Talk

Advanced search

Settle a disagreement: AIBU to leave this advent candle burning throughout December including when everyone is out or in bed?

(286 Posts)
EasilyDistracted77 Mon 09-Dec-19 06:45:06

Picture for context, the candle is inside the glass/metal case.

One of us is saying it's perfectly safe and that's what an advent candle is for. The other is saying a flame should never be left unattended, no matter how safe it seems.

NoGuarantee Mon 09-Dec-19 06:46:38

Don't leave a flame unattended. Yabu.

katienana Mon 09-Dec-19 06:46:59

Not worth the risk. It only has to get knocked over to start a fire.

RhinestoneCowgirl Mon 09-Dec-19 06:47:10

Don't be daft, do you want to set fire to your house!

dementedpixie Mon 09-Dec-19 06:47:19

If you leave it burning it will be finished before december is over. It's not meant to be lit all the time

Soubriquet Mon 09-Dec-19 06:47:22

I’ve had a glass case explode with a lit candle in it

Don’t ever leave it alone

MummaMeerkat Mon 09-Dec-19 06:47:34

Do not leave it burning unattended

brightonroc Mon 09-Dec-19 06:47:41

Firefighter friend has zero candles, they terrify him...

clarec86 Mon 09-Dec-19 06:48:35

You should never leave a candle burning in an unattended room even if it is in a box. Why would you want to put your home and lives under unnecessary risk? Yabu

topcat2014 Mon 09-Dec-19 06:49:03

We only light birthday cake candles in this house

TheQueef Mon 09-Dec-19 06:49:30

No lit flames unattended.
JC wouldn't want the house burnt down as an offering, blow it out.

1idea Mon 09-Dec-19 06:50:25

Is your candle on fake snow flammable fabric?

PianoTuner567 Mon 09-Dec-19 06:50:45

No brainer

FenellaMaxwell Mon 09-Dec-19 06:51:26

You mean that box that’s on top of the highly flammable fabric with the highly flammable fabric dangling just above it, with the highly flammable tree less than a foot away....? What could possibly go wrong.....

Herja Mon 09-Dec-19 06:52:07

Don't those ones burn about an hour per number? Why would you need to have it lit all the time? Just have it lit over dinner surely?

But no, don't leave lit candles unattended.

TotalRecall Mon 09-Dec-19 06:52:26

Never leave a flame unattended while you sleep. That’s just idiotic.

tilder Mon 09-Dec-19 06:52:42

I saw 'JC' and thought Jeremy Corbynblush. But yes. Yabu.

FenellaMaxwell Mon 09-Dec-19 06:53:10

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fsaLCdC3iWw Perhaps this can help you decide?

Ylvamoon Mon 09-Dec-19 06:53:26

... and you really need to ask???

WoollyFoolly Mon 09-Dec-19 06:53:30

Don't leave unattended! Advent candles aren't usually supposed to burn 24 hours a day either, they'd have to be massive to last that long. I like an advent candle but stopped getting them when we had children (and cats!), the ones I had would burn for about an hour a day to get down to the next notch.

NurseButtercup Mon 09-Dec-19 06:54:43

You mean that box that’s on top of the highly flammable fabric with the highly flammable fabric dangling just above it, with the highly flammable tree less than a foot away....? What could possibly go wrong.....

I agree

TheNoodlesIncident Mon 09-Dec-19 06:55:10

Is that a real fire there, without a fireguard? If it's a gas one I'm very impressed, it looks very realistic.

I would not personally leave a candle lit while I was out of the house or in bed. I wouldn't blow it out if I was just leaving the room to go to the loo or make tea, but my candles are always in glass pots and placed somewhere they won't get knocked or have any material flap at them. If I was nipping out to the shops (a minute's walk away) I would extinguish, definitely.

TheQueef Mon 09-Dec-19 06:55:20

Tilder even that JC wouldn't want a housefire grin

Coulddowithanap Mon 09-Dec-19 06:55:27

Advent candles aren't supposed to burn for the whole of December, aren't they an hour a day or something?

As it's already been mentioned, never leave a candle unattended. Also make sure it's not on a flamable surface or near anything flamable.

HeronLanyon Mon 09-Dec-19 06:57:03

Y(or s/he)ABVU.
Unnecessary risk of burning your house down. I’ve known lantern glass to crack and hot wax to escape confines. Let alone the more straightforward obvious risks.
If the potential damage were eg confined to a bit of a wax stain then fair enough bit here the risk is to and your/neighbours life /house !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »