Talk

Advanced search

Putting cups back into cupboard upside down

(122 Posts)
Duggeeismysaviour Tue 19-Nov-19 14:02:37

When they stay at ours (live abroad) , my in laws insist on putting cups and mugs back in the cupboard upside down, despite everything else in there being upright.

When I help out in any friend or relatives house, I go with the system they have.

Every time I open the cupboard and see one or two lone cups upside down, I have to quell the rage. It's like a passive aggressive "our way is the right way". Trust me, it's deliberate as they are extremely organised tidy people, who don't do things unthinkingly, like throwing a few cups into the cupboard.

This is sort of light hearted! And I know, many people will be along shortly to point out that I should be grateful for the help I get, and I truly am. But I cannot get past it, and I think it's because of the way they are and their personalities, which are quite unintentionally domineering. I honestly start to feel a little like a child in my own home when they are here. This, without further long explanation regarding their personalities, is perhaps why it gets to me so much.

Would this bother anyone else? How can I let it go before I snap in a pregnant hormonal rage?!!!

Alsohuman Tue 19-Nov-19 14:05:24

So sorry but this made me laugh. If you’re old enough to be pregnant, you’re old enough to put your cups away properly, ie upside down. 😉

Mumdiva99 Tue 19-Nov-19 14:09:48

If you don't put them upside down how can you stack more cups on top? And if your mug cupboards isn't exploding with all the 'Best Dad' 'Favourite Mum' 'Peppa Pig' 'Pretty Unicorn' hand painted cups by child 1, 2, and 3.....then YABU....give it a few years and it will be......your matching 6 mugs will never have their own space again.....

tympanic Tue 19-Nov-19 14:10:00

What would happen if you put their mugs up the other way when you stayed at their place, OP? Or if you told them not to?

This would annoy me greatly, but only because my in-laws are completely disrespectful in basically all areas. If this was the extent of their weirdness though I wouldn't bat an eyelid.

Legomadx2 Tue 19-Nov-19 14:11:49

This would drive me mad. I think it's gross to put them upside down - keep the bit you put your mouth to clean!

IchhabekeineAhnung Tue 19-Nov-19 14:15:03

I feel for you - mine do the same and it gives me the rage. RUDE! (Although actually they are otherwise lovely 😊)

Duggeeismysaviour Tue 19-Nov-19 14:16:06

Hang on, maybe I am in the wrong here. Would upside down be better? But the only benefit I see is that they won't gather dust that way.... I like them the right way up so that they can air out!!

Also, does putting them the right way up make stacking harder?

For what it's worth, my cupboards are already a mish mash of crappy mugs, but I am obstinate and easily annoyed (by them)

I know if I did it the other way in their house (been tempted, such a thrill seeker!!) that they would be corrected immediately and FIL would give a pleasant but utterly boring chat on how they do it differently grin

tympanic Tue 19-Nov-19 14:17:43

So there's a double-standard then...

isabellerossignol Tue 19-Nov-19 14:18:03

Oh, I hate upside down cups and mugs. Unhygienic and it traps stale air under the cup so that it smells funny when you lift it out.

YANBU. Go to their house and turn them all the right way up grin

GlmPmum Tue 19-Nov-19 14:18:48

Ha this reminds me of one of my exes dad. He would have everyone tin cup etc perfectly lined up in the cupboards, even folded his carrier bags.

I used to purposely mess up the order and unfold carrier bags to piss him off for no good reason other than it tickled me.

PuppyMonkey Tue 19-Nov-19 14:19:34

I hate to see an upside down mug in a cupboard as much as the next person but, seriously, you “can’t get over it?”grinhmm

tympanic Tue 19-Nov-19 14:21:58

I used to purposely mess up the order and unfold carrier bags to piss him off for no good reason other than it tickled me.

Haha. Meanie!

Spaghettio Tue 19-Nov-19 14:22:44

I grew up in Australia - and everyone there does this. I vaguely recall being told it's to stop bugs getting in your cups.

I've live in the uk for 17 years now and it's only in the last 5 years that I've stopped doing this. I've only just realised, so it could well be an unconscious thing.

I don't know why I stopped either.... maybe it coincided with moving into our house?

But I can totally understand being irritated by ILs doing this.

My ILs have their own little quirks that piss me off for no rational reason, too! 😂

Whatsnewpussyhat Tue 19-Nov-19 14:29:44

My years of working in pubs means I automatically store mugs and glasses upside down.
Kept the dust etc out and stopped them being grabbed by the rim. Although they did have plastic matting underneath for air flow.

SittingAround1 Tue 19-Nov-19 14:34:03

This is like putting the toilet roll on the holder the wrong way round.

tympanic Tue 19-Nov-19 14:34:59

SittingAround1 Which way do YOU think is the right way around....?

Celebelly Tue 19-Nov-19 14:36:42

If they're not upside down you get spider willies in your cup!

Strictly1972 Tue 19-Nov-19 14:36:46

I got told to put them upside down to stop bugs getting in them! I’ve always done it this way.

slipperywhensparticus Tue 19-Nov-19 14:37:19

Spiders rub there Willie's in there that's why you turn them upside down

DontbeaBabs Tue 19-Nov-19 14:39:19

just roll your eyes and put them the right way round. So not worth the headspace.

GrumpyHoonMain Tue 19-Nov-19 14:39:53

Putting them upside down stops bugs and dust getting into them. It’s not strictly required in Indian families as people will rinse or wash cups and pans before using them if they’ve been in a cupboard (until you’ve ruined a cup of tea for 20 people by not checking if the pan has a family of spiders inside you wouldn’t understand!!!£

LemonPrism Tue 19-Nov-19 14:40:43

Dust settles in the back ones if stored upright - mmm skin cells

Natsku Tue 19-Nov-19 14:41:43

I just realised my kitchen is confusing, my cups are upside down except for dd's cups which are the right way up, and glasses are the right way up except for 3 of them that stack nicely upside down. Maybe I should pick a system and stick with it.

LemonPrism Tue 19-Nov-19 14:41:43

And yes obviously stacking them with a massive hole facing up vs a solid surface makes them less steady when stacked

Evilmorty Tue 19-Nov-19 14:42:37

I don’t do it. It smells inside the cup because sometimes they aren’t dry and it goes manky. Plus if your cupboards aren’t 100% clean you are rubbing the ring thag goes in your mouth in all that grime.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »