Talk

Advanced search

WWYD- over panicked parent or....

(47 Posts)
Sweetpeach3 Fri 22-Nov-19 14:12:19

DD is 2 an started to vomit at 4am. Shes since had water and a biscuit then a quarter of a very bland sandwich at dinner so not much what so ever

She's still being sick with a temp of 37.5 - 37.8
She's red hot but her hands and feet are ice cold to the point their purple and she's having the odd shakes.

She's just been sick all over me again but has fell asleep now

I don't want to be an over panicked parent as I know their is a bug going around. And She's in the doctors later today as I like to be safe then sorry but from other people's experiences would you just take her now or wait ?
She's settled on me but she won't leave my side or let me put her down so she's clearly achey all over an just super wingey in general. She's okay for 20 mins once she's had calpol but after that it's back to the beginning. Iv not noticed any rashes but I know their is meningitis and septicimia that can happen without rashes (3 of my nephews had it at once meningitis and 2 didn't get s rash) so I am very much on egg shells

Don't know what to do for the best?

Bowserlovesmojitos Fri 22-Nov-19 14:14:04

Cold hands and feet - I'd be going to a&e. Warning of sepsis isn't it?

AlwaysCheddar Fri 22-Nov-19 14:14:30

She’s 2! See a doctor or call 111!!!

churchandstate Fri 22-Nov-19 14:20:30

It’s highly unlikely to be sepsis or meningitis, but get it checked out.

doublebarrellednurse Fri 22-Nov-19 14:22:33

She's under 3 she should be seen by a doctor or at least have a conversation with the GP on duty at your surgery.

It's likely she has a bug but bugs are more serious for some kids than others.

feelinghelplesstoday Fri 22-Nov-19 14:25:18

Please call 111 for further advice. I'd be concerned at cold and discoloured extremities x

OrangeSlices998 Fri 22-Nov-19 14:28:41

I’d take her to hospital. If something doesn’t feel right then follow your instincts - the worst that will happen is that she’s not as poorly as you’re worried she is. Worth the peace of mind in my opinion!

Hidingtonothing Fri 22-Nov-19 14:31:26

111 at the very least but I think I'd be heading straight to A&E tbh OP, just to be safe. Hope DD is ok.

Kaykay066 Fri 22-Nov-19 14:33:07

Cold hands and feet are signs of High temp discolouration because she is small so if you’re giving paracetamol and if she can have it ibuprofen is it bringing it down but as you are having her seen still give her meds but mention the colour to her legs.

In regards to what she’s eating and drinking
Don’t worry about eating but she must take in fluids. We normally do 5ml/5min of sugary juice little enough to get into her and sugar to keep blood sugar up - not many kids tolerate dioralyte and it doesn’t have sugar in it. If she can’t keep anything down I’m sure your gp will refer her to your paediatric ward for assessment as she’s so young. It’s worth trying the fluid challenge up until you are seen. It’s most likely it’s a tummy bug as she’s tiny it knocks them off more than older kids, and if you’re really worried call to have her seen sooner or go to a&e we can’t see her or assess her via internet so you’re best having her seen

user1480880826 Fri 22-Nov-19 14:33:22

It’s very normal to have cold hands and feet when you have a temperature. It just sounds like a stomach bug to me. I wouldn’t be too worried. See your GP if you need reassurance.

Also, 37.5 would not really be considered having a temperature. That’s within the normal range.

Elbeagle Fri 22-Nov-19 14:37:42

Well 37.5 isn’t actually classed as a temperature so I wouldn’t be worried in that respect (I think 37.9 is the point at which it becomes a fever?). It sounds like a tummy bug but as with everything, if you’re really worried then get her seen.

Busybeebeebee Fri 22-Nov-19 14:38:58

Please call 111, don’t take her to a doctors surgery because if she’s contagious it’s unfair on other patients.

AuchAyeTheNo Fri 22-Nov-19 14:40:35

If her her hands and feet are genuinely colder to touch and she has a temp I would be at A&E and I’m by no means a worrier.

Hope she’s alright flowers

Nottalotta Fri 22-Nov-19 14:42:22

Ds has had this for a week. Sick I've 2 days, off food, not wanting to drink. Temperature spikes still on day 7. Seen GP and spoken to twice. It's a flu like thing that he has, he is getting better but so slowly. Also aged 2. Tell went up to 40 in the middle of the night weds night. I'd go to Drs as planned later.

Bourbonbiccy Fri 22-Nov-19 14:46:17

I think as it was 14.00 when you posted if she is in to see the GP later (assuming appointment is the next couple of hours before they close) I would hang on to see the GP rather than go to A&E and ring 111 in the meantime if really worried.

It's so difficult knowing what's best for our little ones, go with your gut though. You are with her and can see more then us. Good luck hope everything is fine and it's just a tummy bug 💐

willloman Fri 22-Nov-19 14:53:22

Fluids much more important than food when being sick like this. Get some rehydrating powders, or add a tiny bit of salt to coke to flatten it. If she's able to sip she should be fine. Don't try and make her eat sandwiches. Grated apple also good when she's up to it.

Confusedbeetle Fri 22-Nov-19 14:55:25

she is seeing a doctor today

Confusedbeetle Fri 22-Nov-19 14:57:10

Please do not give coke flattened with salt. Salt replacement powders are not necessary at this stage. Flat pop is an old fashioned remedy and is now thought can be a bad thing

Kaykay066 Fri 22-Nov-19 14:58:29

Hospital I work at we give diluting juice with sugar 5ml/5min

Confusedbeetle Fri 22-Nov-19 14:59:25

Give water only on a teaspoon so you can gauge what she can tolerate and how much she keeps down. Little and often. If you give too much it will come right back. This is less than 24 hours so you are still within normal

LendAnEar Fri 22-Nov-19 14:59:26

Why are you taking a vomiting child to a busy doctors surgery?? hmm

BarbarAnna Fri 22-Nov-19 15:00:27

www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/spotting-signs-serious-illness/

According to this link, cold hands and feet is a sign of something possibly serious. Please read this and check against the other warning signs. I was sent to the hospital with my baby with similar. Thankfully all turned out ok.

Sweetchicken Fri 22-Nov-19 15:03:45

A temperature is the bodies way of fighting infection. I'd leave off the Calpol unless temp gets dangerously high, it's not going to be doing her stomach any good.

Hope she's ok and the doctor can reassure you.

kateandme Fri 22-Nov-19 15:41:08

do NOT give her brufen if she isnt stomaching food.its is an irritant and errodes the lining and needs something in the tummy to coat it.

Jinxed2 Fri 22-Nov-19 15:44:34

I’d be worried about the hands and feet being cold, ring 111

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »