Talk

Advanced search

I’ve just heard

(447 Posts)
TheSheepofWallSt Wed 22-Jan-20 11:30:00

CHESTER DRAWERS in the wild!

From a person I did not expect to hear it from...

WIBU to have thought that it was a myth?!

Sparklfairy Wed 22-Jan-20 11:33:12

I see it depressingly often. Although it's mostly 'draws'. I have to sit on my hands grin

It's funny when you see someone with overall very good spelling and grammar come out with stuff like this. I know someone that always writes 'surly' instead of surely. Every time. I bite my tongue when they ridicule others for daft mistakes wink

OhMeows Wed 22-Jan-20 11:34:40

I saw a recliner chair advertised on Fb marketplace as a "lady boy" recently.

LuckyLuckyWoman Wed 22-Jan-20 11:35:39

Hearing it could be their accent.

I'm from Yorkshire and it sounds like chester drawers when I say it, but wouldn't write it that way.

PumpkinP Wed 22-Jan-20 11:36:45

I see it on fb quite often

Marcipex Wed 22-Jan-20 11:37:02

I’ve heard some one insist the name Nevaeh is a myth, but I know a girl called this.
And you might enjoy a small ad that I had to read several times: ‘ For sale, dark red dafferder bridesmaid dress. ‘

Pop2017 Wed 22-Jan-20 11:40:49

I see this on social media all the time, on selling sites mainly. A friend of mine was recently looking for a ‘Chester draws’ on a selling page.. I’m not usually one to correct people, I’m not an a**hole but I was itching to comment on her post to correct her 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Sometimes I see ‘chest of draws’ too which annoys me just as much. 🤣

AryaStarkWolf Wed 22-Jan-20 11:43:06

That took far too long to understand what the hell you were talking about grin

Bezalelle Wed 22-Jan-20 11:44:17

I defiantly haven't seen that pacific word being used.

JingleAndTonic Wed 22-Jan-20 11:46:02

I see chest of draws all the time, never seen chester drawers! I have a friend on Facebook who posts food photos and she frequently has spag bowl, gives me the rage.

Joans3rddaughter Wed 22-Jan-20 11:55:23

Nearly as bad as "skelington" and "nucular war"

katseyes7 Wed 22-Jan-20 11:55:38

l used to work with a woman who fancied herself as the boss's PA (because she was learning shorthand and took minutes at meetings) even though she was basically just a typist who sat at the desk opposite me. (We shared an office but l did a different job)
She proudly announced to our office, in the presence of said boss, that she was going to 'replendish' the stationery cupboard.
l couldn't look at him.

katseyes7 Wed 22-Jan-20 11:56:56

Joans3rddaughter 'Nucular' drives me mad. Especially when used by newsreaders on tv.
'Secketry' is another one. Can't they see how these words are spelled?

catzrulz Wed 22-Jan-20 11:58:25

It is bad enough written down, but to hear someone say it (accent depending) is bad.
I remember seeing someone I knew would never say it had written it on a for sale site, so I'm hoping it is usually down to auto correct.

BuzzShitbagBobbly Wed 22-Jan-20 12:05:30

I'm on a FB page where things like this are shared, it's very funny.

Recent examples include
Waldrobe
Crashed walwat
Otterman
Dr Martians
Baby Cher
Chay Longe
Chubby Cheek

It goes on....

AllideasAndNoAction Wed 22-Jan-20 12:07:55

I bet they’ve got a dinning table as well.

Could have been worse, could have been a Chester draws.

Bowerbird5 Wed 22-Jan-20 12:09:09

Nevaeh is not a myth I have known several. One is about 18. I wasn't keen at first but the name has grown on me mainly because all the girls I have known have been sweet children.

Somanysocks Wed 22-Jan-20 12:09:36

I like to say skellington on purpose.

Thesearmsofmine Wed 22-Jan-20 12:10:28

Did they have an accent? As above in Yorkshire it can sound like chester drawers when said out loud.

Bowerbird5 Wed 22-Jan-20 12:11:04

I've seen dinning table in the newspaper along with quite a few other mistakes. You would think with spell check that journalists would proof read their work.

CatInTheDaytime Wed 22-Jan-20 12:12:19

Yes I heard a BBC reporter say "nucular power" recently. Don't they have someone to tell them how to read/pronounce things properly?

TheWomanTheyCallJayne Wed 22-Jan-20 12:12:46

I've seen a thread on mn where someone needed a restbite.

Somanysocks Wed 22-Jan-20 12:14:41

Ect. What do people actually think it means, it is etc.. ETC.

inwood Wed 22-Jan-20 12:17:28

Dont get me started.

The latest one foor me is the dropping of 'ing'. On of my kids is doing and I know she's copying her bloody teacher.

Swimmin
Walkin
Singin
Rainin
Eatin
Playin

Ad infinitum.

stophuggingme Wed 22-Jan-20 12:19:54

Fooming
Hostpital
Skelington
Burt
Lickle

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »