Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours complaining about my dog peeing in MY garden

(70 Posts)
liferr Tue 28-Jan-20 16:19:52

Our back garden is extremely muddy right now due to all the rain. It means letting my dog out for a wee involves a major clean up job.

In order to avoid mucking up my cream carpets, it's a lot easier just to take my dog to the front garden (where it isn't muddy at all as the grass is extremely thick) in order for her to relieve herself.

This morning I got a letter from next door asking me to stop using my front garden as a toilet. I'm gobsmacked! In no way does her wee running onto their property. There's no smell or discolouration so not sure why they care. My dog does not disturb anyone (ie no barking) imo.

It's only number 1's we're talking about, she only poops at the park!

AIBU to ignore them completely?

I knocked on the door earlier as I was intrigued to know their reasoning. No answer.

(I've included a generic pic of a house with very similar garden and house proportions for context - sorry for random squares but have use photo from google and don't want to invade privacy of owners)

RatherBeRiding Tue 28-Jan-20 16:21:59

The cheek of some people! I'd be tempted to post the letter back through their letter box with the word "NO" written across it in large red letters. Nothing else.

NumbersStation Tue 28-Jan-20 16:23:09

They gave you a letter?

Bless them. grin. I’d be asking if they wanted your dog to pee on their grass instead.

Cream carpets and a dog though? You’re brave wink

KeepThosePlatesSpinning Tue 28-Jan-20 16:23:32

Agree - write a reply on it. It's my dog, in my garden. No, I will not stop using my garden in this way. How odd!

DesLynamsMoustache Tue 28-Jan-20 16:23:35

Absurd and bonkers.

TriangularRatbag Tue 28-Jan-20 16:23:58

Really not worth engaging.

Mrsemcgregor Tue 28-Jan-20 16:24:10

If you have a girl dog who squats to wee maybe your neighbour thinks she’s pooing and you’re not cleaning up? Which wouldn’t be very pleasant for the street I suppose? Otherwise I have no idea.

recrudescence Tue 28-Jan-20 16:25:07

I’d post a note saying I’d be very happy to discuss their concerns and to call round whenever convenient. See what happens.

antwacky Tue 28-Jan-20 16:25:34

The daft sods, I would be tempted to go out there myself and have pee an see how they like that.

Brakebackcyclebot Tue 28-Jan-20 16:27:02

Your garden, your dog, your decision.

I have a dog too, and we often let him out the front to have a wee. I see no issue. Does your garden even join onto theirs? From picture it looks like it doesn't?

XJerseyGirlX Tue 28-Jan-20 16:27:04

i would start weeing myself on my lawn , maybe take the paper out and do a number two... obv joking but their faces !

Rubychard Tue 28-Jan-20 16:28:01

Bloody hell thats cheeky.

LaurieSchafferIsAllBitterNow Tue 28-Jan-20 16:28:12

Ignore it completely, pretend it never happened.

If they ask if you got a letter then also deny it...and ask why on earth would anyone have any business interfering with how you use your property

Hopefully it will cause them to fall out. I spoke to her and she said she never got that letter I asked you to post...why would you not put it through her door like I asked or failing that make them think they are going crazy as they were sure they put a letter through

Fight fire with fire!!

Babynamechangerr Tue 28-Jan-20 16:31:50

I would write an equally formal but polite reply stating that what your dog is doing is legal and not causing anyone any harm or inconvenience as far as you can gather as it is on your garden. However if they'd like to come over to discuss their specific concerns and how it is affecting them then they are welcome to.

They won't, because they won't be able to give any reason for it bothering them other than that they don't like it.

TimeTravellersHat Tue 28-Jan-20 16:38:07

As a PP mentioned above I suspect they think your dog is male and is squatting to do poos.

I’d reply back, “Dear X, I have every right to use my property however I see fit (within the constraints of UK law). I’m curious as to what law you deem me to be breaking by allowing my female dog to urinate in my front garden? Regards, Liferr

sweetkitty Tue 28-Jan-20 16:38:25

I agree with @Babynamechangerr send a very polite letter back asking them why your dog urinating in your garden is affecting them?

Given the amount of rain we are having right now any pee is well diluted.

I once had a woman shout at me for allowing my dog to urinate on the rough grass on the path to the woods behind her house. She opened her upstairs window and shouted “are you going to pick that up?” I said “it’s a pee” to which she replied “aye right” (Scottish for sorry I don’t believe you). I could have invited her to come and inspect the evidence or lack of but chose to ignore her.

BanKittenHeels Tue 28-Jan-20 16:39:19

I would write them a letter from the dog and then throw one of those fake dog turds onto their garden but I’m a stirrer.

IntermittentParps Tue 28-Jan-20 16:44:02

Ignore them. They just don't have a life.

frickinlaserbeams Tue 28-Jan-20 16:48:31

"I am disinclined to acquiesce to your request"

Whynosnowyet Tue 28-Jan-20 16:50:03

Leave a potty in the middle of the grass and tell them she is in training...

TARSCOUT Tue 28-Jan-20 16:50:23

@sweetkitty aye right lol

Somanysocks Tue 28-Jan-20 16:52:10

Blot up the wee with their letter.

Wattagoose90 Tue 28-Jan-20 16:54:07

Post her poop bags through their front door.

Or ignore them and continue as usual for the rationale choice.

TheMaddHugger Tue 28-Jan-20 16:55:49

Only suggestions 🤐

cstaff Tue 28-Jan-20 16:56:42

@sweetkitty
In Ireland Yeah Right also means "I don't believe a word out of your mouth you lying little shit" or somethings similar grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »