Talk

Advanced search

To be raging Grace Millane’s Murderer’s name is suppressed

(221 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MabelMoo23 Fri 22-Nov-19 10:12:18

I know his name - it’s not hard to find - but it’s been legally suppressed until at least 2021

Grace has had her private life dragged through the mud, her parents had to hear accounts of her sex life - which let’s face it came from his account and his defence team.

And he gets his identity protected and the reason for it????

I’m not going to name him as I don’t want this post deleted, but apparently there are times in NZ law that identity can be protected because revealing it can affect other outcomes

Beautiful Grace, rest in peace

Blackopal Fri 22-Nov-19 10:17:38

Yanbu.

I can't believe that her history was talked about in court, how can that matter at all?

Very strange and back to front world we are living in now.

I can't imagine how Grace's family can cope with this.

So very sorry Grace

BowermansNose Fri 22-Nov-19 10:19:40

YABU.

This is a case in New Zealand. They have (as far as I know) a good legal system. It has been ruled that this is appropriate. What purpose other than to satisfy the mob will it serve to release his name?

ballsdeep Fri 22-Nov-19 10:21:30

I felt so sorry for her family having to listen to sordid details of her sex life.

gypsywater Fri 22-Nov-19 10:22:01

It's all over Twitter...just google her name and up it pops. Scumbag.

Blackopal Fri 22-Nov-19 10:22:58

There is another thread on this.
They are saying the suppression may be due to him either being in the public eye or he has other similar cases yet to go to court.

Baying mob? If only the world did react like that to the murder of a young woman.

Graces sexual history and name are laid out for all to pick over and his name is suppressed. Again, strange old world.

Herocomplex Fri 22-Nov-19 10:23:20

I can only suppose that he’s involved in something else, and his identity being revealed might jeopardise someone else getting the justice they deserve.

Evilspiritgin Fri 22-Nov-19 10:24:06

I’d presume it’s not for him but his family members

isabellerossignol Fri 22-Nov-19 10:25:09

On the one hand I think it's terrible that her name has been dragged through the mud. On the other hand, I desperately hope that the legal system knows what it is doing and there is a good reason for it.

Poor Grace, and her poor family.

Ratonastick Fri 22-Nov-19 10:25:13

I think it may be because he is involved in another trial in some way and it is important not to prejudice that one. It is shit for Grace’s family, but there maybe another family involved too. NZ have a good legal system (one that has thrown out the rough sex defence) and a commitment to open justice so I suspect there is a good reason.

GhoulWithADragonTattoo Fri 22-Nov-19 10:25:45

A colleague of mine was murdered a couple of years ago and the person who did it was not named because he was 17 at the time. It did feel more upsetting to not know who the responsible person was. He has since been named once he turned 18 which I think was the right decision by the judge and does allow closure for family and friends.

I think it's right that under 18s should not be named but I think adults, as in Grace's case, should be named.

MarshmallowMuggle Fri 22-Nov-19 10:25:58

The pictures of her broken parents leaving court are just devastating. Poor Grace; her poor family. It’s absolutely tragic.

I don’t know anything about the NZ legal system, but have to assume they have a good reason for suppressing the name, otherwise it’s just too depressing.

Heartbreaking.

spacepyramid Fri 22-Nov-19 10:26:20

I can only suppose that he’s involved in something else, and his identity being revealed might jeopardise someone else getting the justice they deserve.

I think it's for this reason but his name is out there - I inadvertantly saw it (and have now forgotten it) in a broadsheet newspaper online article. I wouldn't use it anyway, I can just call him a piece of scum so why would I need his name?

Cheeserton Fri 22-Nov-19 10:27:22

So you don't know the reason yet declare it outrageous. YABU.

Hingeandbracket Fri 22-Nov-19 10:27:34

YANBU NZ is a very progressive Country with a good legal system.

Hingeandbracket Fri 22-Nov-19 10:28:11

SOrry that should have read YABVU - bastard autocorrect

Clymene Fri 22-Nov-19 10:29:19

He's been named extensively in British media. Do the NZ reporting restrictions apply internationally? It doesn't look like they do.

CurryAndCobra Fri 22-Nov-19 10:29:27

Back in 2018, the suspect was named in The Independent. What has changed since then?

LakieLady Fri 22-Nov-19 10:31:02

My guess is that his ID is being withheld because there are other cases in the pipeline.

I'm ok with that, if it prevents him getting off on other charges because publicity may prejudice the outcome of proceedings for those.

He's a vile cunt though, and I hope he has a truly awful time in prison.

Nikhedonia Fri 22-Nov-19 10:31:20

Does anyone know why he isn't being sentenced until February next year?

GCAcademic Fri 22-Nov-19 10:32:19

I think we should look to our own justice system which has been consistently failing to secure appropriate convictions for "sex games gone wrong" before criticising NZ's.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 22-Nov-19 10:33:08

I've been wondering about this too and am assuming that it's because there are/is another case or cases pending. However, the only name we all need to remember in this case is Grace Millane.

MabelMoo23 Fri 22-Nov-19 10:33:45

Sorry I didn’t see there was another thread on this

NZ reporting rules don’t apply here I don’t think, but international media were told they would be barred from the court room if they did report

CurryAndCobra Fri 22-Nov-19 10:34:06

"I think we should look to our own justice system which has been consistently failing to secure appropriate convictions for "sex games gone wrong" before criticising NZ's."

This!

Crystal87 Fri 22-Nov-19 10:35:09

His identity had been released. But other articles say he can't be named for legal reasons. I don't understand this. His identity is out there though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »