Talk

Advanced search

AIBU the courier, the company, the neighbour and the slightly grubby face cream

(83 Posts)
questionofethics Fri 06-Dec-19 20:53:17

Mumsnet virgin - first time poster here looking for some collective wisdom. Sorry for long post!

Ordered some posh face products from Kiehls as a Christmas gift for my neice to be delivered to my office address. Arrived at work on Thursday morning to receive delivery card saying courier had left with neighbour (also a business next door). Went to collect - they were in a bit of a flap and said the parcel had been taken home by someone who worked there. They were going to get it brought back and call me. Heard nothing but they seemed to know it contained Kiehls products.

Went back in today and was handed two bottles - one slightly grubby and with no seals. Was gobsmacked. Asked where packaging was and spoke to girl who had opened it - she was very defensive and she thought it was her package as apparently she had also ordered a package from Kiehls (really!) and had binned the box and delivery note. I asked her had she not read label - she said someone put it on her seat so she just opened it and it was not her fault.

Suggested she keep the products and give me the money so I could replace as gifts. She became really aggressive and said that was not happening. Not sure how to resolve. Phoned Kiehls who said I would have to package and pay for postage and write a letter explaining but they could not guarantee they would replace products.

Have also wasted about an hour of my life trying to get hold of dpd - the courier - which is like being in some seventh circle of hell. Not managed to contact anyone there successfully yet.

Anyone got a creative idea how to resolve?

OlaEliza Fri 06-Dec-19 21:59:07

I'd take it up with whoever employs her.

Cheeky cunt.

Butterflycookie Fri 06-Dec-19 22:08:14

Don’t get parcels delivered to work next time. Use a lock up or something

questionofethics Fri 06-Dec-19 22:08:18

@BoomBoomsCousin
Good point - feel a bit more confident about arguing my case armed with all this helpful advice. Phew!

FlamingoAndJohn Fri 06-Dec-19 22:19:48

she had also ordered a package from Kiehls (really!) and had binned the box and delivery note. I asked her had she not read label - she said someone put it on her seat so she just opened it and it was not her fault.

Bullshit.
If it had turned up at her house and she had ordered something from them then fair assumption that it would be for her.
However she says that it was left at her desk. How would the person who took the parcel to her desk know it was for her? She might see the make and make the assumption but the receptionist wouldn’t.
Also if she thought it was her order why, when she opened it and realised it was the wrong product, did she then open them?
If she could show me her order then I might accept it as a mistake. I don’t think she made any such order and is pulling a fast one.

scoobydoo1971 Fri 06-Dec-19 22:22:44

Your legal contract of sale is with the beauty company. They have a separate legal contract with the courier to undertake delivery. The claim is between you and the seller. It is their responsibility to take further action against the courier for failing to deliver as agreed. You should email the company and explain what has happened. Show photographic evidence, and any tracking information you may have. Offer to return the items to them by recorded delivery, at their expense since it is their fault. If they refuse to refund, ask your bank to step in since I guess you made a payment by debit or visa card.

I bought something months ago from an ebay seller. It was delivered to a neighbour, but the courier claimed it was my address and had signature. I challenged the signature and photo of front door as it wasn't mine. I was refunded and don't know where the item was delivered.

SunshineCake Fri 06-Dec-19 22:23:20

MuddlingMackem Fri 06-Dec-19 22:27:17

As you got part of your parcel back, and you found out who had it, it's not really something which the courier can deal with, at least not directly with you. As far as leaving it with neighbour is concerned, if the sender allows it and you haven't prohibited it then the courier will have followed permissions from their customer, in this case Kiehls.

To be honest, as well as flagging it up with Kiehls to chase with the courier, I'd be reporting the theft to the police. You know who had it, you've received spoiled items so the parcel was located, and you've had an admission from the shop who took it in that they received your item. This is theft by the person from that business, and theft should be reported to the police.

19lottie82 Fri 06-Dec-19 22:27:29

I can’t believe people are suggesting threatening the lady with the police....... they really won’t care. And neither will her employer, she will just tell them it was a genuine mistake. What do you expect them to do exactly?

As advised, keep at it with Kiehls...... their courier didn’t fulfil the delivery.

willdoitinaminute Fri 06-Dec-19 22:35:42

We don’t take deliveries for neighbours for this very reason unless they have asked us to. As DH is retired and at home during the day we are always getting delivery persons trying to leave parcels with us.

Esspee Fri 06-Dec-19 22:39:05

I wouldn't allow the thieving bitch to get away with it. She is to blame and unless she paid me for the stuff she stole I would be talking to her employer. Once she pays she would get the items back.
The company may be able to be held responsible but morally it is the thief who should pay for her dishonesty.

questionofethics Fri 06-Dec-19 22:41:04

Frustratingly I don’t think there’s much comeback with the neighbour. I think it does rest with Kiehls. I paid by credit card and hadn’t thought about contacting bank if I can’t resolve it with company so thanks for that tip. Think I will say to company best not to accept anything for us if it happens again and just to give back to courier to rearrange delivery.

HopeItComesWithBatteries Fri 06-Dec-19 22:59:07

It’s very simple, if she had placed an order with the company and thought it was hers, she will be able to summon up the order and invoice in the twinkling of an eye to prove it.

DingDongSchadenfreudeOnHigh Fri 06-Dec-19 23:00:03

I wouldn't allow the thieving bitch to get away with it. She is to blame

Damn right!

Chucking away the delivery note etc is blooming fishy, too. (I don't know why it is, but it is.)

LightweightStroller Fri 06-Dec-19 23:16:49

Contact your credit card Co. and get a refund. The product didn’t arrive and the transaction should be cancelled. You have 30 days as a consumer.

I strongly recommend not using kheils stuff. It’s quite allergenic as it’s perfumed.

Dr drey YouTube channel is great for dermatology advice. She’s a doctor based in Houston, and will save you a fortune in skincare / makeup.

fascinated Fri 06-Dec-19 23:17:54

Did you authorise delivery to next door? If not then kiehls are liable as in breach of the sale contract.

questionofethics Sat 07-Dec-19 00:06:09

Just looked at Kiehls T&Cs. It says
9.4. Delivery problems:
L’Oréal will not be liable or responsible if your delivery is affected by an Event Outside Our Control (see clause 13) including in the event of overly long delivery time caused by the transportation services, and in the event of the loss of the Products ordered. shock

So basically they are saying they have no liability once dispatched!

MuddlingMackem Sat 07-Dec-19 00:19:24

I don't think they can wash their hands of the situation, according to this:
www.moneywise.co.uk/work/shopping/your-rights-when-parcels-go-missing

Although your situation is complicated by the fact that you got some of the items.

Butterymuffin Sat 07-Dec-19 00:19:53

Bet Martyn Lewis or some of the people on the Money Saving Expert forums would have something to say about that. I would tell Kiehl's you'll now be sharing your experience with them and warning people against using them.

maddening Sat 07-Dec-19 00:22:25

I would say the neighbouring company that took delivery and allowed the member of staff to steal and damage your goods should cough up.

FlamingoAndJohn Sat 07-Dec-19 07:16:26

It’s very simple, if she had placed an order with the company and thought it was hers, she will be able to summon up the order and invoice in the twinkling of an eye to prove it.

Exactly. If she was so sure this was her order then she can show you her order confirmation as proof. Should be easy enough to do.

Yes you should pursue it with the company, regardless of their terms and conditions but I also wouldn’t drop it with the person next door.

If someone else signed for it and it had your name on it then why would it be taken to this other woman?

Honeybee85 Sat 07-Dec-19 07:38:02

Shaming parcel thieves works.

Last year I wasn’t home so package was delivered to an unknown downstairs neighbor. Appearently she had received more packages and someone who went to pick up one of theirs claimed she knew me and she would deliver the package to me. After 5 days I still had not received it, downstairs neighbor didn’t know the name or the appartment number of the person who took it but said the CF who took it had told her during passing each other in the hallway that she had been at my door several times to hand it over to me but I was never home (I work during the day). I got sick of it so hang up a note in the elevator in which I mentioned a package from me being taken from neighbor X and it had been disappeared. And I wanted it back or I would report to the police.

Within a day, my package was returned to me (trough another neighbor!). I knew who took it tuen and made sure that everyone in the building that I was acquinted with, knew what she had tried to do.

Complain to Kiehls and complain to the management of the company next door!

Bigredumbrella Sat 07-Dec-19 07:45:54

I have nothing useful to add except to say Jez I would be pissed off. What a checky fucker, why would you take a parcel that didn't belong to you home from work😯. She should at the very least pay to replace it and she should be in serious shit with her company, that must be gross misconduct surely.

crispysausagerolls Sat 07-Dec-19 07:54:02

Which creams were they exactly? Most of their creams have seals on them - we use kiehls In this house. I would absolutely demand that little fucking madam own up to what she did/escalate to her boss and threaten her etc. The products don’t come with boxes though, so she hasn’t thrown those away, just the outside box.

Kick up a fuss with kiehls anyway on Twitter, as suggested.

Honeybee85 Sat 07-Dec-19 07:56:33

I use the avocado eyecream from Kiehls, trying to remember if it were sealed. I don’t think it was.

There are many ‘unboxing’ videos on YouTube, perhaps try to find one for Kiehls products?

AlwaysCheddar Sat 07-Dec-19 08:00:00

Police? Theft?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »