Talk

Advanced search

Workman continuously knocking on my door at 7am

(101 Posts)
Lauriepop95 Wed 15-Jan-20 08:19:02

I am probably being a bit U....

DD is 8 months and is in the middle of an awful cold, she fell to sleep at 1am last night after a lot of crying. We were both exhausted and I ended up cuddling her in my bed to sleep.

At 7am in the dot this morning, I hear a loud knock at the door, i jolted awake and checked the time. My parents are on holiday and I don’t have family that close where they’d turn up at 7 without telling me first. My baby’s father wouldn’t randomly turn up either. So confused as to who it is and since I’m a single woman with a baby I thought I’d just ignore it.

Well the knocks keep coming and I just can’t be bothered to get up as I’m still knackered. There must have been 10 seperate knockings now, spanning over 5 mins. DD started to wake up crying at this point.
Then the person at the door started constantly pressing the doorbell which is impossible to ignore as it’s so loud. I had to get DD up and went to the door.

At this point I’m worried it’s some sort of emergency as they’ve been constantly knocking.

Well open the door and it’s the plumber.

“Oh hi yeah you’re due a gas safety inspection and you haven’t answered our calls, been calling you loads”

Me- “I haven’t had any missed calls (this is truthful)”

Plumber- “well we have tried I think, anyway you need to get this booked in before 12th February”

Me- “right what about tomorrow then?”

Plumber- “oh you can’t book it through me, you’ll have to look the company up and give them a call”

Me- “so you’re here because?”

Plumber- “to remind you”

Anyway he went after that and I am now sitting with a crying DD who has only had 6 hours sleep but can’t get back to sleep as she’s over tired and ill.

AIBU to feel pissed off?

I just don’t like how he knocked constantly without letting up and then moved to the doorbell until I answered. He did t apologise either when I opened the door with crying snotty DD in my hip and rubbing my eyes

Vulpine Wed 15-Jan-20 08:20:40

hes a cock

Lauriepop95 Wed 15-Jan-20 08:20:54

He didn’t apologise * should say

OnlyFoolsnMothers Wed 15-Jan-20 08:21:20

Sorry who the hell comes round the chase an appointment you didn’t know you needed or wanted? Sure was legit?

OhWellThatsJustGreat Wed 15-Jan-20 08:23:37

That's awful, could you call to complain?

I hope your daughter feels better soon.

BigOldOakTree Wed 15-Jan-20 08:25:51

This sounds very suspicious, I'd be checking with your letting agency/landlord about this.

Lauriepop95 Wed 15-Jan-20 08:25:53

It was legit as I saw the company van outside and it is the one my landlord uses for plumbing services.

I have to ring them today to book it and if course I will but I’m feeling pissed off at what a CF he was.

Redcherries Wed 15-Jan-20 08:26:53

He's not ur to pop round to remind you, but I'm certain a note through the door with contact details asking you to call would have been more than suffice. What an unthinking cock, I'm guessing he was asked to pop in at some point so did it on his way to his first ob for convenience.

Hope your DD feels better soon.

WhereDoesThisToiletGo Wed 15-Jan-20 08:28:45

When you book it specify that he is not to arrive before 9am

Ishotmrburns Wed 15-Jan-20 08:30:38

Wtf? What a weird scenario. He sounds like a wanker. Hope you and dd get a decent nap today!

MrsToothyBitch Wed 15-Jan-20 08:31:13

A note through the door would have sufficed! I'd complain when you call. Both barrels. Hope you & poor Dd feel better. What an unthinking twat!

Lauriepop95 Wed 15-Jan-20 08:32:49

@Redcherries that’s my thinking too, just feel pissed off at his incessant knocking. Feels like he was trying to wind me up

KatherineJaneway Wed 15-Jan-20 08:32:51

You were far politer than I would have been!

NoSauce Wed 15-Jan-20 08:33:54

How bloody stupid of him. It should have been obvious that the occupants were probably asleep especially as you didn’t answer right away. I think you were very restrained OP. Hope your DD feels better soon.

Lauriepop95 Wed 15-Jan-20 08:38:17

Thanks for the well wishes for DD flowers

I will definitely complain when I call them today.

I did want to say something at the time but I’m lacking energy at the moment

Ginfordinner Wed 15-Jan-20 08:45:43

I don't know why they couldn't have written to you either. If he says they have been calling you did you check they had the right number for you?

blueheaven97 Wed 15-Jan-20 08:54:26

Why don't companies like this ever think of using email? So much easier and more convenient for all parties.

I wouldn't be happy with a random knock on the door either, and I often don't answer the phone if it's an unknown or private number (my feeling is, if it's important they can leave a message and I'll get back to them).

tmh88 Wed 15-Jan-20 08:56:53

Possibly if they were trying to call they might of been concerned at no answer on phone/door as you’re due a gas reading, you might of had a gas leak or something? Clutching at straws here though he’s probably just a nob grin

CakeandCustard28 Wed 15-Jan-20 09:00:06

7am isn’t even business hours. Way to early. Make sure you put in a complaint.

Clangus00 Wed 15-Jan-20 09:00:53

I’d be ripping raging!
A severe phone call & email to the company. I’d also be sending an email & phone call to the landlord!
Nah, I’m raging for you!!

Amber2019 Wed 15-Jan-20 09:02:35

The time they contacted is awful but they legally have to do the gas check. I changed my number once and they couldn't get me, never sent a letter for some reason and I ended up with a letter from the sheriff officers for it, they assumed I wasnt at the address as I hadn't answered so were starting proceedings to enter the house to do it. It may be that they thought you were at work during the day so came in the morning to ensure you knew and they would definitely get it done. Timing is awful though, sorry

Rosebel Wed 15-Jan-20 09:03:19

I don't really think he,was out of order. He didn't know you had a poorly baby who hadn't slept and a lot of people would be up or getting up at that time. He's probably be told to do the call by his boss, I doubt he wanted to. And if that's the time he was in your area, that's the time he'd call on you.
I understand it's rotten for you and your baby but I don't think he's at fault either.

MiniEggAddiction Wed 15-Jan-20 09:04:43

Sounds like a potential burglar checking to see if you're in at this time of day or whether you're a lone elderly person. There have been a fewbof those in my village, people coming round claiming to check the meter etc.

fruitbrewhaha Wed 15-Jan-20 09:05:04

Why are they coming to you directly? Thi is for your landlord to arrange. Or at least to tell you to liaise with the plambing company.

MiniEggAddiction Wed 15-Jan-20 09:05:46

If he really was the plumber then of course he shouldn't be knocking at 7am that's ridiculous.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »