Talk

Advanced search

To ask for your Christmas CFuckery stories?

(319 Posts)
bluesteakandcheese Mon 30-Dec-19 10:25:37

I am currently laid up in bed feeling like utter garbage, spent last night being sick so I'm exhausted but can't sleep.
Anyway - as you can imagine I'm pretty bored (DH is staying away from me in case I've got a virus apart from to bring me water) so WIBU to ask for your Christmas CF stories to keep me entertertained?

bluesteakandcheese Mon 30-Dec-19 10:26:23

...pretty sure I turned the voting off for this!!confused

Clevererthanyou Mon 30-Dec-19 11:29:32

I don’t have any cfery for you op but my Nan in law gave me a bag full of herbs, spices and seasonings yesterday and not a single one was in date? fgrin

Clevererthanyou Mon 30-Dec-19 11:30:20

This is the oldest one ☝️

StillCoughingandLaughing Mon 30-Dec-19 11:46:05

grin I love the ancient spices! It makes me feel less bad about the bottle of wine vinegar from 2003 I found at the back of my cupboard blush I’ve moved twice since then!

whiskeyandice Mon 30-Dec-19 11:47:08

My MIL gifted back a present to my mum. That my mum has got her.

whiskeyandice Mon 30-Dec-19 11:47:25

Had* got her.

RebelWithVerySharpClaws Mon 30-Dec-19 11:49:58

A friend got me a 'food hamper' - bits of grub she has bought and stuck in an old shoe box - we are neither hard up nor hungry - bizarre!

Moongirl10 Mon 30-Dec-19 11:52:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OneTooManyBathtimes Mon 30-Dec-19 11:54:17

I got face lotion and bath salts from SiL. I've said many times I never use the stuff as I have a phobia of having a bath (showers are fine) and my skin reacts to many products, especially if there's coconut in them.

I've still got stuff from last year that's not been used. DH tends to use it but even he hasn't bothered. It feels very impersonal. I'd have been quite happy with chocolates

ReanimatedSGB Mon 30-Dec-19 11:54:43

Did you spit in her soup?

Buscake Mon 30-Dec-19 11:54:52

We got my brother in law and his girlfriend a wok and steamer, plus some Leon recipe books. They got us a paperback book to share between us...

WaitrosesCheapestVodka Mon 30-Dec-19 11:57:21

When I was 21 I got a half full bottle of femfresh talc and a meatball sauce mix from my grandmother. She was 72, no dementia, but fond of a drink.

Iamlucylocket Mon 30-Dec-19 11:57:29

Name changed for this. My friend and her partner turned up for Christmas lunch late and half pissed. Once they’d eaten they sat on the sofa and drank until almost midnight when they went home. They didn’t offer to wash up, put away, or contribute anything to the actual day.

WaitrosesCheapestVodka Mon 30-Dec-19 11:58:00

Oh, and I'm vegetarian!fgrin

Teddy1970 Mon 30-Dec-19 11:58:53

My MIL regifts practically everything, so much so that she loses track of who's given what, she even gave me a birthday present that I gave HER the previous Christmas! she was mortified when she realised.

MarianaMoatedGrange Mon 30-Dec-19 12:00:45

@Iamlucylocket your friend and partner were rude, yes - but sounds like they had a great day! tcrgrin

LadyTiredWinterBottom2 Mon 30-Dec-19 12:03:52

If someone kept re gifting l would say 'l've bought what l like and l look forward to getting it back for my birthday!' fwink

Not too much cfery going on. The only thing was we bought an individual present for one branch of the fam and we got a joint present of a fiver back. I would just tell them not to bother, it's expense we could do without.

Teddy1970 Mon 30-Dec-19 12:06:47

Ha yes, I might say that LadyTiredWinterBottom!

bluebella4 Mon 30-Dec-19 12:08:17

@rebelwithsharpclaws lol I love a food hamper. My dad got us one for Christmas, we aren't hard up either but it came in handy. I forgot to by beans and there in the hamper was beans 😀

Iamlucylocket Mon 30-Dec-19 12:08:23

@MarianaMoatedGrange never again! It was unbearable. She is (usually) lovely but he is very lacking in any form of social skills and unfortunately she is head over heels in love with him and thinks he can do no wrong. Was such a shame as I feel the day was wasted with people that didn’t seem fussed about actually having a nice day.

Nofunkingworriesmate Mon 30-Dec-19 12:12:26

We’ve stopped doing adult presents, takes away all the waste , stress and expense of Xmas away

cstaff Mon 30-Dec-19 12:15:03

@LadyTiredWinterBottom2
If you did buy them something that you like next time hoping to get it back, the odds are that that would be the one present that they loved and would keep and use grin

CatToy Mon 30-Dec-19 12:29:01

My MIL (who there was history with so unsurprising really) gave me a free sample of a perfume one Christmas, and a packet of coffee filters another year. We had given her and FIL a voucher for a mini break thing, and tickets for a show they said they wanted.

I responded being ridiculously happy with my gifts. Thanked them, talked about how useful they would be. Purse size perfume?! So easy! Who doesn't love filter coffee? Now we have no excuse not to buy that perculator we had been talking about!!! Then, every time I used those items I made a FB status and tagged her, to show how thrilled I was and how useful and amazing they were.

Nothing pisses off someone that dislikes you more than seeing you smile ☺

TaliZorahVasNormandy Mon 30-Dec-19 12:29:50

Message deleted by MNHQ for quoting a deleted post.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »