Talk

Advanced search

to not let daughter do cheerleading?

(464 Posts)
undercoverfunster Thu 13-Feb-20 13:41:30

Am I BU? She's 8, school have a cheerleading club once a week. ( they don't actually cheer a team, just learn routines) Some of the 'cool' girls do it, so now she wants to. I think it's pointless, sexist and outdated. And the 'cool' girls are also the not-very-nice ones in her year, who make fun of her for being in the football team.

She''s a VERY active kid, plays football and tennis competitively, swims, runs, plays basketball. All of which she loves so doesn't need the exercise.

She has tried various 'girls' activities over the years ( to try to keep in with the 'cool' girls) but gets bored of them quickly ( dance, gymnastics, musical theatre, ballet, netball).

I just think cheerleading is shite! And sends the wrong message to girls - don't cheer for the team be IN the bloody team.
And I sure a heck don't want her quitting something useful to try it for 2 months and get bored...

Blackandgreenteas Thu 13-Feb-20 13:42:48

I think it’s shite too, but I’d let her do it if she wanted, as that’s just my opinion.

Mychitchatdays Thu 13-Feb-20 13:43:41

What type of cheerleading is it? Have you watched cheer on Netflix? I would let her if it's what she wants to do.

firstimemamma Thu 13-Feb-20 13:44:11

I'd let her do it but just my opinion.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Thu 13-Feb-20 13:44:35

I think YABU and thinking about it way too deeply- its a fun activity (ok primarily undertaken by girls- but so what).

Ellisandra Thu 13-Feb-20 13:44:39

Cheer is a sport. My daughter’s 11yo friend just won a regional final with her team - fantastic routine, hard, graceful, exciting.
Nobody I know whose child does cheer, does it attached to a sports team. We do not live in an American teen movie!

RandomMess Thu 13-Feb-20 13:44:50

Depends what sort of Cheer it is???

If it's all star Cheer it isn't supporting a team it is the team and it's gymnastics tumbles, stunt groups and a bit of dance. No chants or poms poms...

Star81 Thu 13-Feb-20 13:44:58

Girls often want to do dance related things and cheerleading is one of them. Totally harmless fun so if she wants to do it why not ?

strawberry2017 Thu 13-Feb-20 13:45:49

Whatever you do don't let her join one of the local clubs, they take over your life. Literally!
At least the school one is only once a week
Although I agree completely pointless.

GrumpyHoonMain Thu 13-Feb-20 13:45:52

Cheerleading is basically outdoor gymnastics and definitely doesn’t have the reputation it used to. DN does it and they have to wear unisex sportswear (no rara skirts or anything that shows more flesh then ballet would) and do strength training. She’s 7 and has been doing it a few years now - she’s really strong and fitZ

Pukkatea Thu 13-Feb-20 13:47:06

If she didn't like dance, gymnastics or performance I don't see how she would like cheerleading, it's basically a combination of those.

Proper 'athletic' cheerleading is awesome and cool and not sexist at all. Poms poms and 'go team go' maybe not so great.

PureAlchemy Thu 13-Feb-20 13:47:42

I’ve seen some cheerleading routines on TV and some of them look really dangerous.

I don’t suppose they let 8 yr olds in a school club do the dangerous stuff - at least I’d hope not - but that would be my major concern, if she continued taking an interest in it.

WinterCat Thu 13-Feb-20 13:47:48

Surely it’s only sexist is the boys can’t be cheerleaders as well?

The school bullying is a separate issue that you need to address with the school. However, if she feels she can fit it and not be perceived as a victim by the bullies, I think a lot of us can understand that.

legalseagull Thu 13-Feb-20 13:48:10

You do realise it isn't a teen American movie? It's a hardcore sport now. Let her do it. Like you say, she might get bored anyway. I'd be more concerned about her desire to fit in with these mean girls

undercoverfunster Thu 13-Feb-20 13:49:39

'Cheer is a sport.' No, it isn't not in her UK primary it isn't!
It's 'cheers' and pompoms. No gymnastics.

Bluerussian Thu 13-Feb-20 13:50:00

Let her give it a go. She may be very good at it, better than the so called 'cool' girls. She'll soon tell you if she doesn't take to it.

I've seen it on television and some of it is quite amazing.

undercoverfunster Thu 13-Feb-20 13:51:01

Oddly enough no boys want to join the club, but there's nothing to stop them. Just like they can join in netball but don't. Or dance, but don't.
Or the fact the school has a boys football team but no girls football team...

SoupDragon Thu 13-Feb-20 13:51:39

I think a primary school cheerleading club is more likely to be of the Pom-Pom variety than the gymnastic version.

I'd still let her do it though.

LoveNote Thu 13-Feb-20 13:52:06

is the cheerleading class just girls only then? or can boys attend if they choose?

and do cheerleaders in general not cheer on girls teams too? we have cheerleaders attend for marathons and half marathons

i think cheerleading is moving with the times a bit more

pollyputthepastaon Thu 13-Feb-20 13:52:59

Yep sexist shit.

Teaching girls to cheer and shout for boys sports teams.

As you say, don’t cheer for the team, be in the team!!

No daughter of mine would do it.

sweeneytoddsrazor Thu 13-Feb-20 13:53:17

Its absolutely nothing like teenage American movies. Its very physical and tough.

FizzyIce Thu 13-Feb-20 13:53:40

Yabu and the ironic thing is you’re being sexist to assume it’s just for girls ..

Damntheman Thu 13-Feb-20 13:54:21

Ah let her try out whatever she wants. You can talk her through sexism and stuff at home, but it should still be her own decisions and her own lessons to learn. You could also show her what competitive cheerleading is like so she knows what cheer really could be. It's an intense and very physically demanding sport, cheerleaders are every bit as much athletes as sports teams on the field.

Sweetdreamer93 Thu 13-Feb-20 13:54:25

Many people do pole dancing for exercise, couldn’t you look at this the same?

undercoverfunster Thu 13-Feb-20 13:54:30

They practice cheers with pom poms, they don't actually cheer for a team. Boys could attend but don't.
She's getting grief for footie as she's been scouted by a professional club, so I don't think cheerleading will help. She's going to get hassle for that regardless.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »