Talk

Advanced search

Tax credits have just put nearly 10k in my bank

(457 Posts)
TheWildOnesNeverDie Tue 03-Dec-19 00:18:59

Just checked my bank, as I do most days at 12am incase payments have Gone in from my free lance job.
I don’t earn very much so I like to keep an eye.

I have just checked and nearly had a heart attack to see there was 8k in there. Last time I checked I had £113

I quickly scrolled to see where it had come from and it says bank giro - which is usually tax credits/ child benefit, but I get paid on a Friday.
And usually only £63 per week.

I have one child, have not changed circumstances all year. Haven’t contacted them for anything recently either.

WHAT DO I DO?

Wildthyme Tue 03-Dec-19 00:20:25

Call them first thing in the morning. Do not spend it.

Stuckinarut81 Tue 03-Dec-19 00:21:46

Have a lovely Christmas? grin

Seriously, just call them tomorrow. Maybe you’ll be very lucky and it might turn out they’ve worked out they owe you money from years gone by. But more likely it’s a mistake, and the last thing you want to do is spend it then have to pay it back.

SlothOfSluggishness Tue 03-Dec-19 00:23:50

Has anyone you know died? Could be inheritance?

Does it give a bank account number that it came from?

In the meantime tho, wehay!

Hellofromtheotherside2020 Tue 03-Dec-19 00:24:10

Deffo call them and check.
I had this before and I was worried that if I spend it, I'd go to jail as it is theft.
Worked out that they had made an error with our claim and had backdated the payment and put it into my account as a lump sum.

We had an awesome Christmas in New York with that money!

TheWildOnesNeverDie Tue 03-Dec-19 00:25:31

Absolutely no intention of spending it, terrified they will say it’s all fine and then ask for back later !

Strangely enough I made a wish for the exact amount a few days ago, as we are struggling for cash and could very much do with it!
Still, it’s staying there Til they take it back.

Here’s too hoping they will reward my honesty (😂)

gamerchick Tue 03-Dec-19 00:26:02

Dont spend it. Ring them tomorrow.

TheWildOnesNeverDie Tue 03-Dec-19 00:26:59

@Hellofromtheotherside2020 oh my gosh ! That is the dream! Glad you enjoyed it! 🥰

It IS possible that they have made a mistake, as last year I received almost nothing and we were brassic. But I always feel like it’s ‘free money’ so I should never make a fuss 😅

funkylittleboatrace Tue 03-Dec-19 00:28:09

I really hope it's not a error OP,I had a mini windfall today and it's made my day fingers crossed you can keep it the money and it's not a mistake🍀 .

MeTheCoolOne Tue 03-Dec-19 00:38:57

🤞🏻. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you OP.

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 03-Dec-19 00:48:12

As someone who is waiting for my tax rebate to go in this week as HMRC fucked up my tax code giving me a £2,500 allowance this year (yep, you read that right!) it wouldnt surprise me that they fucked up last year.

Keeping everything crossed you can have a stonking Christmas on that money!

RollOnNextYear Tue 03-Dec-19 00:53:22

Did u give correct figures for your renewal?
My friend let her dh do theirs one year and instead of estimate 25k earning he put 250k. She didn't receive payments till the following year when his end of Yr was done.. Needless to say they got a huge rebate.

HeIenaDove Tue 03-Dec-19 00:56:10

Fingers crossed OP but whatever you do dont touch it until you have spoken to them and got definate confirmation from them that its correct

ffswhatnext Tue 03-Dec-19 00:56:52

My friend let her dh do theirs one year and instead of estimate 25k earning he put 250k

It's always good to overestimate, I do it every year.But only by 10k max 🤣

RollOnNextYear Tue 03-Dec-19 01:04:53

Yeah it wasn't intentional lol. He's not done it since lmao

changeforprivacy Tue 03-Dec-19 01:05:07

Bank giro just means the payment method so it could have come from anywhere. Does your bank not allow you to click on the transaction for more detail? It's strange it doesn't specify, usually it will say where the payment is from then the method of payment (or the other way round, but separate columns)

I wouldn't call tax credits unless you are sure it came from them tbh.

Cattycarryon Tue 03-Dec-19 01:14:01

I'd be ringing the bank first to see if they can tell where it came from before I ring tax credits ! Is there a chance someone has paid you for free lance work but put the decimal in the wrong place so hundreds instead of thousands ?
I really hope for you that it is money you are entitled to and you get to keep it !

Myshitisreal Tue 03-Dec-19 01:21:04

I'd love to hear its actually for you 🙏 😇

kateandme Tue 03-Dec-19 01:53:21

oh op good luck.

PyongyangKipperbang Tue 03-Dec-19 02:01:51

BORING ADULTING ADVICE ALERT

This is why I have my Gov Gateway account set up. I can sign in every month to see what my income tax payments have been, what my UC payments will be, what my tax code is etc. I would like to say that this was how I realised I was being overtaxed. Actually it was when my payslip showed I had paid 25% of my total earnings in tax which I had missed every month since April blush

If you set it up you can see straight away if the payment came from them rather than waiting for hours on the phone or waiting for the letter.

Mammyloveswine Tue 03-Dec-19 02:18:39

Oooh following! Also hoping for similar grin

onioncrumble Tue 03-Dec-19 02:20:13

Shameless place marking. Fingers crossed

Purpleneonpinkunicorns Tue 03-Dec-19 02:26:07

Fingers and toes crossed that it's a rebate for you op

thr33andme Tue 03-Dec-19 02:28:27

Place marking because I hope it's for you!

readysteadylook Tue 03-Dec-19 02:31:51

Ooh really hope you get to keep it!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »