Talk

Advanced search

To think my boss should have consulted us before doing this??

(62 Posts)
LanaLily11 Sat 07-Dec-19 17:44:13

I work as a secretary in a GP practice. Let’s call our practice manager ‘Wendy’

We had our Christmas Do last night however there are so many of us that I didn’t get a chance to speak to everyone! Wendy is now on annual leave now until Christmas Eve.

My colleague text me earlier asking if I was aware that Wendy has been approached by a tv production company, and been asked if our practice would star in a ‘behind the scenes’ type programme.

My colleague tells me that Wendy has been in talks for weeks with the crew, and has agreed. They will start filming around September next year. Part of the idea is that the camera crew will have access to all the different areas, including consultations etc (obviously this will need to be agreed by each patient)

My colleague was told by Wendy herself last night, after a few too many. AIBU in thinking Wendy should absolutely have spoken to every single member of staff before agreeing?

Butchyrestingface Sat 07-Dec-19 17:46:14

God, I would hate that and tell boss lady I’m in witness protection don’t want to take part.

puds11 Sat 07-Dec-19 17:46:31

YANBU id be very annoyed about that! Not everyone wants to be on telly!

QuestionableMouse Sat 07-Dec-19 17:48:32

I expect the TV company will have to get each person to sign a release. You can still opt out.

Ellmau Sat 07-Dec-19 17:49:25

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to opt out of being filmed.

Disfordarkchocolate Sat 07-Dec-19 17:50:05

Request blurred face. I would never agree to this, I have a very unpleasant X.

Biancadelrioisback Sat 07-Dec-19 17:50:30

It's not until next September so staff may change between now and then.

All you have to do is say that you don't want to be on TV and you won't be.

TheBigFatMermaid Sat 07-Dec-19 17:50:34

They tend to fuzz out the faces of people not wanting to take part in things like this!

It's going to be a very boring programme if everyone not involved in the decision decides not to take part!

puds11 Sat 07-Dec-19 17:51:40

Oooh OP you could be a fuzz grin

ConfCall Sat 07-Dec-19 17:53:07

You’re under no obligation to agree. And yes, she should have consulted.

ChesterDrawer Sat 07-Dec-19 17:53:51

Hell no!

We had a film crew at work (hospital) and I flatly refused to take part in any of it or even be in the background.

DeathStare Sat 07-Dec-19 17:54:10

I suspect Wendy has probably had to sign an agreement specifically saying that she would not tell anyone about it at this stage. Wendy is probably now absolutely shitting herself because becoming loose-lipped after a few too many drinks at the Christmas Do could have got her in trouble, and could even cause this to be lost. So please don't be cross at Wendy!

As others have said, there is still plenty of time for people who do not wish to be included to opt-out.

Fairyliz Sat 07-Dec-19 17:54:16

Am I the only one thinking this thread is really outing? I can’t imagine there are many doctors surgeries being filmed next year.
Hopefully you have just changed the setting.

LuluBellaBlue Sat 07-Dec-19 17:56:16

Sorry but you’re making a drama about this, IF it does go ahead all you say is you don’t want to be filmed and you won’t be. Simple.

Aquamarine1029 Sat 07-Dec-19 17:57:06

There is NO WAY I would agree to this and there is no way Wendy can force you to participate. The cheek on that one!

WhatchaMaCalllit Sat 07-Dec-19 18:01:32

Well, if it's anything like the way that they film 24 Hours in A&E, I'd imagine that anyone who doesn't want to be filmed will be pixelated out of the scene.
I do think that a meeting should have been held with all of the staff to see what interest there is amongst the staff in taking part because if the staff don't want to take part, then the show will not get off the ground.

Fallulah Sat 07-Dec-19 18:01:43

Production company will need a release form from everyone featured. Just refuse to sign and they will blur you, or more easily for them, just not film where you are.

leghairdontcare Sat 07-Dec-19 18:05:09

There's a lot that can happen between now and September in terms of it falling through. I know someone whose school was on educating Yorkshire etc and they were able to opt out easily.

Kolo Sat 07-Dec-19 18:11:27

My school were involved in talks with the production company about an 'educating ....' series. We went quite far down the line - interviewing students, parents and staff, sorting out filming locations. But staff were consulted during the process and it was easy to opt out. In the end they went to a different local school. (I'm still gobsmacked my Head was up for filming and I did opt out. Can't imagine anything worse than the general public critiquing my professional work, not least having to see myself on tv).

I'd be quite surprised if filming has actually been agreed without them talking to the staff.

RedLipstickHighHeels Sat 07-Dec-19 18:20:09

You’ll need to sign a release,you’re not compelled to participate
Nonetheless it sounds really irksome

maddiemookins16mum Sat 07-Dec-19 18:22:16

I suspect Wendy would have had to get the ‘partners’ of the practice to also be on board but then again I could have been watching too much of a certain daytime soap.

Yetanotherwinter Sat 07-Dec-19 18:23:09

You can have your face blanked out if you don’t want to be in it. I was featured in a Tonight with Trevor McDonald programme about my job. There I was thinking I looked all professional then saw myself on the tv and was the size of a house. I was horrified!!

Aridane Sat 07-Dec-19 18:25:54

Meh - television com0any will need waivers from you before you can be shown

Namechanger23455 Sat 07-Dec-19 18:26:32

You just don’t sign the agreement to be in it, I’ve been filmed for a channel 4 documentary as part of work before but I didn’t sign the document to say I could be used so I was told if they used my footage I’d be fizzled out.

IndecentFeminist Sat 07-Dec-19 18:27:37

I can't imagine she has the authority to do that without the partners' approval. She's only the manager

You can still opt out on an individual level, but I would absolutely approach one of the partners/GPs on Monday.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »