Talk

Advanced search

To ask for the question you always get asked, when the person saying it thinks they're the first person to say it.

(579 Posts)
GetMeOffThisCycleOfMisery Sun 16-Feb-20 18:22:41

Light-hearted.

Examples. As a teen I worked in a shop, sometimes something doesn't scan and the customer (if paying attention) without fail would say, "Oh, that's free then?" Followed by a chuckle.

I wear very high heels a lot, I get told all the time, "How you don't break your neck in those, I'll never know!"

The latest one, my DP is a head chef, people always say, "Oooh, I bet you get loads of lovely meals cooked for you!" I bloody wish, it's a Busman's Holiday for him, he doesn't want to cook after a day in the kitchen. 😆

VodselForDinner Sun 16-Feb-20 18:24:19

“What’s the weather like up there”.

I’m tall.

Greenandcabbagelooking Sun 16-Feb-20 18:24:49

My surname is the name of a football team. I always get asked "Do you support X team?". Every teenager thinks they are the first person to ask me. They are wrong.

No!

logicbook Sun 16-Feb-20 18:25:55

"Oh, so you really love babies then?!"
I'm a midwife, actually babies out of the womb are a fairly small part of my job!

SleepingStandingUp Sun 16-Feb-20 18:26:12

Two tiny matching babies in a twin buggy.
" Are they twins?

leghairdontcare Sun 16-Feb-20 18:26:16

Working in a call centre:

Is there anything else you need today?

Do you have Saturday's lottery numbers?

(Yes, I have the ability to predict the lottery, yet here I am working in a call centre for 12k a year)

ProfessorofCunning Sun 16-Feb-20 18:26:33

You’ve got your hands full

I have more than 2 children 🙄

Pipandmum Sun 16-Feb-20 18:26:56

I used to be a cashier in a movie theatre. Every single screening some grownup would come and say 'oh I'm 12 can I have a child ticket Haha'. Every. Single. Time.
I'm tall. When I was younger I was constantly asked 'how's the weather up there'?

GetMeOffThisCycleOfMisery Sun 16-Feb-20 18:28:46

@VodselForDinner my ex I'd 6'5". If he had a pound for every time he heard that one.

Can't believe the Cinema one. Haha! CFs.

DrManhattan Sun 16-Feb-20 18:29:13

Are you Irish? You look Irish

Kirkman Sun 16-Feb-20 18:29:30

I was thinking of the lottery one. I also worked in a call centre grin

My surname is the surname ot a past prime minister. Always get 'oh are you related to x?' With a laugh and a wink.

Not funny after 30 odd years

Cotswolds10 Sun 16-Feb-20 18:29:37

With twins in the supermarket when they were babies/toddlers in the trolley seats. ‘Ooh, was it buy one, get one free?’

GetMeOffThisCycleOfMisery Sun 16-Feb-20 18:29:43

@DrManhattan What do you look like? That's so random.

FakeFraudSquad Sun 16-Feb-20 18:29:48

“Do you visit (country parents emigrated from) often?”

I get the heels one a bit too.

“have you any (name random nationality) blood in you?”

BuzzShitbagBobbly Sun 16-Feb-20 18:29:46

Is there anything else you need today?

Do you have Saturday's lottery numbers?

To be fair, ask (or be made to ask) such inane questions leads to equally inane answers.

Ilovelala Sun 16-Feb-20 18:30:15

Your name is the same spelt backwards

GetMeOffThisCycleOfMisery Sun 16-Feb-20 18:30:56

These people asking for lottery numbers, I bet they're a right hoot down the local and describe themselves on dating profiles as "wacky"! 😆

AlexCrowe84 Sun 16-Feb-20 18:31:03

Police officer. Whenever I'd walk into a pub (during the course of my duties) I'd get either:
"It wasn't me!"
"Are you the stripper?"
"She's here for you" (whilst pushing a friend towards me).

Hilarious. Every time... 🙄

Joans3rddaughter Sun 16-Feb-20 18:32:20

"How many children have you got?"
Being a Midwife it is often considered mandatory that you have children. No thought that Midwives also suffer infertility, pregnancy loss, stillbirth, neonatal death.

GetMeOffThisCycleOfMisery Sun 16-Feb-20 18:32:28

@AlexCrowe84 hahaha! Couldn't help laughing at that one. Sorry. Surely there must be a handcuffs comment chucked in for good measure.

Kirkman Sun 16-Feb-20 18:32:56

Are you Irish? You look Irish

I was born in Ireland. I constantly get 'you dont look Irish, really you were born there's

YES! I was born there. Yes I have dark hair and olive skin. My grandad is Indian. Now fuck off.

GetMeOffThisCycleOfMisery Sun 16-Feb-20 18:32:58

@Joans3rddaughter that's so true. flowers

glenhaggis Sun 16-Feb-20 18:34:31

You don't sound English.

Do you think I don't know that?

Icanseethepigeon Sun 16-Feb-20 18:34:29

My birthday is 28th Feb - when people find out they either tell me that I'm a Leap Year baby, or tell me how lucky I am to have avoided it.

ShesGotBetteDavisEyes Sun 16-Feb-20 18:35:00

Don’t you have a tv? (When telling people I have 4 dc’s). That or “are you catholic”!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »