Talk

Advanced search

To think the Tesco's cashier was out of order?

(248 Posts)
Youngmamaa2 Thu 05-Dec-19 14:47:25

Iv just been shopping with DS 2yo and DD 9months, both sat in the trolly. I went to go pay, the cashier asked how many bags I'd like, I told him how many. Both kids where been quiet,minding their own business in the trolly. The cashier looks at them and turns to me and says "they don't look like brothers at all"...
Fair enough getting the gender wrong, shes not got alot of hair & was in a brown coat.
But to make me feel abit shit that they don't look alike.
Both kids have the same dad. Just my son is bright blonde hair blue eyes and the double of his dad and DD is mousy brown hair and dark eyes, like me.
Aibu to think this comment was out of line? It's bothering me 😕

myusernamewastakenbyme Thu 05-Dec-19 14:48:38

No she was just making conversation...are you always so easily offended?

puds11 Thu 05-Dec-19 14:48:56

Why does it bother you though? I don’t think I’d even register it.

I was once told by a cashier I was too young to have a child when paying for shopping with DD shock

Youngmamaa2 Thu 05-Dec-19 14:49:54

@myusernamewastakenbyme because it was a shitty thing to say 🙄

ActualHornist Thu 05-Dec-19 14:50:09

YABU hmm

Goodnightjude1 Thu 05-Dec-19 14:50:30

It wouldn’t bother me....
I don’t think he was implying your children had different fathers or anything.

Not that it would matter if they did!

Namelessinseattle Thu 05-Dec-19 14:50:54

I'd ask you to take this down because anyone who knows me will think it's me, my two are polar opposites, but I don't actually mind. I mind that although they are opposites both have somehow managed to look like their father. Go figure that one out.

ActualHornist Thu 05-Dec-19 14:51:31

Why is it shitty? Honestly why?

I have three boys. Two are identical twins the other obvs not and doesn’t look like them. Why on earth would I take offence if someone commented they didn’t look like brothers?!

FilledSoda Thu 05-Dec-19 14:51:42

People talk shit all the time , it's a long shift on a till.
You can choose to be offended or not . Personally I wouldn't give it much headspace.

Hotseat Thu 05-Dec-19 14:51:53

YABU, probably making small talk.

LoseLooseLucy Thu 05-Dec-19 14:52:11

So they don't actually look alike?

He was just making conversation, calm down.

MaidenMotherCrone Thu 05-Dec-19 14:53:13

Why didn't you just reply 'that's because they are brother and sister not brothers'.

It really wasn't a shitty thing to say.

Coralfish Thu 05-Dec-19 14:53:23

Bit insensitive being as how they may have been adopted / have different fathers / different sperm/egg donors, which would not make them any less siblings. That said, sounds like none of these are the case here, so my advice would be don't sweat the small stuff. As PP said, she was just making conversation. (I know that's easy to say and in practice it is more difficult to let go if you are feeling offended.)

ballsdeep Thu 05-Dec-19 14:53:28

Seriously? My boys look nothing alike, I always get told it. It's just an observation.
Honestly, some people would get offended by the colour of the sky

Stayawayfromitsmouth Thu 05-Dec-19 14:54:14

Well a raised eyebrow and a hard stare is the appropriate response to stupid comments.
It was a crap thing to say. Just ignore and carry on.

JumpyLiz Thu 05-Dec-19 14:54:20

Ach don’t be daft

halcyondays Thu 05-Dec-19 14:55:18

Why does it matter that they don’t look alike?

I don’t think my dc look much like each other, so was surprised when one of their teachers told one of them she looked like her sister.

Some siblings look very similar but lots don’t.

Majorcollywobble Thu 05-Dec-19 14:55:29

It was a stupid thing for her to say and totally out of order . To make pleasant conversation is one thing but to make personal comments is really inappropriate. Trouble is the time to have tackled her face to face has past . Has the receipt got “how did we do “ on it ? If so tell them you had a crap experience. I’m a Granny and if I’d been there I’d have had something to say . Taking a 9 month old and a 2 year old is enough without this !

RufusthebewiIderedreindeer Thu 05-Dec-19 14:55:31

I think its a really stupid comment

How is that small talk...what in earth are you supposed to say to that conversational gambit

Whatsnewpussyhat Thu 05-Dec-19 14:55:59

Your reaction is very OTT.

My kids don't look alike, they don't even look like me. Who cares.

Hugsgalore Thu 05-Dec-19 14:55:59

Yabu and precious. He's just making conversation. I get told almost on a daily basis my dd looks nothing like me. It's just a fact. It doesn't hurt. I know she's mine.

lilypainter Thu 05-Dec-19 14:56:07

Siblings don’t always look alike. I look nothing like one of my siblings, we each take after different sides of our family, and I heard that sort of comment a lot growing up. I don’t think most people mean anything bad by it.

turkeyontheplate Thu 05-Dec-19 14:56:21

Oh fgs, is this the thread you've started the petty TAAT about?

It was harmless small talk. She doesn't give a shit about you or your kids.

avocadochocolate Thu 05-Dec-19 14:56:26

YANBU. Cashier has no right to make personal comments and should have received training about this.

Happyspud Thu 05-Dec-19 14:56:50

Why would you be offended that they don’t look alike?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »