Talk

Advanced search

Are other drivers trying to tell me something? Am I being really thick?!

(270 Posts)
MindYours Sun 08-Dec-19 20:15:20

When driving at night if nobody is in front of me or coming the other way I put the full beams on (country lanes) but if there are any cars behind me they nearly ALWAYS flash at me as if I've pissed them off or something. Obviously I turn off the beams straight away...

Full beams don't affect drivers behind do they? Am I missing something here?!

soapboxqueen Sun 08-Dec-19 20:16:37

Have you been putting your fog lights on or something?

HappyHarlot Sun 08-Dec-19 20:16:55

Have you checked your rear lights? Maybe you have an electrical problem?

Grekko Sun 08-Dec-19 20:17:04

Are you putting your fog lights on by mistake?

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Sun 08-Dec-19 20:17:20

Are you sure their headlight beams aren’t just wobbling with the car on country road surfaces? That can look like being flashed.

Todaythiscouldbe Sun 08-Dec-19 20:17:50

Check your rear fog light isn't being activated. That is really annoying.

MindYours Sun 08-Dec-19 20:18:16

No not fog lights, the symbol for full beams comes on. It happened with my last car too if I remember rightly.

Lulualla Sun 08-Dec-19 20:18:36

If ifs country roads which have small ups and downs then the headlights fork the car behind will rise up and down, making them brighter then shaded again. It will look like you're being flashed at.

AnneTwacky Sun 08-Dec-19 20:19:10

Could also be they're dipping their lights as they catch up to you, so they don't dazzle you.

Lulualla Sun 08-Dec-19 20:19:11

*from not fork

MindYours Sun 08-Dec-19 20:20:32

I know what you mean about dips in the road and that does happen but no, they are definitely beaming me. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I'll check the rears tomorrow

PumpkinPie2016 Sun 08-Dec-19 20:21:15

I agree that bumps in the roads can make it look as though a cars lights are flashing when they are not.

If you are certain that all of your lights are functioning as they should then I would assume the above.

Didntwanttochangemyname Sun 08-Dec-19 20:21:28

Agree with PP, it's probably just the bumps in the road making it look like you are being flashed. Sensible to use your full beams, if you are driving country lanes I imagine deer might be around so your full beams will help you see them. Just make sure you dip them quickly when someone is coming towards you, slow dippers are the worst!

Mumtotwo82 Sun 08-Dec-19 20:21:54

I was going to say same as pp said. I used to think, I was getting flashed at occasionally, until dh said it happened when we went over a bump blush that's why it was for me, I thought they were flashing

missmouse101 Sun 08-Dec-19 20:21:58

It'll be as they go over bumps, making it look as if they're flashing you.

Timeless19 Sun 08-Dec-19 20:22:28

It’s probably a bumpy road so they look like they are flashing you. If they are coming up behind you it would be rare to flash unless you are ridiculously slow or one of your lights isn’t working.

MindYours Sun 08-Dec-19 20:23:25

Again I am certain it is NOT dips in the road they are 100% beaming me.

chrisrobin Sun 08-Dec-19 20:27:03

Perhaps you have an electrical fault and something may be happening to your rear lights when you switch the full beams on. Can you ask someone to stand behind the car when parked up at home while you put your full beams on? They will be able to tell you if something is happening at the rear

RoomR0613 Sun 08-Dec-19 20:27:49

Are you driving really slowly?

Horcrux Sun 08-Dec-19 20:31:40

I was going to say what @RoomR0613 has said. How fast are you going?

rhubarbcrumbles Sun 08-Dec-19 20:35:28

f ifs country roads which have small ups and downs then the headlights from the car behind will rise up and down, making them brighter then shaded again. It will look like you're being flashed at

^ This. I live down country lanes like this and it happens all the time. Either I'm getting flashed at several times on every journey or it's the road being up as down as much as well....you choose.

Apolloanddaphne Sun 08-Dec-19 20:36:15

Have you checked your rear lights are working properly?

BustedDreams Sun 08-Dec-19 20:38:16

Are you going too slow for them 🤷‍♀️

Pieceofpurplesky Sun 08-Dec-19 20:41:25

I had a car that shorted something when I put my main beams off and the back lights went off.
It also used to stop if I put the blowers on grin. I loved that pile of crap though.

SuperficialSuzie Sun 08-Dec-19 20:42:47

A friend had an electrical fault with her lights that when she put her full beam on it turned her reverse lights on. Could be similar?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »