Talk

Advanced search

...to cook a roast even after lunch in a cafe?

(191 Posts)
broceaulys Sun 17-Nov-19 16:18:42

We had lunch in Morrisons cafe today (toddler DD’s fave ‘restaurant’) after doing weekly shop. I had a jacket pot, DD had a kids pasta, DSs are only 11mo so shared a kids’ lunchbox and DH ordered their ‘Big Daddy’ breakfast with extra toast, extra black pudding, an extra egg on top of 3 of everything.

Came home and started getting the roast dinner on and DH says “surely you’re not cooking a roast after my HUGE lunch!” I reminded him there are 4 other people in the house who haven’t had what he’s had and said he could just have a bit if he wasn’t hungry. He said it’s a waste of time because we should all have had a big lunch and a smaller tea. I’m annoyed but not sure why!

Celebelly Mon 18-Nov-19 20:57:48

Wow, that's a bit greedy isn't it? I just read the word potato on this thread and I'm full for a week.

I merely thought about this thread earlier and now I can never eat again.

ApacheTomcat Mon 18-Nov-19 20:59:46

"I merely thought about this thread earlier and now I can never eat again."

Such gluttony! I hope you don't have second thoughts...

queenqueenqueen Mon 18-Nov-19 21:07:01

OMG this is the sort of thing my DH would do!!! And not get why he was being a knob!! 🤣

MitziK Mon 18-Nov-19 21:18:44

My version of 'just a jacket potato'

Spud the size of a Rugby ball, goats' cheese, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, radishes, beetroot, spring onions, coleslaw (homemade because it's awesome), gherkins, rocket, sweetcorn, olives, lemon juice, seasalt.

DP's version of 'just a jacket potato'.

A potato slightly larger than two golf balls, rolling around on a massive plate.

My version of Sunday Dinner;

Roast meat - handful of.
Mash
Leafy green/red veg such as kale, cabbage, chard or beetroot tops
Brightly coloured veg such as carrots or swede
Peas
One other vegetable
Gravy. Lots and lots of gravy.

DP's version of Sunday Dinner;

Two small slices of meat.
2-3 roasties (so about 1/3 of a potato)
Gravy.

My version of a big breakfast;

Piece of toast
Two eggs scrambled in butter

DP's version of a big breakfast;

Sausages (3 or 4)
Bacon
Eggs
Tomatoes
Hash Browns
Toast
Black Pudding

He deliberately leaves room for snacks Haribo and Pringles and sugary shit puddings and ice creams, I prefer to be full in the first place with vast amounts of vegetables/some meat and not want any snacks or puddings, never mind shit from the snack aisle.

If the café version is like DP's (and half of it is usually inedible in a mass catering context), that's the same as having two extra roasties later. Hardly a massive blowout.

I love proper roast dinners on Sunday. They set you up for the entire week.

E17Stowmum Mon 18-Nov-19 21:18:48

Assuming this was a Sunday and the family knew the roast was coming? If so, it's a simple case of spoiling your dinner - and other people's too.

Jeeperscreepers69 Mon 18-Nov-19 21:21:20

Could of just ignored him and plated it for him for later. But to be honest if id been out for lunch i would of had a sunday lunch and relaxed rest of day. Morrisons cafe on a sunday dosnt do it for me.

Michaelbaubles Mon 18-Nov-19 21:30:11

I just don’t get how a roast dinner is excessive or a waste! Do you all think people are throwing everything they don’t eat away? A nice big roast can do dinner the next day and sometimes bits for snacks/lunches too if you’re lucky. If there’s nothing left over then by definition it’s neither excessive nor a waste.

DohRayMears Mon 18-Nov-19 21:48:17

Why isn’t he cooking it anyway. He needs training.

OwlinaTree Mon 18-Nov-19 22:42:59

Lolling so much at this thread! Glad you enjoyed your roast op.

SarahNade Tue 19-Nov-19 12:17:26

@StillCoughingandLaughing Lol not at all, you have me wrong. Just that it is far too much effort, and no one I know these days can be bothered, unless someone else is doing it. Have to season it both sides and turn it over which can be a big job if it's hot and you are in front of a hot oven and the pork/chicken/beef is heavy, without getting burned by touching the oven or baking tray, peeling/cutting up spuds, putting them in baking tray as well, then gravy etc. A lot more than merely frying a couple of snags or a steak with some veges or spaghetti. It is a LOT of effort. And I like that women don't feel they are expected to go to all that effort once a week - well, at least where I am. It would be hell imo to do it once a week like my nana used to in the old days. Times have changed. At least where I am.

woodchuck99 Tue 19-Nov-19 12:35:19

Just that it is far too much effort, and no one I know these days can be bothered, unless someone else is doing it. Have to season it both sides and turn it over which can be a big job if it's hot and you are in front of a hot oven and the pork/chicken/beef is heavy, without getting burned by touching the oven or baking tray, peeling/cutting up spuds, putting them in baking tray as well, then gravy

It's not compulsory to season both sides and turn it over though is it? I just wrap the chicken in tin foil and leave it in the oven until cooked. I put the spuds on a separate tray.

SarahNade Tue 19-Nov-19 12:38:08

You are supposed to turn both sides over so it cooks properly.

PurpleDaisies Tue 19-Nov-19 12:41:53

You are supposed to turn both sides over so it cooks properly.

It isn’t compulsory. I never did when I was cooking roasts. Always tasted greatz

BarbaraofSeville Tue 19-Nov-19 13:26:14

I've never turned a roast over and don't see any need to. I might shove some foil over if I feel it needs covering.

A roast can be as much or little effort as you like, sounds like you're projecting a little there Sarah.

And believe me, there's no danger of the OP or anyone else in the UK sweltering in a hot kitchen in the UK anytime soon. Chance would be a fine thing. Bring on the roast spuds and gravy.

Dustarr73 Wed 20-Nov-19 14:11:11

I cooked roast beef today.It was lovely.

cccameron Thu 21-Nov-19 05:42:56

You are supposed to turn both sides over so it cooks properly

No youre not 😂 at the most there's a bit of basting involved. Pretty easy to do a roast dinner.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »