Talk

Advanced search

Kids not wrapped up in this cold weather!

(207 Posts)
bluesteakandcheese Sat 14-Dec-19 15:06:10

I know it is nothing to do with me how others see fit to dress their children. But it really gets to me when I'm walking round town and see young kids and babies with no gloves or hat on.
Why do parents not think it is appropriate to wrap their children up against the cold? I just don't understand it!

LolaSmiles Mon 16-Dec-19 10:15:26

ChanklyBore
I'm the same. I see the frost on the ground some mornings so put a scarf on with my winter coat. By 10ish I'm really got and the scarf feels stuffy and sometimes I'm wishing I put a lighter coat on / fewer layers.
It's hardly surprising kids feel the same, especially if they're running around.

It's a bit chilly but certainly not freezing. Today I've come out wearing strap top, thick winter jumper, gillet, scarf and aren't too cold. If I look around, most people have a coat on, half the women have a scarf on but not men and almost nobody is in full wrapped up winter gear.

myself2020 Mon 16-Dec-19 10:51:17

The majority of the uk isn’t cold for anybody used to proper winters smile cold starts at -10 for me, below -20 its getting uncomfortable.
i only use my winter coats when i visit my parents

Ginfordinner Mon 16-Dec-19 11:02:02

The majority of the uk isn’t cold for anybody used to proper winters cold starts at -10 for me, below -20 its getting uncomfortable.

That isn't particularly helpful for people who feel the cold at temperatures less than 10 degrees, which would be coat weather for me.

I only use my winter coats when i visit my parents

Bully for you hmm
I think you are overlooking the fact that in many places that have much colder weather than we do tend to enjoy a dry cold whereas it is usually damp here. It was 2 degrees and sleeting here on Saturday and it felt very unpleasant indeed. When we went to Finland it was -10 and sunny, but felt very pleasant.

longestlurkerever Mon 16-Dec-19 12:42:45

I don't think the person saying that she doesn't find it cold in the UK was saying anyone else was bu for wanting to wear a coat. Just that it was not objectively cold enough to start tutting about how other people dress their kids for the weather. In any event, the fact that it can get cold in the UK and may do in Jan/Feb is not the same thing as saying everyone should be wearing scarves and gloves now. It has been a very mild winter temperature wise so far in the South East

Newbie1981 Mon 16-Dec-19 12:44:21

Hahahaha try getting my kid to keep them on. Judgemental or what!!!

LolaSmiles Mon 16-Dec-19 13:01:32

I don't think the person saying that she doesn't find it cold in the UK was saying anyone else was bu for wanting to wear a coat. Just that it was not objectively cold enough to start tutting about how other people dress their kids for the weather. In any event, the fact that it can get cold in the UK and may do in Jan/Feb is not the same thing as saying everyone should be wearing scarves and gloves now
That's how I understood it.
Right now it's chilly and probably coat weather of different thicknesses depending on how you feel the cold.

It's not (as some have suggested) bloody freezing and at the point where it's reasonable to tut when some kids aren't wrapped up for an expedition to the north pole.

myself2020 Mon 16-Dec-19 13:29:09

@longestlurkerever thank you!
yes, you might feel
cold, so wrap up warm if you do! But it is not dangerously cold outside and full wintergear is not necessary to survive (although it might be comfortable for some - or boiling hot for others)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »