Talk

Advanced search

Anne Frank - should people have heard about her?

(350 Posts)
MilkTrayLimeBarrel Sat 18-Jan-20 18:32:27

Chatting with DH about where to go for a city break this spring. I suggested Amsterdam - lots to see, including tulips, canals, bikes and Anne Frank's house. He asked who she was? AIBU to think that everybody should have heard of her and what she stood for/did? I couldn't believe that he honestly had no idea who she was!

EineReiseDurchDieZeit Sat 18-Jan-20 18:33:56

Yes!

I would have thought her name came up in every school when doing the Holocaust?!

How old is your DH?!

YANBU

ManonBlackbeak Sat 18-Jan-20 18:34:50

YANBU.

You'd have to be massively ignorant to reach adulthood and not have heard of Anne Frank.

Aroundtheworldin80moves Sat 18-Jan-20 18:35:03

I wasn't taught anything about WWII at school. I was interested and read many books about it at home.

firstimemamma Sat 18-Jan-20 18:36:23

Yanbu. When I met my fiancé he didn't know who John Lennon was and it left me speechless!

EineReiseDurchDieZeit Sat 18-Jan-20 18:37:18

I did both wars at GCSE but I'm also fairly sure her name came up in English and as a suggested text fairly frequently. I read it at about 12-13 or so.

MitziK Sat 18-Jan-20 18:37:24

It's been in the National Curriculum for KS3 for at least 10 years to my knowledge and long before then, her story featured in children's television in the 1980s and drama. I suppose it depends upon how old your DH is and whether he paid the slightest bit of attention to the world around him and lessons.

puds11 Sat 18-Jan-20 18:37:38

Is he British? I’d be seriously shocked if my DH didn’t know who she was! My 11 yo is reading her diary!

@Aroundtheworldin8oves nothing at all? Ever? That seems very odd.

EineReiseDurchDieZeit Sat 18-Jan-20 18:37:51

@firsttimemamma 👀 HOW?!

bruffin Sat 18-Jan-20 18:38:01

Both my DC (22 &24) did Anne Frank in year 5/6. We have also been to the house.

SueEllenMishke Sat 18-Jan-20 18:38:59

That is pretty shocking and ignorant.

Fishcakey Sat 18-Jan-20 18:39:37

I have a history degree and studied the Holocaust and Anne Frank was not mentioned once. I know about her through wider reading and my Grandad bought me her diary when I was about 12. She might be on the school curriculum now but she definitely wasn't in the 1980s.

PositiveVibez Sat 18-Jan-20 18:39:41

I buy DD lots of books about important females in history, and rightly so, she is in every single book.

I can't believe, as a PP said, someone has got to adulthood and never heard of her.

As an aside, but relevant, I hate watching quiz shows when contestants have not heard of someone from history of great merit, whether it be music, acting, science, etc., And then say 'it was before my time' 😠😠😠

MilkTrayLimeBarrel Sat 18-Jan-20 18:39:50

Well - DH is early 50s but even so, surely he would have heard of her?? I am going to book Amsterdam and take him there to educate him!

GlummyMcGlummerson Sat 18-Jan-20 18:41:17

Yep! That's unbelievable!

Mind you my beat friend said "Who?" When I mentioned Albert Einstein one day. Never heard of him apparently hmm

MaButterface Sat 18-Jan-20 18:42:00

He sounds uneducated and ignorant.

bookmum08 Sat 18-Jan-20 18:42:39

He probably has heard of her but the name didn't instantly click in his head.
Like a PP I was never taught about WW2 at school (80/90s school days). Reading the diary was more of a female thing to do - the books official title is Diary of a Young Girl after all so a lot of blokes probably haven't actually read it.

puds11 Sat 18-Jan-20 18:44:07

I mean, even Justin Beiber knows who Anne Frank is hmm

Lockheart Sat 18-Jan-20 18:44:36

Honestly there are thousands of others just as worthy or significant as Anne Frank (and I'm not just referring to the holocaust or WW2, I mean all over the globe and throughout history), the vast majority of which we'll never hear of. It just happens to be Anne Frank who has made a larger impression on certain sections of the western psyche.

The history taught in schools, which for most people will be the main part of their historical education, doesn't even cover a fraction of a percent of human history.

I'm sure there are many things your DH knows which you don't, and vice versa. Surely the answer is to educate each other rather than ridicule him.

messolini9 Sat 18-Jan-20 18:44:44

Well - DH is early 50s but even so, surely he would have heard of her??

What? How could he not have?
I am late 50's & it has never occurred to me that people around my age group would not have heard of her. It's kind of like not knowing what Auschwitz represented ... did he miss a lot of school, or was he educated outside of europe?

SueEllenMishke Sat 18-Jan-20 18:45:03

bookmum let's not blame his complete and utter ignorance on the fact he's male.
It's insulting

londonrach Sat 18-Jan-20 18:45:08

Of course..99.9% would have heard of her. Anyone who hasnt lives under a dark rock. Yanbu....her story the reason i did history. Saying that her house upset me as not as the book...it felt vvv profit making and pushing you around. I read annes diary as my first book as a dyslexic and felt she was my friend. Thats one thing i like seeing in germany the little plaque outside a building saying where the person gone in ww2...wish there no need for the plagues but like the fact that that persons life is recognised.

firstimemamma Sat 18-Jan-20 18:45:08

@EineReiseDurchDieZeit don't ask me! I was mortified and quickly taught him the names of all Beatles members!

Aroundtheworldin80moves Sat 18-Jan-20 18:46:34

At Primary school we learnt about Saxons, Tudors and Vikings etc. Nothing more contemporary than Victorians. We learnt history by copying from a text book.

Secondary school- can't remember what we learnt. But WW2 definitely not mentioned!

I did learn Latin and Ancient Greek though.

Lockheart Sat 18-Jan-20 18:46:52

@PositiveVibez there will be billions of adults in the world who have never heard of Anne Frank.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »