Talk

Advanced search

What has happened to crisps???

(120 Posts)
sophiechitt Fri 14-Feb-20 14:04:10

I went to enjoy a pack of salt and vinegar Mccoys today, remembering the strong tongue-tingling sensation they left my tongue - filled with flavour and exciting, however, today this was not the case - I've tried a couple of packs and all of them have less flavour than I remember??? Is this trying to reduce calories or keeping the cost down?? I don't know but I'm not impressed. Would love to hear others opinions xxx

Turbotastic Fri 14-Feb-20 14:09:39

I agree OP. I bloody love crisps, to the extent where I had to cut them out of my diet completely as I was eating way too many and just couldn't be trusted with them if they were in the house.

Occasionally I will treat myself to a packet but when I do they just aren't the same, flavour wise! The only ones I've tried recently that still have that amazingly strong tingly tongue flavour is discos.

TheSoapyFrog Fri 14-Feb-20 14:23:57

You're not wrong. The flavour has gone from so many crisps and snacks - wotsits, Nik naks, ringos, scampi fries... I used to love the feeling of losing the top layer of my tongue after a bag of salt and vinegar.

IAmDudley Fri 14-Feb-20 14:24:56

@Turbotastic beat me to it, you need salt and vinegar discos!

BeardieWeirdie Fri 14-Feb-20 14:25:17

Co-op Irresistible Sea Salt Chardonnay Wine Vinegar Crisps are your friends. Get yourself a big bag and a gallon of water - best salty, tangy crisps ever.

TheQueef Fri 14-Feb-20 14:26:21

The flavour and the crisps have vanished, you only get six crisps!

mummumumumumumumumumum Fri 14-Feb-20 14:26:25

try the mccoys chip shop salt and vinegar crisps. They burn your tongue and make the skin peel in your mouth. A MAZ ING

TwoleftUggs Fri 14-Feb-20 14:27:22

Posting to also recommend the co-op ones mentioned above. So tasty and strong that the top layer of my tongue usually peels off the next day grin

Mummyshark2018 Fri 14-Feb-20 14:28:03

Yep co-op ones are the best!

ginandgingers92 Fri 14-Feb-20 14:28:57

2nd vote for the co op sea salt and vinegar! They're amazing 😍

Lojoh Fri 14-Feb-20 14:33:53

YANBU

It's not even salt in Walkers any more, I don't think. Tastes like metal! Awful.

1Morewineplease Fri 14-Feb-20 14:36:47

I agree that crisps just don’t taste the same any more.
I used to be a huge fan of roast chicken and smokey bacon flavours but in recent years I’ve found them to taste more artificial and not resemble the flavours they are meant to.

I agree about salt and vinegar crisps too but don’t like the greasiness of the Co-op ones.

I think crisps have gone the way of chocolate tbh... I’m always full of hope when I open them but end up disappointed.

tobee Fri 14-Feb-20 14:39:06

Have they cut down on the salt? It'd be interesting what would happen if you added a bit of your own salt!

JillAmanda Fri 14-Feb-20 14:42:09

It'd be interesting what would happen if you added a bit of your own salt!

They’d taste saltier I expect 😐

SantaIsReal Fri 14-Feb-20 14:43:46

Another one for the Salt & Vinegar discos!
Also found that pringles have been full of flavour lately! Will need to give the co-op ones a try!

BarbaraofSeville Fri 14-Feb-20 14:45:06

Might be a salt reduction thing, which is the latest government health campaign.

Like sugar, they've obviously decided that getting people to eat/drink less crap is not the way to go due to the financial might of the mega multinationals so they will mess with the formulation so you can continue to consume loads, but it will taste like shite.

Snooper22 Fri 14-Feb-20 14:50:17

Kettle salt and vinegar are my faves.

thefairyfellersmasterstroke Fri 14-Feb-20 14:52:59

I find with many brands, but especially McCoys, it can be hit or miss. I love the flame-grilled steak ones, but with some packets it feels like a duff batch that missed the flavouring. Other times the flavour is overpowering (brilliant! grin).

I think Golden Wonder are the most consistent, but they don't seem to do beefy ones any more so I rarely have them.

FurryMuzzle Fri 14-Feb-20 14:56:37

Nik Naks are the biggest bloody tragedy.

They ued to be really crisp and crunchy and super packed with flavour. They are now soft and bland sad

AlexaAmbidextra Fri 14-Feb-20 14:59:31

For the first time in years I had a packet of Cheddars last week. I ate about three and chucked the rest in the bin. There wasn’t a hint of cheese flavour and they had a nasty greasy texture. Looked at the ingredients and bingo, fucking palm oil. ☹️

ThatDreamSheep Fri 14-Feb-20 14:59:46

Coming on for another co-op recommendation!

Whatsnewpussyhat Fri 14-Feb-20 15:01:01

The worst for me are Smith's Squares. They have been ruined. Assuming to cut costs they have now been made so thin and shrivelled they shouldn't even be allowed to call them squares anymore.

GoBackToPartyCity Fri 14-Feb-20 15:01:13

does anyone remember the extra packet of salty goodness they used to put in Discos?

captainpantbeard Fri 14-Feb-20 15:01:47

Pickled onion monster munch are just shit now 😢

Tesco own brand s&v are pretty tangy

Whatsnewpussyhat Fri 14-Feb-20 15:02:13

S+V hoola hoops aren't too bad still

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »