Talk

Advanced search

AIBU not sending dd to school..

(158 Posts)
ArthurMorgan Thu 12-Dec-19 09:53:30

My dd is 5, on Monday night and all day tuesday she had diarrhoea all day, on Tuesday evening she was also sick, just the once though. Yesterday she was OK but a bit under the weather, no sickness or diarrhoea though.

Today I made the decision not to send her school, apart from the fact they have a 48 hour policy, she was awake a few times in the night with a tummy ache.

My partner is cross with me for not sending her to school. I've explained the policy and the tummy aches etc but he still thinks she should have gone in. I feel like I've done something wrong now when I'm only trying to do the right thing.

Also a lot of schools are shutting for deep cleans and due to staff and teachers having norovirus around here and I wouldn't want to spread anything else unnecessarily.

Am I really being unreasonable for not sending her in today? sad

Gatehouse77 Thu 12-Dec-19 09:56:50

I strongly believe that when you've been poorly you need a day at home feeling well to actually rest and be ready so I agree with you.

laudete Thu 12-Dec-19 09:57:53

Most schools have a 24 or 48 hours policy for D&V. It is the complete time period from the last incident of D&V. So, 48 hours from the vomit incident on Tuesday evening will take you up to Thursday evening ie tonight. YANBU. Hope your daughter feels much better when she returns to school tomorrow. x

Sannapaws Thu 12-Dec-19 09:58:29

She's only little, let her rest at home and feel well for Christmas. What's she missing in school at 5?? There are a lot of countries who don't even put their 5 year olds in school!

Selfsettling3 Thu 12-Dec-19 09:58:48

If should knows she has been off with D and V and not been well for 48 hours then she will be sent home.

GiveHerHellFromUs Thu 12-Dec-19 09:59:26

You were right not to send her.
I hope DP catches it so you can tell him he's lazy for not going to work.

ArthurMorgan Thu 12-Dec-19 10:00:10

Thank you, I really started to doubt myself about it. He still doesn't agree with me.

halcyondays Thu 12-Dec-19 10:01:38

Yanbu, of course you should stick to the 48 hour rule , it’s really selfish not to, and if she was still having tummy aches last night she’s still not completely well and resting at home for the day will do her good.

Confrontayshunme Thu 12-Dec-19 10:02:26

I work in a school office, and the number of kids who are in school because "they've only been sick because of coughing" then have to go home after spraying the toilets or classrooms with poo and vomit is HIGH. Keep her home and save yourself a trip. We actually ran out of spare clothes for sick kids/accidents this week (and year 3-6 so not small ones). The parents are worried they'll miss work or kids will miss making snowflakes or something, and everyone else is forced to suffer with it.

phoenixrosehere Thu 12-Dec-19 10:03:22

Yanbu.

It isn’t just about your child but the rest of the class as well if she is still unwell. What is your partner’s reasoning and ask him why he is willing to take a chance of her passing it on to other children and also getting it again.

UndertheCedartree Thu 12-Dec-19 10:03:26

You are correct not to send her. Hope she feels completely well soon - we've had it too.

Ravenrob Thu 12-Dec-19 10:05:05

YANBU. The 48 hour rule is important and she needs some time to recover. Bet she's exhausted.

BillywigSting Thu 12-Dec-19 10:06:17

Yanbu and your partner is being a tit.

1Micem0use Thu 12-Dec-19 10:06:20

Former teacher here. Thank you! It's good parenting and considerate of others not to send a poorly and contagious child into school

Aroundtheworldin80moves Thu 12-Dec-19 10:06:32

Sick kids belong at home to recover.

bobstersmum Thu 12-Dec-19 10:07:05

My 5 year old ds is strong as a horse but has this the weekend before last. It absolutely zapped him, he didn't move off the sofa for two days following and I absolutely kept him off!

00100001 Thu 12-Dec-19 10:09:29

Why does he think she is well enough to go to school when she had tummy ache through the night? confused

ArthurMorgan Thu 12-Dec-19 10:09:49

Thanks everyone, and thanks to all of you that's voted as well. It means a lot that you all agree that I have actually done the right thing..

RightOnTheEdge Thu 12-Dec-19 10:10:23

YANBU! Why does he think she should be in school?
What reason would he have for wanting his poorly little dd to be sent to school?
I hope he is not normally so unkind.

Hopefully you keeping her off will protect other children from getting her bug.

00100001 Thu 12-Dec-19 10:14:45

...who voted "YABU"??? hmmconfused

TotalRecall Thu 12-Dec-19 10:15:08

Why does he think she should be in school?! She’s 5, not sitting important exams. Would she miss some finger painting? confused

The 48 hour policy is there for a reason.

ArthurMorgan Thu 12-Dec-19 10:15:38

I don't know what the reason is. I've sent him a link to this post but I don't know if he'll read it

Butterfly02 Thu 12-Dec-19 10:17:24

You did the right thing not only for your dc but the rest of the children and staff. Some of those in school will have a lower immune system meaning d&v could cause a hospital admission or worse.
I'd be tempted to keep dc off till Monday this close to Christmas they're probably not doing as much academically and therefore even less to miss. By next week dc will have fully rested and be able to enjoy the last week at school and all the festivities.

Chottie Thu 12-Dec-19 10:30:13

OP - thank you for being a caring and responsible parent. You are doing the right thing.

OlaEliza Thu 12-Dec-19 10:35:08

Is he her dad?

Is he out at work? If so, wtf has it got to do with him?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »