test it.

Blondie1092 Mon 17-Feb-20 10:56:44

Thanks for the support! I rang and I'm waiting on a manager to call back. No idea on what exactly I'm going to say, I dont want to throw any accusations about either as it could indeed just be a bug we have all caught. But definitely feel like they need to know just incase more have been affected.
@Lionsleepstonight no idea how they're going to get a stool sample from me, I'm going to have nothing left at this point 😂
I'm feeling progressively worse as the morning goes on, shivering/sweating, feeling extremely nauseous. Don't even know if it's worth taking any tablets when I can't even keep water down 😭
Has anyone guessed that I'm not a good patient yet? lol

Oakmaiden Mon 17-Feb-20 10:58:04

Some food poisoning is notifiable. Your local council should have a food safety section and be able to arrange testing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »