Talk

Advanced search

Have I started a parking war?

(32 Posts)
temmy99 Sun 15-Dec-19 23:28:15

AIBU - To feel I have started a Parking war!

We have a parking bay for 2 cars (lined by the council as one long parking space but can fit 1 small and 1 large car) in between our house and neighbour. We both have driveways as well as the parking bay in front. The problem is my NDN has 3 big cars and always park 1 of their cars in the middle of the parking bay when they take the other cars out. When they come back in the evening, they will move the car further up in front of our house and park another car behind so basically hogging both spaces for their car while leaving the front of their driveway free to drive in and out. Us on the other hand have 2 cars in our household so while 1 car is in the driveway, we park the other car across the driveway but this is not always possible depending on how they park, we can't fit the car without blocking NDN on other side. I have asked them politely to give us a bit of space to park car in front to no avail. Last week, I dropped a note asking them again if they can allow us to share the parking bay by parking a car each but they still parked in the middle. A few days ago, ( I admit I was angry), I parked my dd's car at their end of the parking bay and left it for 3 days while we parked the other 2 cars at ease. But just yesterday, as ds went to move dd's car, they came out of their house and started shouting at him. I have now moved the car and they have parked in the middle of the bay again. AIBU to feel so upset about this. I hate confrontations.

LionelRitchieStoleMyNotebook Sun 15-Dec-19 23:31:05

Unless you have two very small cars I don't see how they'd both fit within the box with no overhang. Is the bay for anyone's use or does it belong to a property?

temmy99 Sun 15-Dec-19 23:52:58

It is a public parking bay and both cars overhang on each side but as it is in front of our driveways, it has never been a problem, with our previous neighbours at least.

DingDongDenny Sun 15-Dec-19 23:56:29

What were they shouting at you? Surely you are doing the same thing they do

YouRemindMeOfTheBabelfish Sun 15-Dec-19 23:58:28

I can see what you mean. Your neighbour is being unreasonable.

HamsterHolder Sun 15-Dec-19 23:59:41

Sounds like a parking problem certainly! If I wasn't to precious about my car I'd be tempted to park on their drive, no law against that either. Also if they do damage your car its just escalating to the level where theirs gets damaged too.

Is it possible to have a bit more of discussion with them and see if it could be de escalated before it gets out of hand or resentment grows to the point its difficult to wind back?

BlackCatSleeping Mon 16-Dec-19 00:00:13

I don’t know. It’s a parking bay. They are parking in the parking bay. I don’t think they are doing anything wrong. 🤷‍♀️

temmy99 Mon 16-Dec-19 00:08:00

@DingDongDenny they didn't shout at me, they shouted at my son when he went to move the car but as you mentioned, I just parked in front of their house, within the bay like they have been doing.

temmy99 Mon 16-Dec-19 00:11:36

@hamsterHolder after my son being shouted at, I'm not sure how to approach them as it is clear that they want to continue parking both of their cars in front

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 16-Dec-19 00:14:42

I'd say there's nothing you can do except park there when it's available and not when it's not. You can't reason with people like this, they're selfish and that's they way they will stay.

@BlackCatSleeping that's a sad way to look at the world. They're using their car to 'bagsie' both spaces even when they don't need both in order to prevent OP from using it at any time - they could easily park at their end so she can have hers when they only have one car home.

coldlighthappier Mon 16-Dec-19 00:16:09

They’re allowed to park exactly where they’re parking so I think you’ve been unreasonable with that. They never should’ve shouted at your son though so for that they’re being unreasonable

temmy99 Mon 16-Dec-19 00:18:21

@blackcatsleeping I am not saying they are doing anything wrong just that as we both have more than 1 car we should be able to share the bay. When there are no cars (odd occasions) in the bay, i always park my car with the back tyres on the line leaving enough space for them to park in front but when it's the other way round they will either park in the middle or just on the line in front of our house so we won't be able to park behind them.

Roundtoedshoes Mon 16-Dec-19 00:18:24

They are inconsiderate arseholes who will never change I’m afraid. Whilst it’s true they are free to park like that, decent neighbours (and human beings in general), wouldn’t.

BlackCatSleeping Mon 16-Dec-19 00:23:55

In a fair world, then, yes, you should both share the space equally. However, it’s not a fair world. It’s a first come, first served world, so I don’t see what you can do about it really. If the space is free, park in it. They have no right to shout at you for it. It’s a public space. No one has ownership over it.

GemmaGemmaGemma Mon 16-Dec-19 00:29:08

No one has been UR here apart from them shouting at your DS, parking-wise you're both entitled to do exactly as you have/are. Yes it would be nice if they shared the space fairly but you can't make them so the best advice I can give you is stop letting it wind you up. Park there when it's free, don't when it's not and refuse to get annoyed about when or where they're parking. Letting it make you angry only hurts you and gets you nowhere because you still can't make them do anything flowers

TrixieFranklin Mon 16-Dec-19 00:32:31

They're wankers

katewhinesalot Mon 16-Dec-19 00:36:56

Hog the space whenever you can.

Tellem87 Mon 16-Dec-19 00:43:06

What did they say to your son? Why did they think they have the right to take the whole space?

Sounds very odd. As long as you keep parking and leaving them the other half I don't think they can complain. I don't think you'll change their behaviour if you've already asked and they haven't though!

Bowerbird5 Mon 16-Dec-19 00:45:38

You could always try the council.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 16-Dec-19 00:57:19

They are selfish fuckers who have clearly decided that you have no rights to the parking bay and give absolutely no fucks about your or yours.

There is, unfortunately, very little you can do about it - but I'd park like they do every given opportunity and refuse to move the car EVER until you actually want to.

PaulHollywoodsleftbollockhair Mon 16-Dec-19 01:02:46

Hire a skip for when you know they will be out and leave it there for ages... with only enough room for a little car if possible grin

ThumbWitchesAbroad Mon 16-Dec-19 01:03:15

Oh I like that idea, what a great move! grin

DorothyParkersCat Mon 16-Dec-19 01:06:12

i always park my car with the back tyres on the line

Not the main issue here but I think you have a misunderstanding of parking law here. I have friends who have got tickets for car overhang.
Where there are parking markings the whole car has to be within the lawful parking zone. So if there is a single line hours controlled abutting a double yellow line, if you park with car overhang (wheels on the join) you are unlawfully parked because part of your car is within the double yellow line zone.

This may matter here because you may as well just park your one care in the middle as the bay cannot lawfully take two cars if the surrounding zones are parking controlled.

Chocmallows Mon 16-Dec-19 01:07:29

Park on the road as close to their car as you can so they cannot move forward to let the other car in.

BlackCatSleeping Mon 16-Dec-19 01:12:42

Yes, just park in the middle of the bay. The bay is only designed for one car. No one should be parking overhanging the bay.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »