Talk

Advanced search

To ask why people find me strange?

(90 Posts)
IAmCabbageDear Sun 17-Nov-19 20:45:23

No question that they do, I see it in their faces all the time (I work with the public every day)

I'm not attractive but I am polite and kind, very empathetic.. does that make me strange?

BeThere Sun 17-Nov-19 20:49:10

Hmmm difficult to say without note information... are you overly polite/ smiley like it might come across a bit fake or over the top?

December2019 Sun 17-Nov-19 20:50:04

Maybe everyone else is strange and your the normal one 😜

PsychosonicCindy Sun 17-Nov-19 20:50:31

I am also strange and unusual. I'm always saying things that sound perfectly normal and reasonable to me, then I see the blank looks and hear the awkward laughter!
Don't worry about it. Better strange than nasty.

lljkk Sun 17-Nov-19 20:51:17

Lots of facial piercings? Chewing gum loudly? Never stop talking? Unclear speech?

There are so many ways to be weird. What's your specialty?

Elieza Sun 17-Nov-19 20:51:21

I prefer to consider myself eccentric....!

IAmCabbageDear Sun 17-Nov-19 20:53:29

I just see the people I interact with with amused looks on their faces.. If there are more than one they will often exchange an amused look with each other. I've no idea why.. I'm just being polite etc as expected by my employer.

Bluntness100 Sun 17-Nov-19 20:54:00

Could you be misreading their facial expressions? From what you've described there is nothing unusual about you.

IAmCabbageDear Sun 17-Nov-19 20:54:35

No piercings or gum. I might talk a bit fast possibly.

IAmCabbageDear Sun 17-Nov-19 20:56:11

Bluntness, they definitely give each other that amused look.. I see it several times a day every day that I work... It's unmistakable.

Doobydoo Sun 17-Nov-19 20:56:55

It might be your use of language and your polite tone! People often do a double take when they speak to me and assume my role is higher than it is......I say carry on as you are!

SlightlySleepy Sun 17-Nov-19 20:56:56

Give us an example of something you said and the context, maybe we can gain since insight that way.

TwoOneBravo Sun 17-Nov-19 20:57:37

Are you sure people are thinking that you’re strange and you’re not imagining it? Unless you have an obvious and enduring quirk, it seems unlikely that so many strangers are reacting this way TBH. Most people are thinking about themselves the vast majority of the time.

Dollymixture22 Sun 17-Nov-19 21:00:35

I think people find me a bit odd. I am socially awkward And why but over compensate for it. If I am awkward in a situation I feel like I am acting, people can see that.

As I have gotten older I am more comfortable in my own skin. But still know people think I am different.

IAmCabbageDear Sun 17-Nov-19 21:04:36

I do sometimes feel like work is a performance.. And I am emotionally exhausted at the end of it.. But my genuine intent is to be nice.. Perhaps that comes across as strange. I'm deffo not imagining it.

Biancadelrioisback Sun 17-Nov-19 21:07:15

What's your voice/accent like?

HeresMe Sun 17-Nov-19 21:09:52

Your not strange, you sound like a good person. If you feel society doesn't accept you then that's society's fault.

IAmCabbageDear Sun 17-Nov-19 21:11:13

My accent is pretty uneducated sounding.

Mollychristmas Sun 17-Nov-19 21:11:21

People think I’m odd too OP.

They don’t say it to me but like you they look at me like I’m odd and look at other people with a smirk towards me.

I don’t think I’m particularly odd so I just ignore it now. As long as people are polite to me I’m polite to them and they can think me odd if they like.

I think it must be an aura I give off, like a smelly cheese grin

Catapillarsruletheworld Sun 17-Nov-19 21:12:21

I’m very odd. I like it that way.

Echobelly Sun 17-Nov-19 21:13:39

It sounds like you are reading too much into things, TBH. My life got much easier when I realised people are far too busy thinking about themselves to think much about other people and almost all the time, laughter and 'odd looks' and not about onesself.

I think I am genuinely a bit odd (not very socially skilled, so am alternately coming over as quite withdrawn and serious, or else babbling my entire life story to people) but I never notice people being 'weird' with me or appearing to give me funny looks etc.

Myimaginarycathasfleas Sun 17-Nov-19 21:15:20

It doesn't sound like you work with particularly nice people OP. Exchanging looks about someone in their company is just plain rude.

So I'm going to say it's not you, it's them.

IncrediblySadToo Sun 17-Nov-19 21:15:48

Do you think your ‘uneducated’ sounding voice is a direct contrast to what you’re saying?

What do you do?
How do you dress?

fedup21 Sun 17-Nov-19 21:20:23

Any examples?

MollyHuaCha Sun 17-Nov-19 21:22:58

Ignore them.

There's room in this world for different people.

Be proud of who you are.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »