Talk

Advanced search

The 3 biggest mistakes you made

(97 Posts)
Sunnydays999 Sat 07-Dec-19 07:33:29

Just wondering as was thinking what I considered a mistake ( getting sacked ) ended up being for the best as I got therapy and a more suitable job.
What others saw as my mistake ( pregnant and married young ) ended up being the right path

My 3 are biggest life mistakes are
1) living beyond means and the impact it has now
2) not getting away from toxic people soon enough
3) feeling I have to prove myself and fit in

Sunnydays999 Sat 07-Dec-19 07:44:04

Not sure why The voting bit is on grin

CroissantsAtDawn Sat 07-Dec-19 07:51:30

Not co sleeping with DS1 until he was 2 years old and I was pregnant (so could not face getting up 10 times a night - sadly no exaggeration). No one suffered except me. And the effects of severe sleep deprivation are still felt even now he's 8.

Not challenging DS1's gastro pediatricians. He was under their care from the age of 9 months for severe reflux. He was diagnosed lactose intolerant at the age of 3.5 YEARS. So years of pain (and little sleep) which could have been avoided.

Brimful Sat 07-Dec-19 08:00:32

I don't think it's healthy/wise to ruminate over 'mistakes' so I try not to.

Aroundtheworldin80moves Sat 07-Dec-19 08:08:26

I've wondered what my life would have been like if I hadn't chosen to walk home alone one night. What was diagnosed as PTSD a few months later lead me into some very risky behaviour... Including a one night stand with my now DH. But also led to my degree grade not being as good. I can't count it as a mistake as it shaped my life in many ways... But will definitely tell my daughters to take precautions (unless men stop raping and attacking women by then).

dudsville Sat 07-Dec-19 08:11:15

Getting married the 1st time.
Getting married the 2nd time.
Not learning how to have sex until it was too late.
I don't dwell in these, but they are my biggest mistakes. Otherwise I'm really happy with how my life had turned out!

Sunnydays999 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:11:42

Im sorry you had such a traumatic event around the house 💐

Gatehouse77 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:15:28

I tend to think more about pivotal moments and what might have happened if I'd made the 'other' choice.
Such as, my first job was whittled down to two - what might have happened if I'd taken the other one?

Don't get me wrong, I've made mistakes and I regret some of my choices .

blissfulllife Sat 07-Dec-19 08:19:57

In general I wish I'd not been such a people pleaser as it's not helped me at all and I've been walked over a lot. And now it's turned me into a right hard faced bitch with little patience for anyone

BlueGingerale Sat 07-Dec-19 08:26:04

Getting my younger children vaccinated after my eldest had a severe reaction.

So now I have 3 children with SEN which I caused. sad sad sad

(And please don’t tell me - like the doctors did - that severe problems the day of a vaccine are a ‘temporal coincidence’ and def don’t tell me that vaccines are safe and that they didn’t cause my 3 kids SEN. Unless you know me personally and knew my kids before they were vaccinated and know them after)

AnuvvaMuvva Sat 07-Dec-19 08:28:51

1) Not going into the job I'd trained for;
2) Going on that first date with now ex-DH;
3) Dumping Mark.

FergusSingsTheBlues Sat 07-Dec-19 08:31:06

Ooh who's Mark?

Boopsy Sat 07-Dec-19 08:31:10

@BlueGingerale I don’t doubt the vaccines triggered your children’s sn I’ve heard many tales like yours. I’m sure vaccines are safe for the vast majority but a small number react badly to them for whatever reason.

FergusSingsTheBlues Sat 07-Dec-19 08:32:29

Mine is not cosleeping my eldest, we didn't bond properly because I was an angry depressed sleep deprived mess.

It's all good now but I still feel bad.

JoshuaTrees Sat 07-Dec-19 08:32:29

Allowing doctors to put “harmless” mesh inside me to correct mild incontinence. Before the operation I only leaked if I ran, after I was condemned to a lifetime of chronic pain.

Not believing the women who were already speaking out about mesh is my only life regret.

UnaCorda Sat 07-Dec-19 08:32:39

Ben, Marcus and Ian.

Selfsettling3 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:34:30

CroissantsAtDawn sorry to hijack the thread, you probably know this but lactose intolerance in babies is very rare and it maybe that your child has CMPA instead. Lactose free diet does ease the symptoms of CMPA but does not deal with it fully. Over half of all children with CMPA also can’t tolerate soya.

I had my eldest on a lactose free diet until dietian said CMPA. At 3.5 years she is starting to make progress on the milk ladder.

Caramel78 Sat 07-Dec-19 08:34:59

1. Not saving more money
2. Caring what people think of me too much
3. Stuffing myself with food throughout my 20s and going from a size 8 to an 18. I’ve lost some of it now but losing weight is SO much harder than gaining it and I could kick myself.

Actionhasmagic Sat 07-Dec-19 08:35:40

Vaccinations do not cause special needs

snowybaubles Sat 07-Dec-19 08:35:48

@BlueGingerale

I WILL tell you that you didn't cause your children to have SEN by having them vaccinated.

What bollocks.

redcarbluecar Sat 07-Dec-19 08:38:08

Not believing in myself more when I was younger.
Putting several grand into a high risk ISA just before 9/11.
Reversing (on more than one occasion) without checking for the presence of low walls. smile

The80sweregreat Sat 07-Dec-19 08:39:49

1) giving up my job as childcare was hard to find where I lived ( and it was the 90s) and I wanted another child ( so that is a mixed mistake I guess but I never did get my career up and running again after two)
2) buying out first home. Should have waited for the big crash that came a few years later ..
3) letting people walk all over me. Have had to learn that there are givers and takers in life and the takers usually win ( sad to say)
Too many others to list! You live and learn though.

Bogrod Sat 07-Dec-19 08:42:33

Hard to narrow it down to 3 😕

The80sweregreat Sat 07-Dec-19 08:43:58

Redcar, low walls should be banned forever!
Dh did this in a car with sensors at the back and they want to build driverless cars! ..

I've also had a prang recently and my wallet has taken a big hit as I didn't want to go through the insurance. I should have done but didn't want to mess up the no claims..
I sometimes feel my life has been a long list of disasters and mistakes!

Autumntoowet Sat 07-Dec-19 08:44:55

I guess not wearing enough sunscreen growing and and as a teen/early 20s

That is pretty much my only regret, any other decisions I made I learnt from and don’t see them as mistakes.

Apart from perhaps my choice of makeup in my teens. It was the 90s after all

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »