Talk

Advanced search

To ask for kitten/cat advise ??

(46 Posts)
DidYouSayTea Tue 03-Dec-19 08:08:08

Not sure if this is the right section to ask really ! Also name change from a previous post , but I’m an active user ☺️

So DH and I work full time . He does Maternity Ward shifts ranging from 7.5hours to 10 hours . I work 9-4:30 Monday to Friday . We live on a busy (ish road), it does eventually lead onto the duel carriageway.
DH and I do want a dog but it wouldn’t be doable with our work life really , and it wouldn’t be fair . Plus we are TTC so not sure how it would work when we have a baby. Not fair on the dog .

DH has asked me to consider us getting a cat, so I’d like some advise or guidance from cat owners please .
Would it be a bad idea for us to get a cat if we live on a main road ?

TIA

covetingthepreciousthings Tue 03-Dec-19 08:17:48

You could look at getting an older indoor cat to rehome? I would worry about letting a cat outside when you live on a busy road, some rescues won't rehome to houses on busy roads too.

If you get kittens, I would suggest getting two to keep each other company.

Auberjean Tue 03-Dec-19 08:23:05

If you TTC then you may find a cat annoying with a baby. They can't be left alone in the same room in case off suffocation. Cat nets do not work-at least not the 3 I tried years ago.

Lockheart Tue 03-Dec-19 08:26:46

Try asking in the litter tray - that's the cat section on here.

violetbunny Tue 03-Dec-19 08:27:28

I would look at getting an older cat who is happy to be indoors.

We got kittens this year. Although we got two so they could entertain each other, they've been hard work and needed a lot of attention. Also, although one of them would be fine being an indoor cat, the other one wants nothing other than to explore and would be miserable if we kept her in all the time. She was meowing at the windows practically from the moment we got her aged 15 weeks, and has always been intensely curious. At least with an older cat you will understand more about their personality and individual needs.

adaline Tue 03-Dec-19 08:30:59

I've had cats for years but due to living on a main road they have all been indoor cats.

Lots of rescues have cats who need to be kept indoors for various reasons - blindness, deafness, old age, or illnesses that are dangerous to other cats.

Our current cats are aged 3 and 4 and spend about 22 hours a day sleeping - they're exceptionally easy pets and even when we had kittens we had no problems with their behaviour.

My only suggestion was if you're going for kittens - get two. They need the company and they'll play together and tire themselves out. Lots of older cats are quite happy on their own, though we have two unrelated ones and they get in fine too.

BarbaraofSeville Tue 03-Dec-19 08:31:57

If you get a young cat and let it out, it is very likely to get run over.

Chances are that a rescue will not allow you to adopt one of their cats unless it is known to be an indoor only cat either due to age, previous history or disability. They are also likely to be reluctant if you mention that you are planning DC.

Damntheman Tue 03-Dec-19 11:05:02

They can't be left alone in the same room in case off suffocation This is a myth and untrue. Most cats won't go anywhere near a baby because they're so unpredictable with the flailing. That said, if you're closing your bedroom (or baby's bedroom) door at night then I fail to see when you'd ever be far enough from your baby for a really weird cat to decide to lie on its face. A non problem smile

OP I'd think long and hard about it due to the main road. I second the suggestion to rehome an older cat who is an indoor cat. If you get kittens then get two so they can entertain each other. I would recommend you have indoor cats (although I'm usually a proponent for outdoor cats) simply because the risk is so great. Could you consider getting rats instead? Gorgeous social pets, lovely things and no fear of them getting run over.

RockinHippy Tue 03-Dec-19 11:24:43

Sorry Auberjean, but that doesn't make you sound like someone who knows cats as it's a load of old codswallop.

My old 2 cats were amazing when my DD was born & my maine coons purring was often the only thing that would sooth DD when she was screaming.

OP you'd be fine adopting a cat in these circumstances, I'd probably advise 2 though if you & DH are out all day, though some rescue cats might be needing an only cat home, so that could be an option too, but most cats like company.

Big roads are actually statistically less of a danger to cats that quiet country roads or side streets

MereDintofPandiculation Tue 03-Dec-19 11:29:38

If you want a dog, you probably wouldn't be happy with a cat. They interact with you in a completely different way - they don't a damn about whether you're pleased with them or not.

KarmaStar Tue 03-Dec-19 11:34:49

Hi op
I would say don't get a kitten at this time.
The reasons being;
S/he will be alone for long periods of time,especially at this time of year with Christmas celebrations.
S/he might get fun over on a busy road,a young cat has little road sense.
If s/he gets into mischief,being a kitten,and hurts herself,there won't be anyone home if you are both on day shifts.
A lively young cat and a baby might not mix😀
Could you wait until after Christmas and adopt a cat from a rescue?who is older and more street wise,unlikely to get up to much other than sleeping.
Come January the rescue homes will be swamped with Christmas gift cats the idiots have bought not thinking of through properly and no longer want.
A rescue cat will be so happy to have a home of his or her own too.I
Hope this is of some help,good luck!🐈🐱

thecatneuterer Tue 03-Dec-19 11:45:56

Definitely don't get a kitten or young cat. Young cats are the most likely to get run over. They are full of energy, like to explore, have no fear and no road sense.

I see people above are recommending getting a cat that needs to be kept as an indoor cat for various reasons. If you lived in a flat that would be a good idea. If you live in a house it's a truly terrible idea. It's almost impossible to keep in a cat that wants to be outside. You would never be able to open your windows unless you had them all netted. You would never be able to leave the back door open even for a second. And once your children are running around that would be impossible.

You have two choices. You can get your garden cat-proofed (that would mean six foot fences all round with no gaps, and with special cat netting or poles on the top of the fences to stop the cats being able to climb over. Look at Protect-a-Puss for example). Or you would need to adopt a middle aged or more, sedate cat that isn't very adventurous and that has previously lived on the street so has some road sense. A rescue would be able to identify potential cats for you. To make things more difficult as you are planning to have children then it would also need to be a very chilled and friendly cat generally. It's by no means impossible to find but you might have to wait a little bit until the ideal cat comes along.

AfterSomeAdvice1234 Tue 03-Dec-19 11:46:34

We wanted a dog but couldn't due to work commitments, so rescued an 11 year old male cat. He is so affectionate and playful that we have lots of fun with him (big character!), but as he is not a kitten he is very content at being left all day while we are out. He was an indoor cat so is not fussed about being let out (he has been given the option). Could you visit a local rescue and see if any cats pick you?

RockinHippy Tue 03-Dec-19 11:51:48

They interact with you in a completely different way - they don't a damn about whether you're pleased with them or not.

Not always true, in fact in 40 odd years of keeping multiple cats at a time, I've never had this experience. They absolutely DO care. They aren't clingy in the way dogs can be though, but to me that is a bonus

Parahebe Tue 03-Dec-19 12:21:28

I agree with thecatneuterer.
I wouldn't have an outdoor cat if I lived on a main road, and you may not be able to find a rescue centre who will home an outdoor cat to you because of the road. But equally an indoor cat isn't that easy for all the reasons she says.

I currently have cats who go out into an enclosed garden built by Protectapet (they used to roam freely, but two were killed on the road). We have a lot of the problems associated with indoor-only cats - we can't open windows unless they are securely netted or on tight restrictors, and we have to be vigilant in ensuring they don't escape out of the front door.

You may be able to find an older docile cat who would be right for you, just be aware of the potential issues.

Meruem Tue 03-Dec-19 13:05:45

I WFH and recently got 2 kittens. While they do keep each other company, they also need a lot of attention. I wouldn't want to be leaving them alone all day. They're 4 months old at present and can maybe manage about 2 hours sleeping before they come looking for me! They need a huge amount of stimulation to keep from being bored and going after things they shouldn't, like wires! I agree, an older indoor cat is your best bet.

MissMoiselle Tue 03-Dec-19 13:15:40

We have 7 cats, all different personalities. 2 are outdoor cats and the rest are indoors. I second people advising to get an older indoor cat or waiting until after you have baby to "raise/train" your kitten to be an indoor cat. Cats are very independent and sleep a lot, they will be glad to see you when you get home and you won't get the guilty look you might get from a dog. Cats are lovely companions, may I suggest someone else's advice and wait until after christmas to go to your local animal shelter and give one of the furry babies a new chance at a good life?

