Talk

Advanced search

With the heating in the house?

(69 Posts)
RoseMartha Mon 02-Dec-19 20:38:17

I am on a tight budget. I live in a mid 1960's terrace.

I currently have heating set for one hour in the morning and two hours in evening but I will if cold put it on for three hours in the evenings or longer on weekend mornings if necessary. I set temp at 20 degrees.

One of my dc's keeps telling me I am mean. That I should put it on 25 and all the time. Said dc will also prefer to go about the house in underwear rather than dress properly.

I have told my said dc that underwear (bra and knickers), is not suitable for winter round the house and a hoodie and t shirt and leggings would be ideal. Dc is having none of that apparently I am the worst mother ever. If she wants to wear underwear only she will.

I have also suggested she uses a fleece blanket if she is cold.

I feel the cold a lot but have not been cold with heating as it is as I layer and always have a jumper on.

AIBU?

John470322 Mon 02-Dec-19 21:01:20

Wear a jumper. I've got Alexia linked to my heating. I said to her that I was cold wondering if she would turn on the heating. Her reply was "Have you thought of putting on a jumper?"
I agree with her, we all need to do a bit to reduce the consumption of fuel to help the planet and our cash.

Tminus3days Mon 02-Dec-19 21:03:48

YADNBU. We all wear extra clothes in our house and actually 3-4 hours a day is a fair chunk of time to have heating on for.

Northernsoullover Mon 02-Dec-19 21:06:34

I'm wearing socks, fleece pjs and a thick dressing gown. Its 21 degrees with the heating on but I'll turn it off now. You aren't being unreasonable.

poshme Mon 02-Dec-19 21:07:23

Ask your child about the climate- turning the heating up is bad for the planet.

BooseysMom Mon 02-Dec-19 21:08:09

I have the heating set to 20. It comes on at 6am, off at 8, then on at 18 for an hour at lunch and on 20 again at 6pm then off at 9. If it drops below 16 it comes on automatically. I've tried setting it a degree lower and in this weather it's too cold. It's not economical anyway to let the temp drop right down as it costs loads more to get it back up again.
So YANBU

Wildorchidz Mon 02-Dec-19 21:08:42

Yanbu

Nojustyou Mon 02-Dec-19 21:12:00

Well, it's winter, she is completely BU not to wear winter clothes indoor. They'll be freezing when they go out if they live in their underwear indoors.

I would be absolutely freezing if I only put the heating on for 3 hours at the moment. I'd rather keep it on low and have a constant temperature, and the house feels warmer, it takes too long to warm up otherwise.

Buy her an electric blanket for Christmas. it is miserable to be cold, and if you sit down to study, you can't warm up.

Underwear only at this time of year is ridiculous.
Hoodies are not warm enough, need thermal, long sleeve and proper jumpers.

gamerchick Mon 02-Dec-19 21:12:36

Dc is having none of that apparently I am the worst mother ever. If she wants to wear underwear only she will

Then someone is going to feel a smite chilly then grin

I'm envious, it takes all twating day to heat my house up to a bearable level.

Pipandmum Mon 02-Dec-19 21:15:10

Mine is set at 18 downstairs and comes on when it drops below that. I don't normally have it on upstairs unless really cold (or have guests staying). I live in a large detached Victorian house and even after paying a fortune for sash double glazed windows and insulating the roof space it's quite drafty. But my wood burning stove keeps us toasty.

CherryPavlova Mon 02-Dec-19 21:19:40

I dislike being cold. We e heating on at 22degrees 6-10 am and 4-10pm.
Then usually one of the wood burners from about 5pm, If we’re in.
This time of year the Aga is on 7am to about 8 pm in the evening as well. It gives background heat and dries clothes.

Our house is old and leaks heat though. I don’t think it ever actually gets to 22 degrees.

Underwear isn’t enough for colder weather but I understand her desire for more heat.

Betterversionofme Mon 02-Dec-19 21:24:11

Your presumably teenage daughter says you are the worst mother ever?
UADNBU over heating. You'd be unreasonable giving in as you are responsible for covering all the bills. House doesn't need to be warm, human body needs to be warm. Give her some energetic chores to keep her warm.

vivacian Mon 02-Dec-19 21:24:19

Why would you even start this thread?

Northernsoullover Mon 02-Dec-19 21:25:50

viv why would anyone start any thread?

Scotinthenorth Mon 02-Dec-19 21:26:37

I grew up in a freezing house because my mum only put it on a little while. I was freezing and miserable and I suspect they are too. I vowed never to do that to my child.

Gogreen Mon 02-Dec-19 21:29:20

Yabu, I think 20 degrees is cold, ours is set higher and on most the day.

Nothing worse than being uncomfortable in your own home, and I hate wearing layers of clothes when I’m trying to relax at home.

Walking around in underwear in winter is just asking for trouble though, even I’m not that bad!

DowntownAbby Mon 02-Dec-19 21:30:25

How old is she, OP?

If she's old enough to be earning, give her the choice to contribute extra for the heating or put some clothes on.

NerdyBird Mon 02-Dec-19 21:31:42

You're not really being unreasonable, but perhaps if you can afford to have the heating on for a little longer in this cold snap it might be nice. Your dd should definitely put proper clothes on.
I feel the cold terribly. I have a vest, hoodie, big cardie, wrist/hand warmers, jeans and socks on and I've just got under the duvet. The room I'm in is 21c apparently. I still won't turn the heating up.

recklessruby Mon 02-Dec-19 21:35:38

Yanbu. She d hate me as her mum. I ve just put it off after an hour at 20c. House is warm.
She just needs to put clothes on!
I thought most young people were worried about climate change? I am and I m not young.

Tigger001 Mon 02-Dec-19 21:37:35

You are not being unreasonable in the thinking that your child should dress for the weather more

25 IMO is too hot. We have our thermostat on 20 through the night so it doesn't drop too cold and about 20/21 through the day when we are in.

StrayWoman Mon 02-Dec-19 21:38:20

Of course she's bloody cold, the daft sod.

It's November and -1 outside, if she's in her underwear then it's her own fault she's cold.

She'd think I was a shit parent too, tell her to put a dressing gown on and do some hoovering, that'll warm her up.

Wynston Mon 02-Dec-19 21:39:09

Show her the video where some poor kids go to bed with coats on as they have no heating.......that really is sad.

firstimemamma Mon 02-Dec-19 21:44:35

Yanbu. 25 is very hot! I moan in this house when it hits 23.

vivacian Mon 02-Dec-19 21:46:05

viv why would anyone start any thread?

Good question grin Because some things are ambiguous? Shades of grey? Out-of-the-norm?

But what did the OP expect? Half of replies to say, "Of course YABU. It's perfectly appropriate to want to wander around in your underwear in December".

Topseyt Mon 02-Dec-19 21:47:29

She should actually try wearing some appropriate clothing.

She still might have a point though that you need to heat the house more.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »