Talk

Advanced search

To not let neighbours put skip on my grass?

(239 Posts)
Sexnotgender Wed 22-Jan-20 16:05:30

Neighbours who are lovely, are having their roof replaced and want to put a skip on our grass for 2 weeks!

I’ve said yes to them putting the scaffolding on our property as long as any damage is rectified but I feel a skip in my front garden for 2 weeks is a little bit much!

Am I being a bad neighbour?

bakingdemon Wed 22-Jan-20 16:06:08

Where will it go otherwise?

ItchySeveredFoot Wed 22-Jan-20 16:06:20

It would totally ruin your lawn! Definitely say no.

MrsSpenserGregson Wed 22-Jan-20 16:06:58

No you are not being a bad neighbour. The skip will ruin your grass. You've already agreed to scaffolding so they can't say you're being un-neighbourly.

Laurendelight Wed 22-Jan-20 16:07:38

Unless they are paying to put new lawn down then say no. The grass will be dead in a few days.

PegasusReturns Wed 22-Jan-20 16:08:08

Why can’t they put it on their grass/drive/ whatever?

We really need a diagram....

timeforawine Wed 22-Jan-20 16:08:21

They'd have to returf your lawn for you afterwards

katy1213 Wed 22-Jan-20 16:08:42

That's a very cheeky request.

Whynosnowyet Wed 22-Jan-20 16:08:48

If the skip gets violated with prams /bikes /mattresses etc during the night the skip company won't take it away. It could be stuck on your lawn until ndn sorts out a trip or 20 to the local tip...

HunterHearstHelmsley Wed 22-Jan-20 16:08:53

I'd only agree if they paid upfront for a new lawn.

JustinesBentoBox Wed 22-Jan-20 16:09:42

Sooo. They're really asking "can we fuck up your grass for free, and we get a nice new roof out of it".

Why would anyone sane suggest that unless it came with a caveat that they'll returf the dead grass?
Even then I'd say no. Too much hassle.

They should have other options, it's time they explore them (e.g. paying more for putting it on a road, is what most people do).

Whoops75 Wed 22-Jan-20 16:09:45

Grass grows really fast
I would do this for my neighbor

nocluewhattodoo Wed 22-Jan-20 16:10:07

I'd only agree if they will put in writing that they will returf your lawn once work on the roof has ceased. Make sure it's in writing so they can't deny agreeing to it once their roof is done.

CalmFizz Wed 22-Jan-20 16:10:55

Yanbu

EL8888 Wed 22-Jan-20 16:11:51

Can’t they use their own drive or garden? I personally say no as it will ruin the lawn. Suppose they would have to put it on the road

Sexnotgender Wed 22-Jan-20 16:12:35

They said it’ll go on beams/roller things I think (sorry don’t know the technical term!), does that make a difference?

They have a very small drive area and we have a very large from garden. It probably wouldn’t fit in their driveway.

Helini Wed 22-Jan-20 16:12:46

Diagram please

Purpleartichoke Wed 22-Jan-20 16:12:51

My DH works really hard to have the grass look good. I don’t quite understand, but it really matters to him. I wouldn’t agree even if they offered to re-turf. That isn’t the same as a long cultivated, healthy lawn.

Geneshish Wed 22-Jan-20 16:12:53

Really? Its winter . Not like you will need the garden for bbqs and sunbathing. Just let them do it for the sake of good relations and make sure they will rectify any damage after the skip is gone.

Sexnotgender Wed 22-Jan-20 16:12:57

Front*

purplecorkheart Wed 22-Jan-20 16:13:13

I would say no purely because if other people start dumping stuff and cannot it into the skip they will dump it in your garden and there is a good chance you will end up having to get rid.

Tell your neighbour that you have spoken with your house insurance and they have advised against it.

Hoppinggreen Wed 22-Jan-20 16:15:06

Round here if you have a skip outside your house all sorts of dodgy people come onto your property to go through it.
Chances are they would come into your garden to do so and might take anything nearby as well - happened to us

Sexnotgender Wed 22-Jan-20 16:17:00

Why would a diagram help😂

Them small front garden
Us big front garden

I can see why they want to do it.

Might see if they can put it on our drive at the side of the house.

The drive is the opposite side to their house so more inconvenient for the workers but won’t trash my garden.

Butterfly02 Wed 22-Jan-20 16:20:43

Can they not get a permit and put it on the road they don't cost much and skip hire companies will usually organise it for you to.

Nanny0gg Wed 22-Jan-20 16:21:05

Can't they get permission from the council to put it in the road?

It's really not your problem.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »