Talk

Advanced search

To be concerned about Boris Johnson's re-shuffle?

(262 Posts)
AlexaShutUp Thu 13-Feb-20 23:47:18

I'm no fan of either Boris Johnson or Sajid Javid, but I'm not really intending to make any political points in this thread. I'm resigned to having a right wing Tory government, but I am concerned about the shift in power that seems to have occurred, and by Johnson's apparent power grab.

Specifically, I'm concerned about the circumstances of Javid's departure from the Treasury. Javid's position was made untenable and I understand why he walked out, but surely it's much better for the country if the PM has some challenge from number 11, rather than a puppet that merely does their bidding - which I suspect Javid's successor will turn out to be.

A healthy democracy needs to have plenty of checks and balances with regard to those in power, and I'm worried that these are being eroded. Meanwhile, the power of unelected advisers like Dominic Cummings appears to be ever growing.

Littletabbyocelot Thu 13-Feb-20 23:49:42

I feel the same way

tobee Thu 13-Feb-20 23:55:04

It's the Cummings bit that worries me. Normally (or maybe in fiction) you expect someone like that to overreach themselves and be handed their arse. But Johnson is, I think, extremely weak. He has many foibles and is incredibly lazy so will let Cummings do whatever he likes. angry I think the country has given Johnson a highly dangerous mandate.

mouldygrapes Thu 13-Feb-20 23:56:48

It’s very worrying.

Raab, Patel and Gove staying put. Very concerning to have a junior minister in no 11 who will likely do Dominic Cummings’ bidding without putting up a fight.

Suella Braverman is unreserved in her criticism of the judiciary- citing the challenges on prorogation and Gina Miller’s A50 challenge as reasons that “the courts have to much power”. She’s already parroting the “take back control” line

Rosspoldarkssaddle Thu 13-Feb-20 23:58:27

Why did they kick Leadsom into touch? So much for rewarding the loyal

NeverTwerkNaked Fri 14-Feb-20 00:00:46

Yanbu. Something very dangerous is developing.
Suella Braverman is the darling of the far right. She has no place in parliament let alone in the cabinet. And similar could be said for all the cabinet.

I am fairly political neutral. Certainly not s Tory party. But the far right have just used the Tory party as a Trojan horse.

ZombieFan Fri 14-Feb-20 00:01:22

Not sure what you are concerned about. The country voted to have Boris as PM and to run the country. He is now PM and running the country. What are you concerned about?

NeverTwerkNaked Fri 14-Feb-20 00:01:26

*not a Tory party hater that should say

AlexaShutUp Fri 14-Feb-20 00:01:28

Very concerning to have a junior minister in no 11 who will likely do Dominic Cummings’ bidding without putting up a fight.

Yes, I think it's this that is particularly concerning me. I don't want Dominic Cummings pulling all of the strings behind the scenes.

And Suella Braverman as Attorney General is a bloody joke. But not a funny one....

DippyAvocado Fri 14-Feb-20 00:02:56

Full of Cummings Yes Men/Women. It's just another way to stifle debate. I believe there is discontent with him in the Tory ranks though. Rumblings that he's good for an election campaign but bad for government. Good for Javid for speaking out.

AlunWynsKnee Fri 14-Feb-20 00:04:03

But Cummings being in charge is not a surprise. He is the de facto PM. Johnson isn't interested in the hard work of office so he does the bluster in front of the cameras while Cummings tears down the machinery of the Civil Service.

AlexaShutUp Fri 14-Feb-20 00:04:28

The country voted to have Boris as PM and to run the country. He is now PM and running the country. What are you concerned about?

As I said in my OP, I am resigned to having Boris Johnson as PM. I don't like it, but I accept the election result.

I am concerned about too much undiluted power residing with too few individuals. Some of them unelected by anyone.

AlexaShutUp Fri 14-Feb-20 00:06:14

He is the de facto PM. Johnson isn't interested in the hard work of office so he does the bluster in front of the cameras while Cummings tears down the machinery of the Civil Service.

This is what frightens me. Especially when potential voices of dissent from within the government are being systematically removed.

Womenwotlunch Fri 14-Feb-20 00:08:01

Totally agree Op
I actually feel very uncomfortable about this

JingsMahBucket Fri 14-Feb-20 00:18:34

It’s essentially a silent coup.

AdoptedBumpkin Fri 14-Feb-20 00:29:23

What is the issue with Braverman? I seem to remember some controversy but can't remember any details.

AutumnRose1 Fri 14-Feb-20 00:31:18

Zombie “ Not sure what you are concerned about. The country voted to have Boris as PM and to run the country. He is now PM and running the country. What are you concerned about?”

This. And how is it a coup?

AlexaShutUp Fri 14-Feb-20 00:42:22

AutumnRose, I have already answered Zombie's point. I hate having a Tory government but I do accept that that's what the electorate voted for. That's not what I am concerned about here.

I am concerned about too much power being concentrated in the PM, rather than shared by the cabinet as a whole, and about the fact that the PM's lack of interest in any detail will effectively mean that we end up being governed by unelected advisers like Dominic Cummings.

We do not have a presidential system in the UK, and we do not have the necessary checks and balances in place for that. Our system is based on Cabinet government, but that won't work at all when the PM himself is disengaged from the detail and the rest of the cabinet are puppets.

I find it very sinister.

wobytide Fri 14-Feb-20 00:45:18

People who didn't like being dictated to by unelected bureaucrats elected a government run by an unelected bureaucrat.

People are right to be uneasy. A lot of people have to own what they voted for.

AutumnRose1 Fri 14-Feb-20 01:05:01

OP

You could say the same for Blair, Campbell and Taylor.

AlexaShutUp Fri 14-Feb-20 01:13:04

You could say the same for Blair, Campbell and Taylor.

Well, I wasn't any fan of Blair either, and as it happens, I did think that Campbell had far too much power at the time. However, I don't think that there has ever been any serious suggestion that Gordon Brown was just a stooge. There was still a division of power in Blair's cabinet that I do not see in Johnson's.

AlanRickmanFanClub Fri 14-Feb-20 02:09:49

Let's face it, you are not a Tory so whatever they did you would find something to complain about.

I am a Tory voter and although did not vote for Boris as PM, think he's doing a good job and I think Rishi with his business background will make an excellent Chancellor.

notanotherjigsawpiece Fri 14-Feb-20 02:25:35

I can’t understand why Julian Smith was sacked - he seemed to be doing a great job in NI, unlike his predecessor.

Whowantstogotothepark Fri 14-Feb-20 02:37:05

Julian Smith was apparently sacked for saying that Brexit would be bad for Northern Ireland and Leadsom was sacked for writing a piece about male-dominated working environments (oh the irony!).

The country voted to have Boris as PM and to run the country. He is now PM and running the country. What are you concerned about?

As pointed out by pp the UK is not run as a dictatorship. It should be a collaboration of input, experience and knowledge - ie the cabinet. But it looks like any petty infringement and a minister will be replaced regardless of ability. Very worrying indeed.

tobee Fri 14-Feb-20 04:26:53

Those Tories who say the same could be said about Campbell etc as is said about Cummings, were you happy about that happening then?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »