Talk

Advanced search

...to cook a roast even after lunch in a cafe?

(191 Posts)
broceaulys Sun 17-Nov-19 16:18:42

We had lunch in Morrisons cafe today (toddler DD’s fave ‘restaurant’) after doing weekly shop. I had a jacket pot, DD had a kids pasta, DSs are only 11mo so shared a kids’ lunchbox and DH ordered their ‘Big Daddy’ breakfast with extra toast, extra black pudding, an extra egg on top of 3 of everything.

Came home and started getting the roast dinner on and DH says “surely you’re not cooking a roast after my HUGE lunch!” I reminded him there are 4 other people in the house who haven’t had what he’s had and said he could just have a bit if he wasn’t hungry. He said it’s a waste of time because we should all have had a big lunch and a smaller tea. I’m annoyed but not sure why!

Winkywoop Sun 17-Nov-19 16:20:39

He can just eat a smaller roast then...or make himself some toast seeing as he's not hungry.

What are you cooking, and and there any spare? grin

Passthecherrycoke Sun 17-Nov-19 16:20:54

“I’m annoyed but not sure why!”

Because he’s being a wally?

TheMobileSiteMadeMeSignup Sun 17-Nov-19 16:20:55

I'd roll my eyes and carry on with what I was doing. His choice of lunch does not dictate everyone else's food for the day.

PurpleDaisies Sun 17-Nov-19 16:21:40

Roast dinner leftovers are the best!

Beccaishere Sun 17-Nov-19 16:21:49

Tbh annoying as it is I would do a small meal for tonight as my son would have struggled to eat pasta and then a large meal on the night so you could be the only one eating the roast in the end. Would rather save it for another night when everyone is really Hungry then no food will go to waste x

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 17-Nov-19 16:23:35

He's being a dick, ignore him and do the roast.

PurpleDaisies Sun 17-Nov-19 16:24:15

No food has to go to waste. It can be cooked today and eaten over the next few days.

TheMobileSiteMadeMeSignup Sun 17-Nov-19 16:24:19

Beccaishere my DD would eat a kids pasta at lunch, a full dinner then a bowl of porridge for supper.

Passthewinebottle Sun 17-Nov-19 16:25:02

He's being a dick. There is such a thing as leftovers & you're hardly going to force him to eat a massive roast!!

PatriciaHolm Sun 17-Nov-19 16:25:58

well, he's being selfish, but realistically you are cooking a roast for yourself and 3 kids, 2 of whom will only eat a tiny bit so it does seem rather a lot of effort - but it's your dinner. Don't give him any ;-)

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 17-Nov-19 16:27:34

I used to cook roasts when Dd was a baby/toddler and there was just the two of us.

BlueJava Sun 17-Nov-19 16:28:30

Tell him to brace for teenage eating habits then! We had homemade lunch of bacon, sausage and egg rolls and I've just been asked if we're having a roast dinner... I said no and he's obviously desperate because he said "I'll help you if you like and if we could have roast...."

EL8888 Sun 17-Nov-19 16:28:31

I have these kind of debates with my partner 🙄. I kindly remind him it’s not all about him and nobody made him eat +++ at his last meal. He often thinks if he’s not hungry or doesn’t want something then no one else does. It doesn’t work like that!

ApacheTomcat Sun 17-Nov-19 16:28:39

"I’m annoyed but not sure why!"

Maybe because it's a textbook case of "I'm alright, Jack" from your DH?

He's not hungry because he's eaten a huge lunch, therefore no one else is allowed to be hungry either. And if you cook the roast today, he won't have as much as usual.

His attitude would annoy me too.

joystir59 Sun 17-Nov-19 16:30:40

Not your fault he ate an entire day's worth of calories in one sitting

MitziK Sun 17-Nov-19 16:32:26

He can have a small bowl of cereal at 8.30pm, then.

Hope you enjoy your lovely Sunday Roast.

Aroundtheworldin80moves Sun 17-Nov-19 16:33:37

Surely the sensible thing to do would have been for him to not have eaten a massive lunch if there was a roast later on?

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 17-Nov-19 16:33:54

Will there be parsnips?
I love roast parsnips.

APerkyPumpkin Sun 17-Nov-19 16:34:44

'That's fine, I am not cooking it for you. You can make yourself a sandwich'.

Celebelly Sun 17-Nov-19 16:35:41

You are never BU to cook a roast dinner. It sounds like he's the only one who overindulged at lunch so that's his problem. Enjoy!

broceaulys Sun 17-Nov-19 16:39:02

Pork & crackling, stuffing balls, roast potatoes, maple parsnips, carrot & swede mash, broccoli, carrots, kale and gravy.

I might make some crumble but not enough for leftovers. Just to be petty.

Inthemuckheap Sun 17-Nov-19 16:39:50

He's not "being a dick". Neither of you communicated!

Why on earth didn't you say we're having a big roast this evening so you may not want to have a huge lunch?

EL8888 Sun 17-Nov-19 16:40:25

Oooh that all sounds yum! I was going to make a roast but yours sounds better

Frownette Sun 17-Nov-19 16:43:03

@BlueJava grin

Yep, that's the point when you know they're desperate

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 17-Nov-19 16:43:37

I'll have his share that he won't want grin

Shoxfordian Sun 17-Nov-19 16:44:04

Don't toddlers go through phases when they think they're the only ones in the world? Seems like your husband never moved on from that stage

Apileofballyhoo Sun 17-Nov-19 16:44:51

Sounds delicious, OP. Are you making apple sauce?

Your DH is just annoyed because he wants to have the roast dinner on a day he can eat loads of it.

Poppinjay Sun 17-Nov-19 16:46:12

Why on earth didn't you say we're having a big roast this evening so you may not want to have a huge lunch?

Presumably the DH had participated in the weekly shop they had just done and was aware of the impending roast.

It does sound as if the Sunday roast is the usual routine for their family too and the DH is an adult and perfectly capable of taking that into account unprompted.

dottiedodah Sun 17-Nov-19 16:46:24

Surely he would have known a large roast might be available on a cold winters Sunday!

stucknoue Sun 17-Nov-19 16:46:24

I would cook it tomorrow and have cheese on toast instead, save yourself some work

Aridane Sun 17-Nov-19 16:46:42

YABU

Witchofzog Sun 17-Nov-19 16:48:21

I cooked a roast for me and the dog yesterday. He isn't the only person in the house and if you and or the rest of you want one then you should have one

Lipz Sun 17-Nov-19 16:51:37

My dh eats loads before meals lol it sometimes annoys me but he's able to eat his dinner too. I'd go ahead and cook it if I was looking forward to it myself and give your dh some hot meat on bread, my dh does this, I do it myself sometimes If not starving, I'll stick some roast beef and stuffing on fresh bread.

transformandriseup Sun 17-Nov-19 16:52:37

If I'd had what he had had I wouldn't want a roast later but he could have just said "none for me thanks"

JusticeForSandra Sun 17-Nov-19 16:57:12

He's an idiot.

Any normal human being is able to eat a small or reasonable portion if they are not hungry, having a roast doesn't mean "stuffing yourself". A small slice of meat and some vegetables, what on earth is wrong with that. A roast is not a huge meal, no one has to eat a lot of everything hmm

If he is unable not to over-eat, he is a terrible example for his kids, and an idiot.

Kindlethefourth Sun 17-Nov-19 17:02:00

Going against the consensus here but I have a very healthy appetite but couldn't eat a jacket potato or a huge all day breakfast at lunchtime and then a roast dinner. For my family eating out at lunchtime has the huge bonus for me of being followed by a 'snacky tea'. I am with DH

PurpleDaisies Sun 17-Nov-19 17:02:57

A jacket potato wouldn’t count as a huge lunch for me.

loubieloo4 Sun 17-Nov-19 17:05:08

I want a roast now, but having no meat in 🤬

Ellie56 Sun 17-Nov-19 17:07:24

Just because he ate three/four times as much as everyone else at lunch time and doesn't want a roast dinner doesn't mean no one else does. Crack on with it.

BirdandSparrow Sun 17-Nov-19 17:09:36

I'm really not one of those people who does that "ooh how can you eat that much" faux nonsense, because I like my food and I'm a bit overweight truth be told....but isn't a jacket potato and then a big roast dinner masses of food?

speakout Sun 17-Nov-19 17:10:34

What do you want OP? Seems a lot of work.
If you have your heart set in a Sunday roast and the kids will eat it then bugger him.
I would be happy with someting simpler, but I am not a fan of Sunday roast.

BirdandSparrow Sun 17-Nov-19 17:11:01

I live abroad and maybe my eating habits are different now but last time we were in the UK and I had a jacket potato (can't get them here) I was totally stuffed, it was soooo filling.

BirdandSparrow Sun 17-Nov-19 17:11:38

But I do love (and sometimes quite miss) roast dinner. Especially the gravy.....

Tistheseason17 Sun 17-Nov-19 17:11:39

I can always make room for a roast - he can just have himself a smaller portion - why should everyone else miss out?!

MustardScreams Sun 17-Nov-19 17:12:29

I’ve cooked a roast after having a roast out for lunch once. I’m yet to find an inappropriate time for a roast.

PurpleDaisies Sun 17-Nov-19 17:12:45

isn't a jacket potato and then a big roast dinner masses of food?

Depends on filling and extras. Jacket and beans is about 400 calories. That’s the same (or less) than a lot of supermarket sandwiches.

Spacerader Sun 17-Nov-19 17:13:40

I couldn’t have eaten a meal then had a roast. When I do a roast it’s generally the only mela of the day (asides from breakfast and then dessert later in the evening),

I would personally go with a smaller evening meal if I had eaten out. So I’m with your husband.

BirdandSparrow Sun 17-Nov-19 17:21:47

Depends on filling and extras. Jacket and beans is about 400 calories. That’s the same (or less) than a lot of supermarket sandwiches I didn't mean calories really, I meant in terms of being filling.
Last time I was in the UK I had ajcket potato cheese and beans and it was delicious but I was also really full after. I couldn't have had a roast dinner for tea. And I'm someone who likes food and could do with losing a stone if truth be told.

LellyMcKelly Sun 17-Nov-19 17:21:53

Bet you he still eats it.

CaptainMyCaptain Sun 17-Nov-19 17:24:18

I love a roast but my husband doesn't eat meat so I'll sometimes cook one for myself if I fancy it.

Havaina Sun 17-Nov-19 17:24:49

@Lipz

give your dh some hot meat on bread, my dh does this

I'd be giving him fuck all, he can get himself leftovers if he wants.

SchadenfreudePersonified Sun 17-Nov-19 17:25:21

That sounds bloody delicious!

I could eat that even after a huge lunch, just because of sheer delectability!

No-one (normal) is ever too full for a gravy dinner . . .

CupoTeap Sun 17-Nov-19 17:28:04

Don't put him any out. He knew you were having a roast. Why is it ok for him at lunch but not for you later on?

Dustarr73 Sun 17-Nov-19 17:29:20

If you start cooking the roast at 4.30.What time would you eat?

Frouby Sun 17-Nov-19 17:29:37

I love a roast dinner. But also love an opportunity not to meas about all afternoon cooking one.

I bet he would eat it. But if you are cooking then presumably he's wrangling the dcs and that's why he doesn't want one. He's all sleepy after that big lunch and fancies a nan nap which he can't have if you are cooking.

MrKlaw Sun 17-Nov-19 17:33:09

Why didn’t it occur to him to check what was for dinner when it was clear he was having a massive lunch compared to the rest of you?

He can take leftovers for tomorrow lunch

howabout Sun 17-Nov-19 17:33:39

YWBU to have a jacket potato against his all day breakfast. Then doubly Unreasonable for insisting on a roast later because you didn't take full advantage of eating out.

At the age your DC are DH and I would both have had all day breakfast and shared with them.

I never insist on cooking after supermarket shopping and eating out with my lot - too exhausted and defeats the purpose of eating out.

Queenoftheashes Sun 17-Nov-19 17:37:07

I don’t know what you’re all on about. I sometimes have a jacket potato and beans at work and I’m starving three hours later.

I’m in similar situation where I was hungover so had a massive Burger King which I couldn’t finish then DP decided he wanted us (ie me) to make steak and ale pie with roast potatoes and veg.

I’m sure I’ll manage it but I’m having a good eight hour break beforehand. Next week back to starving myself 😂

CeridwenTheWitch Sun 17-Nov-19 17:37:17

He's being selfish. Just because he ate loads and is full, doesn't mean everyone else is.

I hope you made the roast and enjoyed it whilst he sulked in the corner!

IncrediblySadToo Sun 17-Nov-19 17:41:47

Did you not have a conversation about what was for dinner when you were shopping or choosing what to have for lunch?

It does seem like a bit if a waste of effort if it’s not going to be appreciated, but if you were cooking and you wanted it- then crack on! Frankly I’d have taken the opportunity not to cook, but I’ll do that any day ending in ‘y’ If I’m going to do a (vegetarian) roast I’d want it to be oroperly appreciated!

JusticeForSandra Sun 17-Nov-19 17:42:25

depends on the portion size!

Why do people think a roast = a ridiculous pile of food and calories?
Even my kids primary school serves "roast" sometimes, the portions are tiny!

CottonSock Sun 17-Nov-19 17:45:47

Me and dh tend to agree if it's our main meal or not. In this instance he would not have ordered the big daddy breakfast!

Serin Sun 17-Nov-19 17:47:53

An average roast is quite a healthy meal, just a big pile of veg and protein.
(If you exclude the Yorkshire puds and go easy on the roast potatoes).

RavenLG Sun 17-Nov-19 17:49:10

Kale on a Sunday Roast? YABU just at that! lol.
But seriously if a roast is a usual Sunday feature then he's an arse.

Roasts are easy to make and roast leftovers are the best so just do it and he can suck down a sandwich later. Miserable twat.

DishingOutDone Sun 17-Nov-19 17:49:38

surely you’re not cooking a roast after my HUGE lunch! See OP you've got the wrong word in capitals there - he means "surely you're not cooking after MY huge lunch (and never mind the rest of you)"!

I see very quickly people came on to castigate you for daring to eat a potato for lunch and then want a dinner - you greedy cow OP. As we all know on MN, a slice of meat and one potato is more than enough for everyone in any 24 hour period, otherwise you must be fat and greedy or a man. hmm

StillCoughingandLaughing Sun 17-Nov-19 17:54:18

Really? Have they changed potatoes?

bumblingbovine49 Sun 17-Nov-19 17:54:20

I'd not like a big roast dinner after eating out for.lunch either. DH is the one here who has to.make a proper evening meal, even if we have been out for lunch. I find that somewhat annoying as part of the point of eating a lunch out for me is that, I can eat less in the evening and there is less fuss

and clearing up involved that evening . All by way of which I suppose I am saying I can see both sides grin

DishingOutDone Sun 17-Nov-19 17:56:49

Does going out make your potatoes bigger bumbling?

FleurNancy Sun 17-Nov-19 17:59:28

My DH pulls shit like this "oh I'll just have some cheese and crackers, don't worry about cooking dinner". He's a weight obsessed cyclist which I suspect is the issue. So I end up cooking anyway because the kids and I don't want cheese and crackers for dinner!

zurala Sun 17-Nov-19 18:01:32

A baked potato is neither "eating out" nor a massive meal. Wtf is up with people on here?

