Talk

Advanced search

To think if you're sacked from your job, you don't get to keep the accommodation provided with the job?

(190 Posts)
user1490607838 Fri 14-Feb-20 14:49:21

Just that really! A man who worked in a school (as caretaker) for 17 years, has been sacked, and he and his wife are now 'sobbing' because they have nowhere to go!

Whilst it can't be easy to have to move out of the property you have raised your family in, surely they must have known that if he ever lost his job, the accommodation would have gone with it?!

They are trying to make out he was 'unfairly sacked' as he was finished from his job whilst on sick leave. But they have been asked to leave the home several times, and in the end had to be forced out

www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-sobs-we-nothing-family-21489077

AIBU to think they shouldn't expect to keep the home provided with the job, when the job finishes?

isseywith4vampirecats Fri 14-Feb-20 14:54:20

I think the way the council has done it has been harsh but yes if you have accomadation attached to a job then the accomadation is not yours if the job finishes and at some point he was going to leave his job so should have made long term plans to cover this,

nancy75 Fri 14-Feb-20 14:55:48

And he lost the job years ago, they are acting like he got sacked this morning & were turfed out by lunchtime!

AJPTaylor Fri 14-Feb-20 15:13:41

He was sacked in 2015 And has had 5 years of paying less than 90 quid a month rent whilst forcing the council to spend thousands of pounds to take it to the high court to get a writ of possession. 2 of the children are now adults.
Headline should be Anyone wanna sign this cheeky fuckers online petition?

Kirkman Fri 14-Feb-20 15:16:55

They are ridiculous ge hasnt had the job for years.

How could the council have been more accommodating.

They only got a few hours to pack because they did nothing in 5 years, and waited until they were evicted to pack their stuff.

BentNeckLady Fri 14-Feb-20 15:20:46

Twats like this think they should be given everything for nothing. He was sacked in 2015 ffs!

CuriousaboutSamphire Fri 14-Feb-20 15:22:41

Huh????

There are no words....

karencantobe Fri 14-Feb-20 15:25:16

Agree. But a family member had tied accommodation and had to move out after being sacked for taking sick leave with a heart attack. It was a very difficult time.

user1490607838 Fri 14-Feb-20 15:26:34

I know right. He was sacked ages ago, and still stayed in the (VERY CHEAP) accommodation that went with the job. Damn cheek!

user1490607838 Fri 14-Feb-20 15:28:42

@karencantobe I am sorry for your friend's husband, but this is different. The family was told 4-5 years ago to get out, and has been paying heavily subsidised super cheap rent all that time (when he wasn't even working for them!)

As an aside, the kids are gorgeous. smile

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 14-Feb-20 15:28:42

90 quid a MONTH? Surely they've saved and therefore can buy a mansion now...

Meaniebobeanie Fri 14-Feb-20 15:29:29

So would that mean the person who took the job on had no accommodation because he refused out. That's selfish

MynameisJune Fri 14-Feb-20 15:31:33

Cheeky fuckers have no idea they’re cheeky fuckers in shock story, or not. They’ve had it good for 17 years, should have been able to save a small fortune with that amount of rent. But again no.

Kirkman Fri 14-Feb-20 15:34:23

With such cheap accommodation, knowing your job is tied to your home, you should save incase you need to move.

Someone should get notice. To give them time.
But it's their responsibility to make sure they can.

JudyCoolibar Fri 14-Feb-20 15:34:46

I think the way the council has done it has been harsh

Hardly! They could have got them out two years ago but held off, and they've given them several opportunities to leave voluntarily since the Supreme Court judgment last year.

When she moans that their bedrooms aren't next to each other in the current accommodation, she really is taking the piss.

notsoposhdarlin Fri 14-Feb-20 15:34:51

As an aside, the kids are gorgeous

Creepy comment to make

Ihatesundays Fri 14-Feb-20 15:35:29

Ridiculous. He should have been out in a month barring special circumstances. CFs!!
My friend is in a NT cottage on site. She has to leave when her notice is up

HalfBiscuit Fri 14-Feb-20 15:36:47

£89 a month. Jesus Christ.

NameChange2PostThis Fri 14-Feb-20 15:38:03

I thought this was going to be about Sajid Javid grin

YANBU they are CFs.

EL8888 Fri 14-Feb-20 15:38:57

That’s my CF of the week sorted. Weird / random idea but maybe some of them could rent a place?! He doesn’t have the job or accommodation any more, he hasn’t for some time

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 14-Feb-20 15:39:22

Creepy comment to make

It's also probably one of the reasons it's in the papers.

EL8888 Fri 14-Feb-20 15:39:40

@HalfBiscuit l know, even that a week would be a result

JKScot4 Fri 14-Feb-20 15:41:21

He was sacked in July 2015, they’ve only ever paid £90pm rent, so in the intervening 5years they never thought to save or look for another home?
Typical sad face stories, muddying the facts to get sympathy. They will have been given a date to vacate.

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 14-Feb-20 15:43:08

Also, if I was a parent at the school, having a bunch of randoms, not subject to police checks, living on school grounds would be a worry.

"who lives in that house?" "yeah it's the old caretaker who was sacked and his adult children". "ummmmmm OK"

KatherineJaneway Fri 14-Feb-20 15:46:47

Of course they are sobbing. They've lived cheaply for years. Will be a huge shock to their system to have to work and provide for themselves like everyone else.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »