Talk

Advanced search

To be fed up of friend and her excuses?

(62 Posts)
loopyhatter Wed 20-Nov-19 14:18:36

I fell out with her a couple of years ago because of her lying and dropping me in it.
Today is her birthday and I booked a table for 1pm to go for a Italian meal.
Bought her a gift and a little cake etc
Text her happy birthday at 9am no reply.
I went to town anyway where we were meant to meet and said "are we still meeting at 1pm"
No reply
Text me 15 mins ago saying
"I'm so so sorry"
Then said ring me
I did ...and she puts her sick voice on
"I am so I'll,I woke up vomiting this morning"
She's full of shit,if she was a actress she wouldn't win a Oscar.
Any other friends I would believe them but from our history I know when she's lying
Aibu here to be annoyed ?
She asked to arrange for another day I just said I'm busy

Winterdaysarehere Wed 20-Nov-19 14:19:46

Keep a look on her sm today and tomorrow. Likely you will be able to call her out for lying for sure...

Dustarr73 Wed 20-Nov-19 14:23:17

You know shes lying.Just block her and move on.And keep the gift.

EmmiJay Wed 20-Nov-19 14:31:36

Keep the gift for yourself or get a refund. Thats just rude to do that to anyone let alone a friend.

TheReluctantCountess Wed 20-Nov-19 14:32:45

I wouldn’t bother rearranging.

lexiii Wed 20-Nov-19 14:35:27

Keep the gift and eat her cake

GOATmum Wed 20-Nov-19 14:35:56

Ditch her! Life's tooooo short for shit like that. Connect with your nice friends and support those friendships instead.

Thehop Wed 20-Nov-19 14:39:57

Ditch the bitch!

holly40 Wed 20-Nov-19 14:40:09

Really sweet of you to book a restaurant, get her a pressie and a little cake (wish I had friends like that!).
Did she know in advance that you were going for lunch, and had agreed she wanted to on her bday? Seems so odd to just leave you in town with no idea what's going on.
There doesn't seem much point in trying to continue a friendship like this. Don't waste your energy.

Lulualla Wed 20-Nov-19 14:41:59

Keep the gift, eat the cake and think no more of her!

Kimbaland Wed 20-Nov-19 14:43:56

I'm really sorry loopyhatter but she definitely forgot. The fact you text her at 9am and it didn't jog her memory speaks volumes of what she thinks of your friendship. Ditch her... she couldn't find 2 minutes to message you beforehand so bollocks to her.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Wed 20-Nov-19 14:44:36

She does sound flaky. Assuming it was a proper concrete arrangement (ie you had arranged a time and place) then I would ditch.

FreedomfromPE Wed 20-Nov-19 14:50:38

She ditched on you but doesn't have the tits to own her decision. I'd leave this situation, go out and have all the fun with some true friends. Don't waste time on her. Of course I'd probably relish a chance to catch her in her lie. But. Your time is more valuable to you. Revenge is overrated.

CaptainCabinets Wed 20-Nov-19 14:54:56

Has she done this before? If so, YANBU.

If not, it’s possible she’s telling the truth; I had a dreadful D&V bug on Christmas Day a couple of years ago! Lucky I wasn’t on the rota to work as who would’ve believed me?

Simkin Wed 20-Nov-19 15:03:24

I had a friend like this. A good, old friend with lots of shared history too. But I just got sick of this kind of behaviour (as well as dodgy behaviour when we were out together) and I don't speak to her any more. I do miss her sometimes but it is SUCH a relief not to have to feel like a complete gullible drip any more.

Considermesometimes Wed 20-Nov-19 15:06:29

Does she have anxiety? I am just wondering if there is a valid reason for her not turning up today. Before ditching her I would want to make sure everything was okay at home/she was not properly ill/depressed or anxious.

monkeymonkey2010 Wed 20-Nov-19 15:08:09

she's already shown you who she is - a habitual liar who has no respect for you.
So why do you keep bothering?

Drum2018 Wed 20-Nov-19 15:08:21

Why did you bother making up with her after you fell out a couple of years ago? You know she has form for lying so this time ditch her for good.

loopyhatter Wed 20-Nov-19 15:11:49

I've lost count the amount of times she's done this then twists it around to make me feel bad for doubting her.
We arranged it Sunday and text at 9pm last night even planning what we were going to order.
I had a feeling tho she would do this.
We were meant to go for Christmas shopping last week and she did the same.
She doesn't have anxiety no.

HollowTalk Wed 20-Nov-19 15:12:26

Keep the gift, eat the cake and think no more of her!

This!

And why did you have to phone her? If she could message you, she clearly has a functioning phone.

MLMsuperfan Wed 20-Nov-19 15:17:34

She's a flake. Learn and move on. Doesn't mean you don't have to be friends with her, but let her orgranise next time.

GOATmum Wed 20-Nov-19 15:19:21

Just drop her, she clearly doesn't think as much of you as you do of her, which is just a horrible feeling! She doesn't even deserve an explanation, IMO. Unless you want to give her one whilst telling her to fuck the fuck off at the same time!

Toddlerteaplease Wed 20-Nov-19 15:21:36

@CaptainCabinets so did i last year. I was on the rota! Fortunately I'm never off sick so I was believed!

ffswhatnext Wed 20-Nov-19 15:26:07

If you fell out with her a few years ago, not sure why you are booking anything, buying anything or wasting any more time on her.

ReanimatedSGB Wed 20-Nov-19 15:29:50

I also don't understand why you keep making arrangements to spend time with her. Is it a matter of you wanting the last word or something? This doesn't soudn liek a friendship with any benefit for either of you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »