Talk

Advanced search

Gift bags. They’re just a bit naff aren’t they?

(307 Posts)
AnnDaloozier Mon 30-Dec-19 14:51:11

A bit Clinton cards, Facebook, live laugh love.
A gift bag user would have guilty pleasures and definitely not give head.

(Plus they’re bad for the environment of course)

mrscampbellblackagain Mon 30-Dec-19 14:54:01

I just thought they were for people who can't be bothered to wrap - the sort of people who don't iron wink

AnnDaloozier Mon 30-Dec-19 14:54:36

Oh good god.

Isitme13 Mon 30-Dec-19 14:56:09

How are they bad for the environment?

Every gift bag I’ve ever used has been one I’ve kept and reused - have never in my life carefully folded and stashed wrapping paper to reuse. So surely bags better than gift wrap?

Hopoindown31 Mon 30-Dec-19 14:56:30

Peak Mumsnet thread this.

Oh look at the unsophisticated plebs who use gift bags...hmm

AnnDaloozier Mon 30-Dec-19 14:56:42

But the card?

Summerandsparkle Mon 30-Dec-19 14:57:43

confused

AnnDaloozier Mon 30-Dec-19 14:57:53

You can’t write on the card twice. Can you?

iklboo Mon 30-Dec-19 14:58:31

Whu?

Isitme13 Mon 30-Dec-19 14:58:32

What about the card? It tears off easily enough, and I can’t think that anyone is bothered by not having a card on their re-used gift bag.

TeenPlusTwenties Mon 30-Dec-19 14:58:36

I use gift bags in addition to wrapping, when I need to carry a present to somewhere other than the recipients house, eg a pub. I don't buy them though, only reuse.

I generally think people who use them in place of wrapping are just being lazy, though these days they could be saving paper.

AnnDaloozier Mon 30-Dec-19 14:58:57

In ADDITION? 😫

PooWillyBumBum Mon 30-Dec-19 14:59:01

We use them because they can be reused again and again and we are trying not to buy so many “disposable” goods. I pop gifts in a bag then tie the top with a ribbon so you can’t see in. There are also a few drawstring cloth ones in rotation, which boomerang amongst our family/friend network. I don’t know anyone with decal stickers on their wall, but I have no plans to poll family and friends on whether they give head hmm

AnnDaloozier Mon 30-Dec-19 14:59:29

They come with tissue. AND wrapping paper?!

Oh no.

AnnDaloozier Mon 30-Dec-19 14:59:49

Lol @PooWillyBumBum

AllergicToAMop Mon 30-Dec-19 14:59:50

You just don't know how to gift bag

Isitme13 Mon 30-Dec-19 15:00:07

If I thought anyone getting a gift from me in a re-used gift bag cared more that there was no little matching tag card than the fact that I’d got them a (carefully thought out, natch) present then I’d swiftly be removing them from my gifting list!

foamrolling Mon 30-Dec-19 15:00:13

I remove the card. You can tie a new tag on or just leave it. I don't see how they are inherently more naff than wrapping paper. Surely it depends on the pattern?

mrscampbellblackagain Mon 30-Dec-19 15:00:26

I was shamed in the white co buying wrapping paper. Little girl behind me said how pretty the paper was, the mother explained to her they were doing Japanese style wrapping with old pieces of clothe as more environmentally friendly. I would have bet good money she was on mn wink

I do use gift bags for wine bottles for teachers.

Camomila Mon 30-Dec-19 15:00:42

Gift bags are great for the environment...the same ones go back and forth between me and mum for years, we have a stack of children's patterned ones that go back and forth for class birthdays.

NorksofPlenty Mon 30-Dec-19 15:00:41

Love a gift bag me, I also don't iron much, maybe there is a correlation. I'm also undoubtedly common. Jesus, this wasn't a feel good thread to open, I'm now lazy, common and naff, if only I could find some
fucks to give...

AnnDaloozier Mon 30-Dec-19 15:01:01

Lol @AllergicToAMop maybe it’s a sexual act they’ve not tried ? grin

TeenPlusTwenties Mon 30-Dec-19 15:01:33

Yes, in addition, so the recipient can carry the present away easily from pub or village hall, probably when they might have 10 other presents to carry too. Nicer for a gift than a carrier bag. But I don't buy them. I seem to get given more gift bags than I give away.

Noflora Mon 30-Dec-19 15:01:34

I am quite amused by your claims in your OP, they are all wrong for me ie I don't use Facebook, loathe inspirational shite, never go in a card shop, give great head, often and none of my pleasures are secret or make me feel guilty.

And I am still reusing giftbags from many years ago. As a family we just keep them going round in a present-giving cycle.

InsertFunnyUsername Mon 30-Dec-19 15:01:49

I prefer to receive gift bags, cos I'm a tight arse who will re use it grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »