Talk

Advanced search

Saving seats in train

(212 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

managedmis Mon 25-Nov-19 12:13:16

Every morning a woman on my train saves her mate a seat. Every morning the train is rammed and loads of people ask her to move her bag but she refuses and saves she saving it for her pal, who eventually shows up. People end up standing, the seat free, then pal arrives. I've seen a couple of people ignore her, move the bag and plump down in the seat, the entire train almost cheered.

What's the protocol here?

JacquesHammer Mon 25-Nov-19 12:17:02

What's the protocol here?

Sit on the bag

AryaStarkWolf Mon 25-Nov-19 12:18:03

Does the friend get on a few stops into the journey or something? Yeah I'd move her bag aswell

SarahAndQuack Mon 25-Nov-19 12:18:24

Yep, move the bag. She's being ridiculous.

LadyGrey1013 Mon 25-Nov-19 12:18:58

No saving on busy public transport! Sit.

GruciusMalfoy Mon 25-Nov-19 12:20:27

Seats, unless reserved/priority, are first come first served on public transport. I'd move her bag.

Havaina Mon 25-Nov-19 12:20:50

Move the bag of course!

Do it tomorrow and report back OP wink

havingtochangeusernameagain Mon 25-Nov-19 12:20:51

If they are getting on at the same station and it's just taking them a while to get through the train, fine.

If they are getting on anywhere else, tough. If you want to sit together you go to the back (assuming a commuter train into London where the carriages at the back tend to be (a bit) emptier because most of the London stations are terminii). Or stand up somewhere and chat if no room to sit.

GrumpyHoonMain Mon 25-Nov-19 12:20:58

Protocol is to remind her that if there isn’t a reservation it’s not her friend’s seat and that if she doesn’t move her bag you will and you won’t be careful about it.

TheYear Mon 25-Nov-19 12:20:59

Absolutely move/sit on the bag. As if you even have to ask!

ClaudiaWankleman Mon 25-Nov-19 12:21:25

I sit on bags, hands, knees or anything else in the way of the ever elusive seat.

SuperMeerkat Mon 25-Nov-19 12:21:27

Move the bag. I bet she’s a sunbed reserver on holiday. I take great pleasure in removing those towels as i’m not sitting on the floor whilst a towel sunbathes til 3pm!

DriftingLeaves Mon 25-Nov-19 12:23:17

OK if they get on at the same stop. Maybe friend has mobility issues. Not OK if it's further down the track.

Hellohah Mon 25-Nov-19 12:23:36

Exactly what they did - move the bag and sit down! EVERY TIME.

I'm a train commuter, so on the train every day - people need to be called out on ridiculous entitled behaviour, and this is ridiculous entitled behaviour.

scrumptiousbears Mon 25-Nov-19 12:29:25

So what does seat saver do when people just move her bag?

ChardonnaysDistantCousin Mon 25-Nov-19 12:32:10

Sod the bag and the seat bagger.

If she's so bothered about her friend getting seat she can always let her have hers.

managedmis Mon 25-Nov-19 12:38:40

They do not get on at the same stop.

Saver is always on already, 'saving' as it were, then pal gets on.

So what does seat saver do when people just move her bag?

^^
Pipes up that she's saving it for her friend etc etc. It does usually tend to be huge blokes that move the bag and sit down. They just respond with 'you can't save seats love' etc.

AFairlyHardAvocado Mon 25-Nov-19 12:41:11

Ugh I'm always so surprised these people are so entitled and with no shame when most of us would be embarrassed!

I would say that's not fair, please move your bag and sit down. Or no, I'm here now I'm going to sit down so move your bag. But that's assuming she will then concede and people like this don't do that.

Then I feel stuck because I don't want to physically move their stuff or cause a row, mainly because such entitled people are the first to then play the victim and accuse their confronters of being violently aggressive / damaging their property etc.

If anyone has a foolproof way of dealing it then I want to know too!

JPharm Mon 25-Nov-19 12:43:46

Can you report her to the train staff?

PleasePassTheCoffeeThanks Mon 25-Nov-19 12:47:05

I’d just move the bag and sit. And feel quite happy about it as well.

friedbeansandcheese Mon 25-Nov-19 12:47:54

You can't save seats!! Her friend should feel mortified at people having got on the train before her standing and leaving a seat free for her! Move the bag, politely, each day. Cheeky mare.

BuzzShitbagBobbly Mon 25-Nov-19 12:51:19

And then what? Does she submit (because they're right!) or carry on protesting?

Tell her if she's so keen to give her friend a seat, she can shift her own backside when friend boards!

managedmis Mon 25-Nov-19 12:51:38

See I'm the same as this:

Then I feel stuck because I don't want to physically move their stuff or cause a row, mainly because such entitled people are the first to then play the victim and accuse their confronters of being violently aggressive / damaging their property etc.

I was thinking about reporting her to the train staff but then that seems childish? confused

dontalltalkatonce Mon 25-Nov-19 12:53:05

I move their bag and sit down. I'm not a big bloke, or a bloke at all, in fact. 'Excuse me, is this your bag?' 'Yes, I was saving a seat.' 'No reserved seats on this line,' pick up bag, place on her, sit down. Fuck that.

Or now you know it's hers, just pick it up, give it to her and sit down. Why speak to her at all? Fuck her, cheeky cow.

Honeybee85 Mon 25-Nov-19 12:54:09

Very entitled behavior! Some people are utterly shameless.

I wouldn’t move or sit on the bag as you might end up getting a violent response from her or her mate/ both of them, but if she does this every day, I would report her to train staff. If anyone is being childish, it’s her.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »