Talk

Advanced search

House with swimpool. Is it pointless?

(326 Posts)
SweetSally Thu 05-Dec-19 20:20:41

Hi lovelies!
My husband and I are considering buying a house with an indoor swimpool. We don't know anything about swimpools and are not sure if it's a good investment...

The property is in the UK and the swimpool is indoors (extension added to the house) and it also has a conservatory added to it. It's large space and the swimpool is rather generous when it comes to the sheer size of it.

Please, could you share your experience? We actually want to use the swimpool and are not considering the house because of it. We do actually like the property.

VanyaHargreeves Thu 05-Dec-19 20:23:00

Having a swimming pool is pointless if you don't swim. Is that not the main factor for consideration?

MrsPerfect12 Thu 05-Dec-19 20:23:21

I'd go for it. Phone around pool cleaners to get an idea of cost for maintenance. Maybe the owners would have that info.

BooFuckingHoo2 Thu 05-Dec-19 20:23:24

Swimming pools are generally considered an undesirable addition unless the property is ££££ at which point they are expected

VanyaHargreeves Thu 05-Dec-19 20:24:14

Your last paragraph is confusing and contradictory...

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Thu 05-Dec-19 20:24:33

My dream house would have an indoor swimming pool. I would buy it like a shot!

Hellofromtheotherside2020 Thu 05-Dec-19 20:27:45

I'm in Australia so slightly different, but swimming pools aren't hard to maintain. They are like a big science experiment but pretty low maintenance - less maintenance than a hot tub. Cheaper than a hot tub too in my experience (to maintain).

You could always look into seeing if there is a pool company near by who do regular (usually monthly) maintence.

If you like the property then go for it, especially if you say you'll get use from the pool too. And will be lovely in your summer.

ShinyNewNameTime Thu 05-Dec-19 20:30:33

It depends if you would use it surely. I’m swim most days but would never want a house with a swimming pool as they always seem to be 15-20 metres so are difficult to properly swim in. We did look at a property with a swimming pool last time we moved but after looking into the cost of getting it filled in and the room converted we decided against it.

Brittany2019 Thu 05-Dec-19 20:30:40

Is a swimpool different from a swimming pool?

If you like the house, buy it. If you don’t, don’t. If you have the money to buy a house with an indoor pool, you can probably afford the running costs.

billybagpuss Thu 05-Dec-19 20:32:50

My idea of heaven, I'd go in now if I could.

But do do your research first, I do cold water swimming anyway so wouldn't necessarily want it well heated, but you need an idea of costs, chemicals and maintenance.

northerngirl2012 Thu 05-Dec-19 20:33:32

Yes, I’d buy it. Would be brilliant!

FreckledLeopard Thu 05-Dec-19 20:37:14

If it's an indoor pool in an average house then generally it doesn't add value and you'll have maintenance costs. If you're talking about a high end property with cinema room, designer kitchen and costing seven figures or more then it may add value.

Cordial11 Thu 05-Dec-19 20:37:58

Also in Australia and love our pool. It’s not that much hardwork and have maintenance guy once a month. Bills not affected too much.

Is the indoor heated though? That could make a big difference.....

Illeana Thu 05-Dec-19 20:39:03

They’re expensive to run in the UK and have a tendency to cause damp and condensation in the house. It’s different if you’ve got a huge mansion with a proper insulated pool room that’s sealed off from the main house, vs a bog standard extension on a normal size house. You could always fill it in? (would be cheaper in the long run)

Decidewhattobeandgobeit Thu 05-Dec-19 20:40:05

Yabu for saying swimpool instead of swimming pool

bridgetreilly Thu 05-Dec-19 20:42:31

Yabu for saying swimpool instead of swimming pool

This.

If you like the house and want to swim, where's the downside? If you wouldn't use it, then it doesn't make sense to pay extra for a house with a pool and for the maintenance.

BrokenWing Thu 05-Dec-19 20:42:40

Is it one of those swim pool 'treadmill' (but swimming obviously) things?

Longfacenow Thu 05-Dec-19 20:44:19

Is it an "endless" gym pool or a swimming pool?

Scarletoharaseyebrows Thu 05-Dec-19 20:45:22

Swimpool? Is that a swimming pool?

nespressowoo Thu 05-Dec-19 20:45:57

Can you put a Rightmove link up?

Muddlingalongalone Thu 05-Dec-19 20:46:41

My dream house is with an indoor pool- I would use it every night after the kids are in bed. They could swim every weekend. Awesome.

SweetSally Thu 05-Dec-19 20:47:36

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your replies. Apologies for the confusing post, I was trying to juggle a baby and type at the same time (always unsuccessful, yet again I keep on trying).

So far, I have considered the following:
* Cost/need to an additional security lock to the access door to protect our children from gaining access and entering the area
* Cost of maintenance
* Additional cost of repairs
* Cost of heating the room + water during different seasons
* Additional work for us (myself mainly to monitor the water quality and add chemical when needed / contact maintenance company etc)
* What if we want to move on and sell this house? It might take quite long to sell it (many buyers are actually put off the idea of having a swim pool)

We would have considered this property even without the swim pool so we are not trying to be extravagant by any means. My husband has been saying for a year now how much he wishes we had a swim pool and this perfect opportunity has presented itself to us.

What I am looking for is disaster stories of real life experience and hearing the negatives: what if/what could happen/ what has happened to people who have/had an indoor swim pool.

NewtonPulsifer Thu 05-Dec-19 20:47:40

I would love this. A family round here have one and they hire it out for private 1-2-1 or small group swimming lessons to offset the cost of running it.

SweetSally Thu 05-Dec-19 20:48:08

To add a lock*

TatianaLarina Thu 05-Dec-19 20:49:17

From experience, swimming pools are an expense and a faff to maintain. However if you’re aware of the costs and will use it regularly then go for it, there are many health benefits.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »