Talk

Advanced search

To put a passive aggressive post on Facebook because one of DC's friends knocked over my computer and (I think) smashed my Apple Watch during a sleepover!

(65 Posts)
being40 Wed 29-Jan-20 14:24:39

Just to say as can't be 100% sure as I didn't see it happen. But my DC had her friend over on Friday night. The friend is quite boisterous and at some point my computer charger was taken out of its socket (it was charging my laptop) and knocked over. At the same time my watch appears to have been stood on as cracks appeared the next day. I'm fuming but there's nothing I can do.
My DC wasn't sitting near the computer but the friend was. I only went to the shops (they are both 11) to get some breakfast.
Watch was a birthday/Christmas present from my DH!

DisplayPurposesOnly Wed 29-Jan-20 14:30:03

That would be hugely unreasonable, yes.

If you've got something to say, say it; otherwise shut up. By all means have a proper conversation with the child and their parent, but don't 'communicate' thru passive-aggressive nonsense on FB.

Also, you might want to reconsider your risk assessment. Risk: boisterous child coming over. Mitigation: x, y and z to reduce likelihood of damage or injury.

Drum2018 Wed 29-Jan-20 14:30:12

You know the child is boisterous. You shouldn't have left them unsupervised. You were responsible for the child while he/she was in your house. So ultimately it's your own fault for not watching the children and your belongings more closely.

Out of curiosity, what exactly were you thinking of putting on Facebook? Was it something you hoped the child's parents would see? Did you tell the child's parent that the items got damaged? If not it would be pretty pointless posting about it on Facebook as they'd hardly cop on it was about their child.

Hahaha88 Wed 29-Jan-20 14:31:49

Oh bore on. It was your computer, your watch, your house, your responsibility. And jaysus don't go all passive aggressive cos you're miffed at yourself

CastleCrasher Wed 29-Jan-20 14:33:09

If you genuinely are considering this, can you please explain why - I've never understood it. If you want the parents to see it and react, then why not speak to them directly? If it's not that, then what is it?

PGtipsplease Wed 29-Jan-20 14:33:47

You’ve zero proof it was the friend.

This is a lesson learned. Don’t leave the kids unattended

puds11 Wed 29-Jan-20 14:33:55

Shouldn’t have left them. I’d be fuming if my DC was at yours and you fucked off to the shop. Totally unreasonable!

Microwavedtea Wed 29-Jan-20 14:35:00

YWBVU. Dont do it.

Kaykay066 Wed 29-Jan-20 14:35:22

@ 11? Surely you’d have put your things away safely prior to having a . Ask your kid what happened and ask she doesn’t let her friends near your stuff again, I’m sure your watch is insured?

SoupDragon Wed 29-Jan-20 14:35:56

Why was your watch on the floor and not on your wrist?

GreytExpectations Wed 29-Jan-20 14:36:30

How old are you OP, 15?

Facebook posts are insanly immature. Be an adult and just ask and maybe do a bit of risk assessing next time

ShesGotBetteDavisEyes Wed 29-Jan-20 14:36:33

You can’t do that - you don’t know what happened! Either speak to the mum and get her to ask the friend outright (though what if she just denies it?) or keep quiet. If the friend admitted to it - are parents likely to stump up for a replacement?
I’d be peeved too but it may end up being a case of your dds word against hers. Is it worth ruining their friendship over?

goodgodingovan Wed 29-Jan-20 14:37:09

What on earth do you think a post on Facebook is going to do?

TulipCat Wed 29-Jan-20 14:37:13

What are you hoping to achieve by posting on Facebook. If I was a parent of any of your daughter's friends (not just that particular one)and saw your post, I would definitely avoid letting my child go to yours in future.

Meemm Wed 29-Jan-20 14:39:15

Why the F would you post about it on Facebook? Just grow up and go get your watch fixed.

Or is this a reverse and your daughter broke the watch at a friends house and the mom is a psycho loser who posts things on Facebook for attention?

mnthrowaway202020 Wed 29-Jan-20 14:43:41

Have you asked your child what actually happened? If it was the other child, you should speak to the parents rather than post passive aggressive statuses

To any Apple Watch users reading this, buy Apple Care! It’s not too expensive and gives your coverage for 2 accidental repairs with a £50 excess - this repair will be expensive for OP to the point that it would cost similar to buying a new watch.

Also stainless steel models are more resilient than aluminium (provided that it isn’t being stamped on!)

MaryShelley1818 Wed 29-Jan-20 14:53:55

100% your fault!! You were the adult in charge, you left expensive items out, you were not supervising the children you'd taken responsibility for. You can't blame the other child's parents when they weren't even there and you have no proof. Claim on your home insurance.

Shoxfordian Wed 29-Jan-20 14:59:18

Yeah its a huge waste of your time to write passive aggressive nonsense on Facebook
Look after your stuff better in future

NoMorePoliticsPlease Wed 29-Jan-20 15:00:49

Ridiculous

WeakAsIAm Wed 29-Jan-20 15:01:37

Honestly what is going on today??? It's not the school holidays yet confused

ilovemyrednosedaymug Wed 29-Jan-20 15:03:24

YABU. If you have something to say to them then do it or forget it. Just make a claim on your contents insurance which should cover personal possessions up to a certain amount. The excess is usually quite low on that part of the policy.

Waxonwaxoff0 Wed 29-Jan-20 15:06:38

Anyone who puts passive aggressive posts on Facebook is BU. Man up and say something directly to them if you're pissed off.

Darkstar4855 Wed 29-Jan-20 15:08:03

YABU to post anything passive aggressive. You’re presumably an adult so just communicate directly to people and say what you mean.

CakeandCustard28 Wed 29-Jan-20 15:08:09

Why did you leave them out in the first place? Putting a post on Facebook is ridiculously pretty and childish, just ask them!

saraclara Wed 29-Jan-20 15:09:50

I can't believe you're even asking this. Such a thing wouldn't even enter my head, never mind be given serious consideration.

Seriously. I'd be interested to hear why you think it would serve any purpose at all.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »