Talk

Advanced search

Do I give him the ring back?

(120 Posts)
pingu777 Fri 14-Feb-20 20:54:05

The man I was engaged to has decided he doesn't want to get married. Or live together. Or have any life together.

He has asked what I'm doing with the ring.

AIBU to keep it?

(Lighthearted, of course, how can I creatively tell him that I won't be returning his gift?)

BlueJava Fri 14-Feb-20 20:55:50

I'm sorry OP, I assume you are really upset about it. Personally, I'd return the ring. General thinking is that you'd keep it as he broke it off, but I'd not want reminders of him and his broken promises.

woodn Fri 14-Feb-20 20:56:23

Keep it and make it into a nice pendant

Slimmer2018 Fri 14-Feb-20 20:57:01

Well of course you have to return the ring. It was given as a promise of marriage and if you then decide not to marry then give the ring back.

Poohpooh Fri 14-Feb-20 20:57:53

He has broken his promise to you and the ring was a gift. Sounds like he wants the ring back as well. What a prince.

Would you wear the ring again (perhaps resetting the stone?)

If not, find out how much a jeweller would pay you for it. If it's a good amount, I would sell it and keep the money.

pingu777 Fri 14-Feb-20 20:58:20

I didn't decide not to marry, it was his decision.

Poohpooh Fri 14-Feb-20 20:58:25

@Slimmer2018 try again

TheDarkPassenger Fri 14-Feb-20 20:58:27

I’ve still got my old one. It annoys me that I can’t wear it because I like it 😂
I wear my new one though! Which I also like.

My friend gave her snack and he put it on Facebook marketplace, that was a fun bit of drama

lunar1 Fri 14-Feb-20 20:58:25

Give that he ended the engagement I wouldn't be returning it!

1Morewineplease Fri 14-Feb-20 20:59:16

Why would you want to keep a memento of a broken relationship?

ItsJustTheOneSwanActually Fri 14-Feb-20 20:59:58

He ended it? You keep the ring.

Cohle Fri 14-Feb-20 21:01:27

Sell it! Spend the money on a subscription to an online dating site grin

covetingthepreciousthings Fri 14-Feb-20 21:02:11

Even if you keep it, are you honestly likely to wear it again? I say this as someone who kept her engagement ring ( i wasn't asked for it back or asked what I was doing with it, if it makes a difference), and no, I've never worn it again, so I think if asked I would have just returned it.

I really loved the ring, but it was definitely an engagement ring style ring, and I felt like people (family, friends) would have judged me if I'd have worn it.

bumblebeefairy Fri 14-Feb-20 21:02:15

Agreed. He ended it so you keep the ring. I say keep it.... Sell it and buy yourself something you've always wanted, something totally frivolous!

Icantfind Fri 14-Feb-20 21:02:18

He broke it off = you keep it!

See what you can get for it at a jewellers

Singinghollybob Fri 14-Feb-20 21:02:24

It was a gift, like any other. Keep it if you like it

DonKeyshot Fri 14-Feb-20 21:03:22

If you're in the UK the giving of an engagement ring is presumed to be a gift and in law it's assumed that the person who receives it should keep it.

Given that he's called it off, he should also feel morally as well as legally obliged for you to keep the ring.

I suggest you tell him that you'll add it to your collection, or that you have a date with a pawn shop on Monday smile

momtoboys Fri 14-Feb-20 21:04:00

He ended it. You get the ring. Sell it. Toss it in the sea. Do whatever the hell you want to do with it.

Lockheart Fri 14-Feb-20 21:04:52

If he's ended it I think it's your right to decide what to do. Keep it, give it back, sell it, whatever.

Pardonwhat Fri 14-Feb-20 21:05:58

It was a gift. Keep it.
I can’t believe he’s asked what you’re doing with it!

Seeingadistance Fri 14-Feb-20 21:06:06

He broke it off. You keep the ring. Do whatever you want with it.

pingu777 Fri 14-Feb-20 21:06:23

It is beautiful but yes it signifies a broken relationship, and so I likely won't wear it. I just think it's very cheeky to ask for it back. I'd likely sell it in time.

FridgeOffal Fri 14-Feb-20 21:07:00

I'd pawn it and do something fabulous for myself with the money.

I'd also maybe tell him sure he can have the ring back, and give him the pawnbroker's address.

HitItAsHardAsYouCan Fri 14-Feb-20 21:07:41

I’d give it back. Why would you want to keep it?

DonKeyshot Fri 14-Feb-20 21:07:44

In USA law the giving of an engagement ring is considered to be a contract to marry and, no matter who got cold feet, if the contract is broken the ring is returned to the giver.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »