Talk

Advanced search

Baby sleeping on duvet, worried sick

(153 Posts)
Waaaproblems Fri 06-Dec-19 21:26:45

We bought a travel cot prior to a weekend away. I stupidly didn’t check it when it arrived. We’ve arrived at our weekend away and the ‘mattress’ is basically a series of foldable boards with a little foam on top. She screams lying on it and rightly so, it’s awful. I bought a brand new king sized duvet last week which was in the car and unopened. DD (9.5 months) was absolutely knackered and I needed to put her to bed. I’ve resorted to folding the king duvet (10 tog so quite thick 😩) around the ‘mattress’ and tucking it under. She’s absolutely sound asleep but the duvet is bunching a little. She sleeps on her front and I’m worried sick - WWYD. I haven’t taken my eyes off the monitor. We’re not staying in a hotel and there is no opportunity to buy a new mattress, we’ll do this tomorrow. How dangerous is this? I’m having kittens (yes she’s my first born)

bambi2908 Fri 06-Dec-19 21:29:42

At 9.5months she should be absolutely fine, YABU in the nicest possible way!

pinkstripeycat Fri 06-Dec-19 21:29:48

I wouldn’t leave her on it at all. If she grabs it and pulls it over her face.......

NoGuarantee Fri 06-Dec-19 21:30:54

It'll be fine, don't worry. It's tucked tightly under and at her age she can roll and move around so it's not like she'll not move her head or turn over if she needs to. It's when they are too young to move from a dangerous position you'd need to vigilant

Waaaproblems Fri 06-Dec-19 21:31:17

Thank you.

Pink striped, that’s what I’m worried about 😩

dementedpixie Fri 06-Dec-19 21:31:31

Is there any other bedding you could use instead of a thick duvet? A soft duvet with her sleeping face down isnt very safe sounding

BeardofZeus Fri 06-Dec-19 21:31:45

Buy a travel cot mattress on amazon tonight and get it for tomorrow! Jobs a good’un!

BeardofZeus Fri 06-Dec-19 21:32:44

Mean to say, your child is old enough to roll over/change position etc so it’s much less of a risk now, especially as the base of the “mattress” is hard smile

NoGuarantee Fri 06-Dec-19 21:32:58

I doubt she'll be able to pull a 10 tog duvet up over her face when it's tucked in. Try it on your bed yourself, bet its too hard while you're on top of it!

Even if she does, she just roll out the way, kick it off.

Thermalvest Fri 06-Dec-19 21:34:02

I would use a folded up towel or sheet instead

Queenfreak Fri 06-Dec-19 21:34:04

Humm.
I co-slept with my daughter until nearly 2. However it was researched and I slept without pillows etc.
I'm not sure I would leave her on a duvet.
Can you pick her up and remove the duvet and try her again? Failing that a towel may be safer?

dementedpixie Fri 06-Dec-19 21:35:11

How much does the duvet compress if you press your hand on it? Soft bedding like that isn't recommended under 1 year

misspiggy19 Fri 06-Dec-19 21:35:28

I wouldn’t leave a 9 month old on a duvet whatsoever

Ohyesiam Fri 06-Dec-19 21:36:59

Even if she pulled it over her face she’d just scrabble it off again. Can she sit,till, crawl? Then she certainly had the muscle tone to do that.

EarringsandLipstick Fri 06-Dec-19 21:37:01

Agreed. The duvet's too thick. Use a towel or thinner blanket, or have her sleep with you.

SquishyLint Fri 06-Dec-19 21:37:07

I had this exact same problem when we got our travel cot for DD and did this. She was 8 months, slept on her front, but very capable of shifting around and moving her head. I was concerned and check on her regularly, but she was hunky dory. I think it’s probably the best nights sleep she’s ever had 😂.

EarringsandLipstick Fri 06-Dec-19 21:38:03

You must have a sheet for the travel cot? So put a towel down to make a 'mattress' & cover with the fitted sheet as usual. Should be fine then.

redexpat Fri 06-Dec-19 21:39:07

Danish babies have duvets from the day they are born.

adaline Fri 06-Dec-19 21:40:52

Can you put a couple towels or blankets or something down on the foam and cover the entire thing with a fitted sheet to make it more comfy?

needsomehelptoday Fri 06-Dec-19 21:41:11

Could you put the duvet under the mattress? It means the sleeping surface is firm but it should be a lot more comfortable.

Can she sit herself up, climb & crawl etc? If so I'd worry less than about a relatively immobile baby.

bluebella4 Fri 06-Dec-19 21:41:41

Please don't a just the travel cot! Always stick to the regulations. The lullaby trust is great for info.

dontcallmeduck Fri 06-Dec-19 21:42:50

I wouldn’t leave her on the duvet. Too much risk or overheating with it being folded over and also too high a risk of smothering with it gathering. Agree with the towel then Fitted sheet or just try putting her down again on the mattress, she might settle then

Callistone Fri 06-Dec-19 21:43:28

I've done this before, but put the cot sheet over the mattress so baby couldn't actually get at it

commanderdalgliesh Fri 06-Dec-19 21:43:49

It will probably be fine it I'd just put her in bed with you in that situation.

FakeChristmasTreesaremynewnorm Fri 06-Dec-19 21:44:17

She might be safer sleeping in your bed if you can set it up properly for co sleeping. Is that possible? The guidelines are that she should have plenty of room and be well away from any pillows or your blankets (can have her baby blanket from the cot over). There should be no chance of her rolling out of bed or getting trapped by the wall. Ideally she will be next to mum and well clear of dad. The safety of this will obviously depend on your bed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »