Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why my friend was allowed to leave this appointment

(36 Posts)
busyweeks78 Wed 15-Jan-20 14:51:41

My friend attend a psychiatrist appointment about a week ago. She admitted to overdosing the night before and they just let her leave the appointment. I know they can’t use certain sections if you aren’t an inpatient in either a general ward or a mental health unit but surely these something they could have done to get her to get medical help?

KrisAkabusi Wed 15-Jan-20 14:57:29

What would you have them do? Tackle her and hold her in an office against her will? She still has rights. Sectioning is a difficult process for a reason.

Itsnotalwaysme Wed 15-Jan-20 14:59:27

Chances are if she was well enough to attend an appointment she hasn't done immediate damage with the OD so what exactly did you want done...?

CactusAndCacti Wed 15-Jan-20 15:02:33

Welcome to mental health services 2020, not improving lives since 2010.

Sadly that is the reality, days gone by she may have had a referral for community service support, but the reality now is there is little or no support.

Are there any local charitable support services?

HappyHammy Wed 15-Jan-20 15:02:47

did she need medical help, do you know what she overdosed on, was she able to take herself to hospital for a check up.

busyweeks78 Wed 15-Jan-20 15:04:50

She didn’t really give me many details of it.

CmdrCressidaDuck Wed 15-Jan-20 15:05:24

Depriving someone of their liberty is a very serious act. Presumably if she had taken an OD the night before it wasn't a serious or life-threatening one and she hadn't needed medical attention? In that case, there really would be no justification for sectioning her. People get to choose whether to participate in treatment, and forcing it on them will be counterproductive for all but the most unwell people.

Did your friend actually want inpatient treatment?

ChangeInTime Wed 15-Jan-20 15:05:52

Is your friend really you? You've a number of threads on the subject including admitting regularly overdosing. Do you want to be sectioned?

zoobincan Wed 15-Jan-20 15:07:15

I'm a bit confused. It was an appointment, why would she not be allowed to leave?

What happened re the overdose? Was the appointment already in place or was it an emergency appointment due to this? What happened at the hospital when she was in after the overdose?

CakeandCustard28 Wed 15-Jan-20 15:08:57

What did you expect them to do? Duck tape her to the chair? They can’t force her to stay.

Changedusername76 Wed 15-Jan-20 15:27:29

I have been in this position with my D. It very much depends on what she took, how much and when. They also look at the support she is getting from other services. They assess whether they believe that she is an immediate risk to herself and what immediate support she will have at home. Sectioning is a final final resort. Mental health services can assess and visit at home if needed. Suitable mental health beds aren’t always available and sometimes if a bed is available it wouldn’t be suitable e.g my D is 17 an adult bed wouldn’t be suitable.

Thoughtlessinengland Wed 15-Jan-20 15:27:51

Is this really about you? You have threads about similar matters to do with uou

FourDecades Wed 15-Jan-20 15:29:56

She still has mental capacity and therefore it is her choice whether to accept help or not. It is also her choice if she wants to OD or not.

busyweeks78 Wed 15-Jan-20 15:30:12

It’s not about me unfortunately I’m currently in a mental health hospital. I have a lot of friends with mental health problems as I’ve meet them through support groups etc.

HappyHammy Wed 15-Jan-20 15:32:12

Concentrate on getting yourself well, try not to worry about other people or your friends at the moment. You dont know all the details.

GertrudeCB Wed 15-Jan-20 15:32:20

Because the resources aren't fit for purpose. Mental health services are massively underfunded.

something2say Wed 15-Jan-20 15:34:14

And, people have to help themselves. No one walks around in our heads all day. Yes I work in the industry.

Cheeseandwin5 Wed 15-Jan-20 15:35:31

She must have been assessed and been shown as someone who was able to make her own choices on what treatment she would accept.
That said and as has bben mentioned, the Health service and especially Mental Health services have suffered from years of under investment. This means that not only are some of the staff not as competent as you would hope but also they do not have the time and resources to deal thoroughly with patients.

everpessimistic Wed 15-Jan-20 15:40:30

I imagine they assessed her and felt that she wasn’t a risk to herself or doesn’t have a mental health disorder. Sometimes people without mental health disorders hurt themselves and can’t be detained as they don’t meet the criteria.

everpessimistic Wed 15-Jan-20 15:41:20

Did your friend want to leave or was she hoping to be sectioned?

MzHz Wed 15-Jan-20 15:41:30

I went to see my psychiatrist after id got out of hospital having taken an overdose of the AD medication

He said 'you're not going to do that again now are you?' and wrote me a new prescription.

If I had tried to shoot myself, would he have given me a gun? ...

That was the day I realised that it was all utter bollocks in terms of MH care and that if I wanted to get better I had to do the work myself. I think that tbf I HAD touched rock bottom and the only way WAS up, it took a while but up I went. Hope your friend gets well @busyweeks78.

Much love and strength to anyone else suffering (((hug)))

gamerchick Wed 15-Jan-20 15:48:00

Once the girl I care for took an aspirin overdose and refused medical treatment. I rang the crisis team and asked for help, to which I got 'well what do you want us to do about it'.

The top and bottom of it was, if she died in my care id be held responsible, so I asked if I had to turn her out onto the street in that case. I was told I'd have to do what I had to do.

There is little mental health support out there. Not for patients or carers. Unfortunately people have to help themselves now, they have to want it.

Interestedwoman Wed 15-Jan-20 15:53:39

Even if people have suicidal behaviour/ideation they still assess and act on different levels of risk. If she'd left the building saying to them she was going to harm herself immediately, it'dve been different. And they can section people whenever and wherever if they think it's necessary.

Sometimes they don't section because they think it'll stop someone being involved with them in future. They will have seen that your friend wanted help and will hope she will come back to see them of her own accord, whereas a sectioning can mean some people avoid services in future.

I know it's easy to say, especially if you're not well, but try not to worry about your friend too much. All you can do is be there for her. She might've walked out of an interview now, but she walked in there seeking help. She'll be back xxx Hugs x

nameymcnamechangeagain Wed 15-Jan-20 16:02:05

I called the hospital when I took an overdose and they let me go when the guy from the psychiatrically team made me feel worse....i must admit, even I thought it a little odd that they were so willing to let me leave!

PaddyF0dder Wed 15-Jan-20 16:15:42

Not enough information given to say.

Overdosed on what? How many? Why?

Some overdoses require physics health assessment (a&e). Some don’t. Depends on what medication and what quantity.

If no medical assessment required, they still need mental health assessment. By a mental health professional. Whom she was with. So it may be that the psychiatrist felt no medical assessment was required, and also felt that he had assessed her mental health sufficiently that no further steps were needed.

Like I said, no enough information given here to say.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »