Talk

Advanced search

Things you wish people would stop buying you

(602 Posts)
tequilasunrises Sun 15-Dec-19 18:34:44

Had a bit of a pre Christmas house declutter earlier and found that DH has THIRTEEN unused Lynx shower gels in the bathroom cupboard - all from Christmas last year.

Having chucked out a load of moisturer/bath sets il never use I had to sigh hand thinking about the next influx I’m going to get from his relatives this year.

I try not to be ungrateful but we’ve got such a tiny house and hoardes of toiletries really isn’t conducive to minimalist living!

What do you always get for Christmas/Birthdays that you wish you didn’t?

RedPanda2 Sun 15-Dec-19 18:36:26

Things with hedgehogs on and body stuff containing SLS- it's no secret my skin doesn't tolerate it !!!!

36degrees Sun 15-Dec-19 18:38:05

MIL used to bring Windolene on every visit. The last time was 4 years ago and we still have 8 bottles in the shed and 3 on the go in the house.

DoloresTheDonkey Sun 15-Dec-19 18:38:12

Bulbs in ceramic pots with a bag of compost I'm looking at you mil

MrsApplepants Sun 15-Dec-19 18:38:28

Body lotion. I have greasy skin and can’t use it. I hate it. Chocolates, I don’t like chocolate. But wine, bubble bath and socks always welcome!

RozHuntleysStump Sun 15-Dec-19 18:39:17

Sweet wine. Anyone who actually knows me know I like the drier the better. Body stuff as again, anyone who knows me knows I have sensitive skin. Sweets! Again. I’m bloody diabetic. I just hate generic gifts. I also have 3 teenage boys and I, not looking forward to dealing with their stuff. So much lynx and selection boxes. Just don’t bloody bother!

Headinthedrawer Sun 15-Dec-19 18:39:19

Scented candles.
Sounds ungrateful but it's all I seem to get bought.

Oysterbabe Sun 15-Dec-19 18:39:26

Who the fuck buys Lynx?!

Mascarponeandwine Sun 15-Dec-19 18:39:30

@36degrees grin

RoLaren Sun 15-Dec-19 18:40:44

Can unused, unopened toiletry sets be donated to charity shops?

Ragwort Sun 15-Dec-19 18:40:51

Just a reminder that Food Banks will take toiletries, Lynx etc - you can put them in the collection points at supermarkets.

BertieBotts Sun 15-Dec-19 18:41:02

Any kind of lotion or "pampering" stuff. I just don't use it, I have tubs which are years and years old and the new ones don't get opened. I don't really understand what it's for blush

Mascarponeandwine Sun 15-Dec-19 18:41:18

I’ve bought a can of lynx for DS1 but it’s deep body spray so he’ll use it. It’s the sets that also include body lotion that become clutter - that stuff never gets used as ain’t nobody got time for extensive moisturising

HopelessLayout Sun 15-Dec-19 18:41:38

@RoLaren They can be donated to hygiene banks (similar to food banks).

karala Sun 15-Dec-19 18:41:57

I know it's not the point but please don't just throw away unopened toiletries because charity shops can sell them

Mascarponeandwine Sun 15-Dec-19 18:42:00

Deo body spray not deep grin

ManiacalLapwing Sun 15-Dec-19 18:42:02

Donate the unopened toiletries to the Foodbank if you don't want them.
Does he not like them and buys a different one instead? Though thirteen is excessive, I can't imagine anyone getting through more than one a month, a 250ml bottle lasts me a few months.

Palavah Sun 15-Dec-19 18:42:13

I hope you don't throw them out - Beauty Banks and food banks will be glad of them.

HopelessLayout Sun 15-Dec-19 18:42:21

Lynx smells disgusting and should be banned!

tequilasunrises Sun 15-Dec-19 18:42:49

@Oysterbabe I know my thoughts exactly!! I scowl at Lynx gift sets I pass when I’m out shopping.

I also agree about the candles @Headinthedrawer. My in laws always buy me alcohol scented ones. Yes I do enjoy a glass of Prosecco but I really don’t want my lounge to smell like it

Diorissimo1985 Sun 15-Dec-19 18:43:17

Reed diffusers. So many reed diffusers.

11hairylegs Sun 15-Dec-19 18:43:52

Paraffin candles. I love candles but I’m really fussy with what I burn in my house (& breathe in!)

HarrietSchulenberg Sun 15-Dec-19 18:43:53

I dread anything that comes as a generic gift set as it means there's invariable 1 item that I won't use. My bathroom drawer was full of them until I donated them all, unopened and unused, to a women's refuge.

I also dread candles. I have a house full of them and can't light them due to small space and energetic kids and dog. If ever there's a powercut, though, I could light 'em up and be seen from outer space.

tequilasunrises Sun 15-Dec-19 18:44:03

Good advice re the charity shops and food banks. I will definitely make up a box of toiletries for them in the new year if my local one need any.

gamerwidow Sun 15-Dec-19 18:44:45

God so many candles which I will never use because my OCD and fear of burning the house down won’t let me,

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »