Talk

Advanced search

to not allow my 16 yr old DD to have acrylic false nails??

(36 Posts)
poppy90 Wed 29-Aug-07 13:04:54

She is driving me insane, I think they'll ruin her nails & she'll have to have them done every few weeks and the cost!

chopster Wed 29-Aug-07 13:06:46

does she even have the money for the upkeep? They do cost a fortune. ANd my nails are still wrecked from having them removed back in March. A manicurist told me it takes about a year to recover them, and the damage is immediate.

wheresthevalium Wed 29-Aug-07 13:07:35

If you have them removed properly then the damage isn't too bad. The cost is high, would she be paying for it herself?

fluffyanimal Wed 29-Aug-07 13:08:54

Warn her that there will be damage if they are removed, and say if she wants them she can pay for them. She's 16 now after all.

serenity Wed 29-Aug-07 13:09:04

At 16 I'd say if she's got the money, well it's up to her. If you're having to pay for it and you don't want to, then don't smile That's why teens get part time jobs isn't it, to pay for daft things their parents won't buy?

fedupwasherwoman Wed 29-Aug-07 13:09:20

I think the cost might put her off.

She isn't assuming you'll be paying for such a luxury item is she?

happystory Wed 29-Aug-07 13:09:26

Well.....yes they do cost a lot to keep up to -have to have them filled every 2/3 weeks as your natural nails grow. But...if she had them on for a few weeks her natural nails would grow underneath and she could have the acrylic nails taken off..and voila nice REAL nails.

Just a thought wink

PersonalClown Wed 29-Aug-07 13:09:56

The cost will be the biggest issue. Not only for infills and/or colours and art but every 3-4 months she'll need the old set removed and a new set put on.
It's not cheap.

binkleandflip Wed 29-Aug-07 13:10:37

It is removing them that causes the damage - its applying them.

that said, if she pays the upkeep then I think she's old enough to have them

My friend has just let her 9 - yes 9!! yo dd have them - now that I cant believe.

LaDiDaDi Wed 29-Aug-07 13:11:04

If she's paying then yes, you are being unreasonable.

morningpaper Wed 29-Aug-07 13:12:11

yes I would let her as long as it is her money

clarevoiant Wed 29-Aug-07 13:12:47

YANBU dont do it!!! she will ruin her nails, its costs a fortune,and she will need infills every few weeks which costs more than a manicure. why not let her have her nails manicured and have a design hand painted on instead? Most nail bars only charge and extra fiver for this round our way. IMO this looks much nicer smile and natural.

Good luck!

poppy90 Wed 29-Aug-07 13:13:23

Yes she will be paying. Buggerhmm wink

poppy90 Wed 29-Aug-07 13:15:23

9 NINE??????????

clarevoiant Wed 29-Aug-07 13:15:45

ohhmmin that case I dont see there's much you can do. I assumes you'd be paying smile

clarevoiant Wed 29-Aug-07 13:16:12

...assummed...

clarevoiant Wed 29-Aug-07 13:16:39

or assumed even smile

poppy90 Wed 29-Aug-07 13:20:42

Oh I certainly wouldn't let her have them done if I was paying!! Another thing is the salon is a car ride away!! Do I take her as I'm anti?? hmm

fluffyanimal Wed 29-Aug-07 13:28:49

Can you strike a bargain so that she'll do you a favour in return for the car ride?

I would think that with a 16 yo it is better to be partially involved in these things in case outright refusal leads to going off to get a tattoo done in an unlicenced back alley place.

happystory Wed 29-Aug-07 13:34:47

She'll soon get fed up if it's car ride away. Let her have them done, she'll be bored with it in a couple of months

zippitippitoes Wed 29-Aug-07 13:36:35

if she's paying i'd let her..in fact i probably wouldn't have noticed

poppy90 Wed 29-Aug-07 13:38:02

Well she's a lazy so & so, maybe we can strike a deal!!hmm

Sherida Wed 29-Aug-07 14:32:32

Speaking as a nail technician, I can assure you that acrylic nails do NOT damage natural nails *IF DONE PROPERLY*. Neither does removal, although they may feel extra sensitive after for a day or 2. If she really is determined to get them done, ask around and see where is reputable. At present there is no law that states you have to be qualified to be a nail technician so people have been buying the do it yourself sets off of QVC then trying to set up a business - and getting sued. Please go to a salon that has a good reputation and uses proper products. Without wishing to sound xenophobic, be sure the technician understands English, as we have in our area a lot of foreign techs who do not understand what the client needs.

2 last points before I give up my waffle (sorry), is 1) that if it hurts, it's wrong (you'd be surprised how many people will put up with pain for pretty nails!) and 2) due to her age her skin may well still be fairly oily and the extensions may not stay on that well.

If anyone has any questions, please CAT me as I'm only trying to help smile.

lucyellensmum Wed 29-Aug-07 15:10:14

I must be a really bad mother - my 17 year old DD is currently on holiday, with her boyfriend! She has just had a tattoo that nearly covers the top of her back, with my consent but she had to pay for it, although thankfully she has never wanted false nails. I can't understand the attraction myself but hey, im a bit of a geezer bird.

On a serious note, is there a compromise - the upkeep sounds like a nightmare and i have no idea of the cost. Does she have the money to pay for it, because this could be a "i really really really want a hamster mummy and yes of course i'll look after it" syndrome. First time she will think it great then when she has to pay for it a second third time etc she wont be so keen. Personally, i would say if that is what she wants then advise and support, make her pay for them herself, or maybe a birthday present, yes, offer them as a xmas present and then she is bound to change her mind and want a nintendo wii or something like that later on.

Just a note though - the more you say no - the more she is going to want them. I was hoping that approach was going to work with the tattoos and numerous peircings hmm it didnt but anyway.

lucyellensmum Wed 29-Aug-07 15:12:43

FWIW i think nine years old is waaaaay to young as i dont think that children should be encouraged so dress in a "sexy" way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now