BarbaraofSeville Sun 17-Nov-19 18:02:18

Why on earth didn't you say we're having a big roast this evening so you may not want to have a huge lunch

Why didn't he say something like 'shall we have a big lunch now, save cooking the roast later'?

But then if you have stuff in for a roast, the OP might have time to cook a roast today, but not in the week.

Why do people think a roast = a ridiculous pile of food and calories

^^ This?

If you've just got some lean meat and veg, with only small amounts of roast potatoes and Yorkshire puds, it's a light meal with fewer calories than the average sandwich.

I'd cook the roast, eat what I wanted and use up the leftovers in the next few days. That's how roasts are supposed to go anyway. Bubble and squeak tomorrow anyone?

Celebelly Sun 17-Nov-19 18:02:23

Christ, I'd demolish a roast dinner after a jacket potato for lunch! Is the potato the size of a human head or something? hmm Is this where all the competitive undereaters emerge to declare they couldn't possibly eat for three days after a jacket potato? My DD is only 9mo and would eat a proper dinner plus fruit for dessert after a bowl of pasta at lunchtime too! grin

JacobReesClunge Sun 17-Nov-19 18:02:27

The good thing about doing a roast on Sunday is the leftovers can set you up for several meals afterwards. Cold cuts, bubble and squeak, sandwiches, soup. In my house that'd be at least Monday sorted too, though we tend to have chicken.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 17-Nov-19 18:06:52

I had an Asda cafe 'Christmas lunch' the other day, and it was quite small and not particularly filling, and I'm quite a light eater.

The plate and amount of food you got was probably half what you'd get somewhere like Toby Carvery. Just because it's a roast doesn't necessarily translate into a 'massive meal'.

SourDoughSophie Sun 17-Nov-19 18:07:14

Quite frankly after Sunday shopping at Morrisons and then eating a decent brunch I couldn’t be arsed with the full Sunday roast. I would have bought some nice salad, fish, potatoes or bread and made an easy tea. But if your can be bothered , then each to their own. As long as no one is making you slave over a Sunday dinner then its all good.

middlemuddle Sun 17-Nov-19 18:07:30

I'm glad I'm now single, I CBA with this petty shit.

Winterhater Sun 17-Nov-19 18:08:05

The good thing about going out for something to eat is not having to cook so I’d have a big enough lunch so that I only needed a snack later. I certainly wouldn’t want to cook after eating out

PrincessHoneysuckle Sun 17-Nov-19 18:09:18

This was our lovely pork dinner.I took a picture of it to send to my dad as my parents are in India on holiday and hes missing British Food [grin
We've just had cold pork and stuffing baguettes with chips.Yum!

DishingOutDone Sun 17-Nov-19 18:09:38

Is this where all the competitive undereaters emerge to declare they couldn't possibly eat for three days after a jacket potato? yes, @Celebelly it is!!! I'm just imaging this massive 6 foot jacket potato, like a Harry Hill prop, refusing to let people into the kitchen saying no no you ate last Wednesday!!

lazylinguist Sun 17-Nov-19 18:12:26

confused A jacket potato is a perfectly normal lunch. And a roast dinner is a perfectly normal dinner - it's not compulsory to eat an enormous portion of it. Some people are very weird about food!

DishingOutDone Sun 17-Nov-19 18:12:29

I certainly wouldn’t want to cook after eating out ?!! Just because you eat something outside of your own 4 walls doesn't mean its so indulgent you must eschew all other nourishment for 12 hours afterwards. OP had a potato.

Celebelly Sun 17-Nov-19 18:13:06

OP's potato on its way to Morrisons

DishingOutDone Sun 17-Nov-19 18:13:51

We've not had dinner yet. I'm eyeing up the jacket potatoes suspiciously thinking no no, we need to save these for a very special occasion.

DishingOutDone Sun 17-Nov-19 18:14:45

@Celebelly grin brilliant!!

safariboot Sun 17-Nov-19 18:15:02

YANBU.

But was it not discussed in Morrison's that you're doing a roast later and the cafe is for a lunch not a huge meal? Or did your DH just decide he wanted the greedy breakfast anyway?

Winterhater Sun 17-Nov-19 18:16:00

Just because you eat something outside of your own 4 walls doesn't mean its so indulgent you must eschew all other nourishment for 12 hours afterwards. OP had a potato.
Calm down a bit there.
That’s certainly not what I meant you know it

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 17-Nov-19 18:17:31

Oooh, it's just got more ridiculous interesting now the orthorexics have arrived.

Katinski Sun 17-Nov-19 18:21:42

@*Celebelly*gringringrin

Fraggling Sun 17-Nov-19 18:23:49

Your DH is being prick.
People saying that it's crazy to eat lunch and supper are being weird.
Those saying safe yourself work if it won't be appreciated are also odd, I used to book roasts when I lived by myself, because I like them. Apparently op and 3 kids don't count, just whether DH will like it, which is also weird.

Enjoy your roast op!

OhTheRoses Sun 17-Nov-19 18:27:00

DH and I had a bang up roast lunch out today. We are having soup and toasties tonight. If we'd had a bite to eat at Morrison's a life time ago with chidler's, we'd have had a lunch, lunch and I'd have cooked a roast or "special" Sunday dinner.

cushioncovers Sun 17-Nov-19 18:30:23

Your dh had a big lunch by the sounds of it. The rest of your had an average lunchtime meal and would want an evening meal later on. A jacket potato hardly sounds like a huge lunch especially not a Morrison's one.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sun 17-Nov-19 18:32:29

It was a jacket potato...

* I have a very healthy appetite but couldn't eat a jacket potato or a huge all day breakfast at lunchtime and then a roast dinner.*

Really?! I'm with you on the breakfast, but a jacket potato and you can't eat again?!

cushioncovers Sun 17-Nov-19 18:37:49

..but isn't a jacket potato and then a big roast dinner masses of food?

Nope

middlemuddle Sun 17-Nov-19 18:38:48

This thread makes me realise why I'm fat.

BackforGood Sun 17-Nov-19 18:49:08

YABU to treat yourself to a lunch out and then go home and cook a roast, yes. If you were treating yourself, then have something that means you can then just have a sandwich or an 'on toast' tea later, and make the roast another day.

Irrelevant really if any of us would, or would not want a full roast after a jacket potato for lunch.

YAbothBU to not have the conversation as you are choosing what to have in the restaurant.......
You / or dh "Shall we treat ourselves to lunch in Morrisons after the shop"
You / dh "Agree"
You: "I was thinking of cooking a roast this evening - shall we just have something a bit lighter to leave room, or shall we splurge now we are here and have the roast another day?"

Would have been the normal way to have had the conversation, then this wouldn't be an issue.

Jaichangecentfoisdenom Sun 17-Nov-19 18:49:50

I'm with middlemuddle grin

MustardScreams Sun 17-Nov-19 18:51:59

Wtf is a ‘lunch lunch’???

I’m amazed people won’t eat a roast after a jacket spud! Are you allowed a roast after couscous? Or a big sandwich?

StillCoughingandLaughing Sun 17-Nov-19 18:55:05

YABU to treat yourself to a lunch out and then go home and cook a roast, yes.

‘Treat herself’? It was a jacket fucking potato in Mozzas cafe, not dinner at The Ivy.

TwoBoxers Sun 17-Nov-19 18:56:11

I've read about the competitive under eaters on Mumsnet but never seen them in print but now they're all here!
Jacket potato for lunch and its soooo filling can't eat again all day, don't be so ridiculous.
People are allowed to eat more than one meal a day.
Op your husband is very selfish, he's had his massive breakfast and nobody can eat for the rest of the day because of that.
You're roast sounds fabulous, enjoy every last bite and don't give him anything. Keep the crumble to yourself as well

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »