Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to pull a sicky tomorrow?

(63 Posts)
knocknockgryffindor Sun 15-Dec-19 20:53:45

I'm a teacher in a secondary school, it's the last week of term tomorrow so very close to the holidays.

I'm 25 weeks pregnant, have terrible sciatica bought on by the pregnancy and not helped by charging about after our two year old all day, I'm getting really bad headaches and have one since waking up today. I'm exhausted, achey, and tonight I've had an upset tummy too. I don't think it's anything I've eaten, just feeling run down and exhausted. I've got so much marking to get done for Thursday, im stressing about that, too.

Would it be awful to phone in sick tomorrow, drop DS at childcare, and have a day in bed watching tele and catching up with marking?

I don't know what id say to work, I don't really have a single ailment, just bloody knackered.

Todaythiscouldbe Sun 15-Dec-19 20:57:06

If you're ill YANBU, however, if not YABU. DS is at secondary school and this week is full of end of term tests and revision sessions.

Ylvamoon Sun 15-Dec-19 20:57:12

You sound exhausted ... go for it!

AnxiousandExcited Sun 15-Dec-19 21:54:09

you are runn down. you need a da off. so do i judging from my spelling. (28 weeks - starting maternity leave next week!)

knocknockgryffindor Sun 15-Dec-19 22:01:07

@AnxiousandExcited oh how exciting- boy or girl?

yellowellies Sun 15-Dec-19 22:04:07

Surely you are allowed pregnancy related time off- that sounds like what you need

knocknockgryffindor Sun 15-Dec-19 22:08:31

@yellowellies I don't think so, and like I said, we break up in a week too.

I'd have to phone the head teacher in the morning and state why I'm Ill

AnxiousandExcited Sun 15-Dec-19 22:10:28

@knocknockgryffindor Third boy. What about you? Been a dreadful pregnancy though, worse than other two, and had shingles for past week or two. I work from home so didn't really take off though. Totally identify with being stressd about work!

TheReluctantCountess Sun 15-Dec-19 22:11:04

If you ring in sick, don’t say it’s pregnancy related.

PinkiOcelot Sun 15-Dec-19 22:14:57

YABU. You’ve got a week left then you’re off for 2. You’re only 25 weeks. How much more sick are you going to “need” to take before ML?!

Emeraldshamrock Sun 15-Dec-19 22:14:59

No not at all. You're genuinely unwell, pulling a sicky is faking to me.
I thought by the title you worked in retail pulling a sicky to avoid the rush.
It is the best time of year to have a sick day as a Teacher.
Enjoy your rest. smile

AnxiousandExcited Sun 15-Dec-19 22:15:20

Just say you have sciatica, headache and upset tummy? I would think that's enough to call in sick for!

Legomanships Sun 15-Dec-19 22:16:09

Can you Norovirus it? We’ve had schools closed all over the place because of an epidemic here.

gypsywater Sun 15-Dec-19 22:16:34

You are clearly ill, so of course you should?

WaggleWiggle Sun 15-Dec-19 22:16:52

Being run down and stressed counts as illness. I think too many people think that they need to have an audible cough etc for people to accept that they are ill. I was a deputy head and a union rep and the latter showed me they a lot of staff illness due to flu / stomach upsets was actually due to them being horrendously stressed but not daring to say it was mental and not physical. Look after yourself and your baby. It’s one day.

Emeraldshamrock Sun 15-Dec-19 22:16:53

Say something contagious. Vomiting bug, strep throat, lots of viruses spreading ATM.

Andysbestadventure Sun 15-Dec-19 22:17:30

Oh shut up @PinkiOcelot and crawl back in your hole.

Emeraldshamrock Sun 15-Dec-19 22:18:58

If you're telling a lie be sure the head isn't a Mnetters. grin

DerbyshireGirly Sun 15-Dec-19 22:19:20

Take the day off.

tinkerbellla Sun 15-Dec-19 22:19:30

You need to rest so do it! Pulling a sickie is faking it but you are genuinely ill. Hope you feel better soon.

Greggers2017 Sun 15-Dec-19 22:20:19

If you were my child's teacher I'd want you to call in sick rather than going in and passing your upset tummy to my kids ready for Christmas.

Crunchymum Sun 15-Dec-19 22:22:22

"Can you Norovirus it?"

@Legomanships are you fucking serious?

QuarterPastMidnight Sun 15-Dec-19 22:23:43

@TheReluctantCountess just out of interest, why not say it's pregnancy related? (I'm also pregnant)

INeedNewShoes Sun 15-Dec-19 22:29:25

Can you Norovirus it?

If she does that:

a) she would also have to have Tuesday off - 48 hour rule
b) when she actually gets noro later in the week or early next term, it'll be highly suspect

OP doesn't need to lie really. Bad sciatica is debilitating.

Having said that, if you're well enough to cope with going in I really think you should. God knows how many more sick days you might actually need in the coming weeks.

Smilingwhenrunning Sun 15-Dec-19 22:29:56

I'm actually more concerned that your symptoms are sounds like you need to see your MW. They are signs of Pre-eclampsia. Call in and take the day and see your MW.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »