Talk

Advanced search

Flabbergasted by Ocado’s generosity

(44 Posts)
lovemenorca Sun 15-Dec-19 08:18:13

1p off my next shop (I must remember to insert the voucher code) AND a 1p charity donation on my behalf.

Ocado - thank you!

WaterSheep Sun 15-Dec-19 08:20:51

That puts my £4.50 voucher from Tescos to shame. How generous of them. shock

wondering7777 Sun 15-Dec-19 08:23:25

Hahaha! grin

MLMsuperfan Sun 15-Dec-19 08:24:05

I hate those vouchers they spew at you in Sainsbury's for a small discount off some very specific product you've never heard of and have no interest in.

I have never used those vouchers but still get them thrust at me at the end of every shop. Such a waste of paper.

PhilCornwall1 Sun 15-Dec-19 08:24:42

I guess if you think how many may have got a voucher, the penny off your next shop is negligible, but an awful lot of pennies going to a charity can make a difference.

babycatcher411 Sun 15-Dec-19 08:24:51

Just be careful not to get suckered into spending extra just because you’ve got a discount. It’s easy to get carried away and spend more than you need to, they’re trying to entice you in 🤨😂

DerbyshireGirly Sun 15-Dec-19 08:25:49

@babycatcher411 is right, it's only a bargain if you were going to spend it anyway wink

EssentialHummus Sun 15-Dec-19 08:26:24

Well, yes... but as I’m sure you know it’s an automated thing based on what you could’ve saved on your shop.

Orangecake123 Sun 15-Dec-19 08:27:10

You're so lucky OP!

Aragog Sun 15-Dec-19 08:28:09

Is it just the price difference voucher though? So the automatically done one based on price matching against Tesco (think it's still Tesco.) they're the only small vouchers from Ocado I've ever had.

JustACog Sun 15-Dec-19 08:29:33

Remember the price match vouchers the tills used to spew out at you.

Whatever happened to them? Assume they were too good a deal for shoppers

Lockheart Sun 15-Dec-19 08:31:46

YABU

Iwantacookie Sun 15-Dec-19 08:33:48

I keep getting tesco money off vouchers for dog food. I dont own a dog confused

CupOfMea Sun 15-Dec-19 08:50:54

Insider ex-employee view:

Waitrose like ways to incentivise people, but only moderately.

There’s something called “Pay for Performance” which (allegedly) means staff hourly rate of pay is linked to performance.

(management speak for persuading all staff to commit to training in their spare time in the move towards zero hour contracts).

The thing is, the margins between SUPER DUPER TEAM PLAYER and GLUM STAND AT TILL AND GRUNT pay were so small they didn’t actually make any difference in motivating people.

Junior manager jobs and supervisor jobs in retail are still notoriously hard to fill as most normal people see it’s only a few pence an hour more for lots of extra effort.

So it’s all psychological money power play at Waitrose, but at a fairly moderate level.

One of the managers was a cut-price Northern playboy and could be regularly seen with “damaged discounted wine at £3” to take to his latest conquest.

What with the bad Brexit economy and all that, I suspect these 1p vouchers are now the next generation in customer goodwill relations confused

tribpot Sun 15-Dec-19 08:53:38

I got one as well - the email says we match and donate all Low Price Promise vouchers worth up to 10p. Together this adds up to a really useful donation.

Oysterbabe Sun 15-Dec-19 08:55:37

I'm always quite impressed with the money off vouchers tesco send me, it's usually about £15.

MrsSpenserGregson Sun 15-Dec-19 09:04:04

Wow. Merry fucking Christmas to you from Ocado fgrin fgrin

Spend your 1p wisely OP grin

ADogInTheManger Sun 15-Dec-19 09:09:40

I hate those vouchers they spew at you in Sainsbury's for a small discount off some very specific product you've never heard of and have no interest in.

When I get then it's always something I've bought in the past and usually an item that I buy regularly.

Tellmetruth4 Sun 15-Dec-19 09:17:47

The Ocado vouchers piss me off and make me feel like I’m being mugged off. They always give you vouchers for something you never buy or would be remotely interested in. They can see from my shopping history that I have never bought marmalade so why give me a voucher for 50p off a jar?

They’re blatantly trying to get you to buy stuff they can’t get rid of. You also don’t get the money off vouchers connected to your shopping so you have to search for them in another section and remember to add them to your shop before they expire.

WaterSheep Sun 15-Dec-19 09:17:49

the email says we match and donate all Low Price Promise vouchers worth up to 10p.

Does anyone know if they only match when the voucher is redeemed? Or is it an automatic donation when the voucher is issued.

GnomeDePlume Sun 15-Dec-19 09:22:22

@Iwantacookie but just think of the money you would save if you did have a dog! Except that then they would offer you a discount on cat food, so you would buy a cat to 'chase the discount' then it would be a hamster, fish, gekkos. You would end up with a menagerie as you chased the elusive discount nirvana!

Perhaps there is something in your shopping which suggests you have a dog but are buying food elsewhere. A particular brand of washing detergent which in their algorithm comes up as a 'customers who bought X also bought dog food'.

JeansNTees Sun 15-Dec-19 09:28:19

Maybe save up all your vouchers for your big Christmas shop. In 2041.

TheProdigalKittensReturn Sun 15-Dec-19 09:29:49

Don't lose that code, lovemenorca, whatever you do! So valuable! I love how it appears to be individualised, because you can't go just giving everyone one pence off their order.

PeanuttyButter Sun 15-Dec-19 09:34:11

We had a substitution with out delivery last night. The substitution was not appropriate so I didn't want it and as a result I had no use for other items id selected (to make a meal). The driver told me that things that get taken back are donated to foodbanks. If they are fresh and will spoil before the foodbank collect they go in the bin. This is always the case for frozen items. I was shocked!!

Soontobe60 Sun 15-Dec-19 09:36:59

@CupOfMea
One of the managers was a cut-price Northern playboy and could be regularly seen with “damaged discounted wine at £3” to take to his latest conquest.

Did you need to put the Northern reference here? Seems slightly offensive and lazy stereotyping to me 🤷🏼‍♀️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »