Talk

Advanced search

Laurence Fox on Question Time

(1000 Posts)
SuckingDieselFella Fri 17-Jan-20 20:00:54

It isn't ok to try and shut anyone up with remarks about their skin colour. It doesn't matter if that skin colour is white, black or green with purple spots.

His fellow actors have been told to "denounce" him. It looks like he can wave goodbye to his career. What lovely tolerant people the ultra woke are.
www.thestage.co.uk/news/2020/laurence-fox-labelled-a-disgrace-to-industry-following-question-time-race-row/

74NewStreet Fri 17-Jan-20 20:03:33

Goodbye to his career? I don’t think so.

misspiggy19 Fri 17-Jan-20 20:06:51

He’s a bit tragic really. Got divorced, went through some mid life crisis, got the obligatory tattoos and now thinks he is some hard man.

Peapod29 Fri 17-Jan-20 20:08:19

He came across as a massive twat that has no idea that as a white male his life experience and notion of Britain as ‘the friendliest place in the world’ will be completely different from many other peoples (women/POC) for instance. Oh and this thread will probably be deleted.

PurpleDaisies Fri 17-Jan-20 20:09:40

I wasn’t impressed by him at all.

SuckingDieselFella Fri 17-Jan-20 20:09:53

@74NewStreet

Probably goodbye to his acting career but politics might be an option.

He's doubled his twitter following overnight.

jakeyboy1 Fri 17-Jan-20 20:11:00

I quite like him. He's making a lot of noise at the moment and doesn't give a shit what the woke think. He may have given a typical toff answer but the woman didn't help herself with what she said to him.

HeIenaDove Fri 17-Jan-20 20:11:28

Saw him on Gogglebox with his cousin Emilia. He mentioned fingering.

I could tell Emilia was thinking "Oh God no. There is one in every family.

Marmighty Fri 17-Jan-20 20:12:36

He's clearly a massive knobber. Imagine he would be actively disinterested in what any of us think or any sympathy. Suggest none of us give him a second more thought.

HeIenaDove Fri 17-Jan-20 20:13:16

I think the Windrush generation and the Grenfell residents would beg to differ with what he said.

SuckingDieselFella Fri 17-Jan-20 20:13:47

@Marmighty

Really intelligent point there. Well done.

derxa Fri 17-Jan-20 20:14:25

I've always loved him. This woke thing has to readjust to reality.

Maverick66 Fri 17-Jan-20 20:14:57

@Helenadove I watched him on goggle box. Thought he came across as a complete tit. Especially perking over Nigella confused

HeIenaDove Fri 17-Jan-20 20:15:04

If anyone at Channel 4 is reading this..............

Please consider coming up with your own weekly alternative to Question Time ......for the love of fuck.

Maverick66 Fri 17-Jan-20 20:15:36

*perving

YourOpinionIsNoted Fri 17-Jan-20 20:15:43

I think the whole "but you have x privilege so you can't have an opinion" needs to be challenged. After all, who defines what counts as privileged? To certain transwomen (ie, born male, now identifying as female) a woman who has suffered a miscarriage or had a traumatic abortion has "cis" female privilege and therefore shouldn't be talking about her experience in case it upsets trans women.

As Fiona Bruce pointed out in that clip, Priti Patel has said she doesn't think the press treatment of MM was racism. Why is she allowed to say that, but Laurence Fox isn't allowed to say the exact same thing?

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 17-Jan-20 20:16:04

He came across as a massive twat but the tweets calling on actors to denounce him were extremely unedifying and I hope it doesn't damage his career. Acting involves pretending to be someone else and speaking another person's lines so I can't see any reason why actors should have to have attitudes we agree with.

HeIenaDove Fri 17-Jan-20 20:18:06

Hes not worthy of shining Nigellas shoes.

GulliBelle Fri 17-Jan-20 20:19:06

Was it him who was whining that pointing out that he was a privileged white male was racist. Plus he has also whined how much his 'custody battle with his ex cost him - he had to sell his motorbike.

By all accounts not a nice person.

SuckingDieselFella Fri 17-Jan-20 20:19:27

25% of people think it's ok to shut someone up with a derogatory remark about their skin colour?

Wow.

ChazsBrilliantAttitude Fri 17-Jan-20 20:20:42

I am tempted to send him a copy of this book
www.bloomsbury.com/uk/why-im-no-longer-talking-to-white-people-about-race-9781408870587/

If you are white like me it is a challenging and eye opening read.

He displayed supreme arrogance. How can a white person from a privileged background think they can possibly dismiss racism as boring.

It seems like white people told black people what to do for centuries and now we get to tell them what to think and feel instead.

Casualbride Fri 17-Jan-20 20:21:04

He basically said that there’s no racism problem here because it’s such a lovely place. I think the woman in the audience was quite restrained in her response. He made me furious, has he done NO reading or research on the subject at all??

TinklyLittleLaugh Fri 17-Jan-20 20:21:09

Utter knobber. Unbelievably privilege, unbelievably thick.

PegasusReturns Fri 17-Jan-20 20:23:37

So frustrating - he’s been quite vocally gender critical recently and I had hoped it might open up the field for other celebs to engage their brains

MrsTerryPratchett Fri 17-Jan-20 20:23:50

He is a knobber. But sometimes you need knobbers as an antidote to competitive wokeness. Otherwise the left eats itself.

This thread is not accepting new messages.