MorganKitten Tue 03-Dec-19 13:17:27

Look at rehoming older indoor cats, yes they may not be there long but older cats need homes too, and indoor ones are happy to chill all day.

Drunkvet Tue 03-Dec-19 13:25:01

You sound like perfect cat adopters. It is fine to keep a cat indoors if you live on a busy road but unless you live in a mansion I'd only have one cat. They need space. The cat is no more likely to smother a child than you are. It is not impossible to keep a cat indoors in a house. You just need to close the doors and be careful about windows. Indoor cats do need to be played with more so lots of toys and consider scatter feeding so they have to use their brains (and legs) to eat. Indoor cats are prone to getting chubby so be careful with portions. Also it's really important to make sure they get a good amount of water so think about a drinking fountain and feed a mix of wet and dry food. Good luck with your new kitty, please consider adopting a rescue rather than buying.

thecatneuterer Tue 03-Dec-19 13:33:25

You just need to close the doors and be careful about windows.

Is that all?? Oh, no problem then ....

The amount of people whose newly adopted cats escape when they only have to keep them in for the initial three weeks is unbelievable. Through a bathroom window (but they thought it was too small), through a kitchen window (but it was only open a little bit), someone opened the door to the garden (didn't realise the cat was in the room) ... etc etc. And they only need to keep it in for three weeks. Keeping a cat shut in a house forever, with young children running around, in Summer, with a door to a garden ..... well good luck with that one.

And as for 'training kittens to stay inside' again - can't be done. If there is no means to get out then I agree they can become accustomed to being inside, but it doesn't mean they won't be out of the back door sharpish if it's left open.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 03-Dec-19 13:57:29

We got two young adults in May , they were kept in the one room (our family room/dining room/kitchen combined so plenty of space)

My DC are late teens .

We had a strict regime :
Signs up on the door(both sides) Knock & Wait : Cats to make sure they weren't behind the door .
Gingerly easing into the room whoever was first up.

Making sure we had one or other of the front+porch doors shut in case they made a run for it . Our road is very quiet but I'm not risking them.
Putting washing out meant someone standing guard to let the other out then waiting to get the all clear to go back.
We didn't open any windows apart from the bathroom that we can lock on 1" gap.

They have their catdoor (microchip operated) to have their freedom.

They do sleep a lot . And they choose when and where .
I couldn't cope with a kitten TBH. A nice sedate adult that has a mad half hour is fine

Fcukthisshit Tue 03-Dec-19 14:07:26

I’d say a bad idea to get an outdoor cat for on a main road. Chances are it would be a matter of time before it was either killed or you got hit with a massive vets bills.

You could go for an indoor cat, but lots of things to consider with this. Lots of extra expense with scratch posts, litter trays, toys etc. The cat may not like the scratch posts and use your settee / carpet / skirting boards to sharpen their claws on instead. They also might prefer pooing in your pot plants (I can tell you this from experience).

Cats can live in excess of 20 years so it really is a massive commitment and if you are TTC anyway I wouldn’t get a cat at this point - especially an indoor cat as you will also have to take into account keeping the cat away from the baby (think litter try germs and bum licking).

If you’re desperate for a pet, I’d go for a rabbit. They are easily litter trained and will be quite happy in a hutch / indoor cage for a good portion of the day.

DrunkSanta Tue 03-Dec-19 14:10:53

@thecatneuterer I managed it for 3 years and if I can do it anyone can. You do just need to be careful. That really is all. Rocket science it ain't.

Lizzie0869 Tue 03-Dec-19 14:25:39

They can't be left alone in the same room in case off suffocation

I agree with PPs that this is simply rubbish. If it were a thing, there would be incidents recorded on the news of it happening, like there are about dangerous dogs.

I also second what other PPs have said about getting an adult indoor cat, as so many cats do get run over on busy roads (that happened to two cats my family had when I was a teenager). An adult cat from a rescue centre can be so rewarding. When I bought my first property (a lovely one bedroom flat), I got myself a lovely 3 year old cat and had 10 very happy years with her. smile

70isaLimitNotaTarget Tue 03-Dec-19 14:28:08

Indoor cats there's the litter tray to contend with.
And before anyone says "Get your DH to empty it" cats always pick the most awkward moment to bless their tray <<voice of experience>>

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »