Page 2 | To ask what the secret is behind the Maltesers box?

(281 Posts)
Poptasmagorical Sat 25-Jan-20 19:36:00

Just that really: what is the box design all about? Why is there the circular hole? What are the perforated quarter circles for? Is it all some advanced alien technology or am I just too dense to understand a basic cardboard box?

OP’s posts: |
FuckKnowsMate Sat 25-Jan-20 20:15:42

Oh dear I must be the only one who thinks they taste horrible out the box lately! They literally just taste like the actual cardboard box now! They never used to though!

Ohtherewearethen Sat 25-Jan-20 20:18:36

@Helena - how? I'm sorry but I don't trust people like you. Did you think they were After Eights?
I bought some earlier funnily enough. I hide them in the cupboard my husband never goes in simply so I don't have to share. Sharing maltesers is certainly not a 'thing' in our house and it'll be a cold day in hell before it becomes one.

nicenewdusters Sat 25-Jan-20 20:20:01

How do sweets get left over from Christmas?!

I have literally never had occasion to write that sentence. If I had a box in my house they'd have to be concreted under the drive to still be there at the end of January.

Ohtherewearethen Sat 25-Jan-20 20:21:03

@FuckKnowsMate, please don't think I'm being rude but did you check the date on the box? My husband got caught out buying a few boxes on 'special offer' and when I said they tasted a bit off I checked the date and yep, they were indeed literally off. I'm not fussed about fares normally but these didn't taste right at all. And I am a very experienced malteser quality control expert.

Ohtherewearethen Sat 25-Jan-20 20:21:21

*not fussed about dates

P1nkHeartLovesCake Sat 25-Jan-20 20:21:44

And for some reason malteasers always taste better out of the box Oh they sure do!

What I want to know is where to they all go? In my tummy apparently but I’m sure I didn’t eat that many....

NeverGotMyPuppy Sat 25-Jan-20 20:22:13

Did you think they were After Eights grin

fjreflycaramel Sat 25-Jan-20 20:23:41

That it contains foul sawdust chippings compressed and surrounded by a disgusting layer of palm oil and milk?

edwinbear Sat 25-Jan-20 20:24:14

How do sweets get left over from Christmas

Still got Easter eggs in our house. This is not due to superhuman levels of self restraint. It’s because I bought 962 of them blush

FluffyPJs Sat 25-Jan-20 20:24:39

Isn't the hole so that the inner lid can be attached to the outer lid whilst you are eating, keeping it out of the way? I think with the intention that you can reseal the inner lid if you don't finish them, which has never happened to me

SchadenfreudePersonified Sat 25-Jan-20 20:25:46

The design stops them falling out when you chuck the box across the room to your husband (and vice versa) because you're to lazy to get up and pass them properly!

But surely . . . no-one passes the box over if there are any left. Only empty boxes are ever parted with, because they are of no use any more.

People share Maltesers?

I've never heard of this either Snowdrops - urban myth, I expect.

nicenewdusters Sat 25-Jan-20 20:26:54

I had a Malteser bar this morning (not for breakfast, obviously).

"Teasers" I think it might have been called.

No.

Just no.

P1nkHeartLovesCake Sat 25-Jan-20 20:28:13

How do sweets get left over from Christmas

I imagine it’s the same people that have left over wine they freeze in ice cube trays for cooking I've seen it talked about on life hack Threads here, left over wine indeed confused how??

SchadenfreudePersonified Sat 25-Jan-20 20:29:35

We still have a big unopened box left over from Christmas.

What sorcery is this?

MotherForkinShirtBalls Sat 25-Jan-20 20:31:33

Dh went tidying today and found a malteaser Easter egg from at least 2 years ago. I was gutted it didn't have any malteasers sad

JigsawsAreInPieces Sat 25-Jan-20 20:32:04

We still have a big unopened box left over from Christmas

You can go off people very quickly, you know. envy i want Maltesers

nicenewdusters Sat 25-Jan-20 20:32:24

Yes, I think there are left overs people, then people like me (you?) for whom it never really happens. My version of a left over is the bit I eat on the way back to the kitchen.

Edwin I'm ashamed to say we've had to re-buy Easter eggs that were bought too early, and called to us from the cupboard when we fancied something "nice."

nicenewdusters Sat 25-Jan-20 20:35:15

Just wondering if Deliveroo do Maltesers. Maybe if you order 45 bags it's worth their while?

Imthevoice Sat 25-Jan-20 20:36:41

See. I’m about to give up on Mumsnet because it depresses me and then a thread like this comes along.... the whole point of Mumsnet imho.grin

lotusbell Sat 25-Jan-20 20:37:20

Also wanting Malteasers but me and OH in our pyjamas although I think I'm willing to go and get dressed!

MachineBee Sat 25-Jan-20 20:38:49

My DDs once thought that a box of Maltese’s was a perfect gift for a friends party. I‘ve retrained them. grin

Cherrysoup Sat 25-Jan-20 20:39:28

How do sweets get left over from Christmas?!

I have literally never had occasion to write that sentence.

I so agree! And people who say there’s been a bottle of wine open for weeks that they’ll never finish, what the heck?! 🍷😂

MutteringDarkly Sat 25-Jan-20 20:42:10

Can I offer up my one and only life tip as it relates to Maltesers? When idly fancying desperate for some Maltesers, but the DC are hovering about and there's a dangerous risk of either sharing the choc or losing it altogether, follow these steps:

1. Announce you're going to clean the kitchen (nobody will follow you in case they have to help)
2. Flick on kettle and wait for it to get noisy
3. Gently transfer Maltesers into a tall mug
4. Dispose of any packaging evidence
5. Loiter in the kitchen eating out of the mug, occasionally putting a plate or two away "still cleaning"

ineedaholidaynow Sat 25-Jan-20 20:42:52

Does anyone else refill the box with bags of Maltesers to try and pretend they haven't nearly eaten the whole box in one sitting, or is that just me blush

Wheelerdeeler Sat 25-Jan-20 20:46:41

I've just opened milk tray "left over" from Christmas..... we had a lot of boxes

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in