Talk

Advanced search

...to cook a roast even after lunch in a cafe?

(191 Posts)
broceaulys Sun 17-Nov-19 16:18:42

We had lunch in Morrisons cafe today (toddler DD’s fave ‘restaurant’) after doing weekly shop. I had a jacket pot, DD had a kids pasta, DSs are only 11mo so shared a kids’ lunchbox and DH ordered their ‘Big Daddy’ breakfast with extra toast, extra black pudding, an extra egg on top of 3 of everything.

Came home and started getting the roast dinner on and DH says “surely you’re not cooking a roast after my HUGE lunch!” I reminded him there are 4 other people in the house who haven’t had what he’s had and said he could just have a bit if he wasn’t hungry. He said it’s a waste of time because we should all have had a big lunch and a smaller tea. I’m annoyed but not sure why!

Winkywoop Sun 17-Nov-19 16:20:39

He can just eat a smaller roast then...or make himself some toast seeing as he's not hungry.

What are you cooking, and and there any spare? grin

Passthecherrycoke Sun 17-Nov-19 16:20:54

“I’m annoyed but not sure why!”

Because he’s being a wally?

TheMobileSiteMadeMeSignup Sun 17-Nov-19 16:20:55

I'd roll my eyes and carry on with what I was doing. His choice of lunch does not dictate everyone else's food for the day.

PurpleDaisies Sun 17-Nov-19 16:21:40

Roast dinner leftovers are the best!

Beccaishere Sun 17-Nov-19 16:21:49

Tbh annoying as it is I would do a small meal for tonight as my son would have struggled to eat pasta and then a large meal on the night so you could be the only one eating the roast in the end. Would rather save it for another night when everyone is really Hungry then no food will go to waste x

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 17-Nov-19 16:23:35

He's being a dick, ignore him and do the roast.

PurpleDaisies Sun 17-Nov-19 16:24:15

No food has to go to waste. It can be cooked today and eaten over the next few days.

TheMobileSiteMadeMeSignup Sun 17-Nov-19 16:24:19

Beccaishere my DD would eat a kids pasta at lunch, a full dinner then a bowl of porridge for supper.

Passthewinebottle Sun 17-Nov-19 16:25:02

He's being a dick. There is such a thing as leftovers & you're hardly going to force him to eat a massive roast!!

PatriciaHolm Sun 17-Nov-19 16:25:58

well, he's being selfish, but realistically you are cooking a roast for yourself and 3 kids, 2 of whom will only eat a tiny bit so it does seem rather a lot of effort - but it's your dinner. Don't give him any ;-)

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 17-Nov-19 16:27:34

I used to cook roasts when Dd was a baby/toddler and there was just the two of us.

BlueJava Sun 17-Nov-19 16:28:30

Tell him to brace for teenage eating habits then! We had homemade lunch of bacon, sausage and egg rolls and I've just been asked if we're having a roast dinner... I said no and he's obviously desperate because he said "I'll help you if you like and if we could have roast...."

EL8888 Sun 17-Nov-19 16:28:31

I have these kind of debates with my partner 🙄. I kindly remind him it’s not all about him and nobody made him eat +++ at his last meal. He often thinks if he’s not hungry or doesn’t want something then no one else does. It doesn’t work like that!

ApacheTomcat Sun 17-Nov-19 16:28:39

"I’m annoyed but not sure why!"

Maybe because it's a textbook case of "I'm alright, Jack" from your DH?

He's not hungry because he's eaten a huge lunch, therefore no one else is allowed to be hungry either. And if you cook the roast today, he won't have as much as usual.

His attitude would annoy me too.

joystir59 Sun 17-Nov-19 16:30:40

Not your fault he ate an entire day's worth of calories in one sitting

MitziK Sun 17-Nov-19 16:32:26

He can have a small bowl of cereal at 8.30pm, then.

Hope you enjoy your lovely Sunday Roast.

Aroundtheworldin80moves Sun 17-Nov-19 16:33:37

Surely the sensible thing to do would have been for him to not have eaten a massive lunch if there was a roast later on?

IHaveBrilloHair Sun 17-Nov-19 16:33:54

Will there be parsnips?
I love roast parsnips.

APerkyPumpkin Sun 17-Nov-19 16:34:44

'That's fine, I am not cooking it for you. You can make yourself a sandwich'.

Celebelly Sun 17-Nov-19 16:35:41

You are never BU to cook a roast dinner. It sounds like he's the only one who overindulged at lunch so that's his problem. Enjoy!

broceaulys Sun 17-Nov-19 16:39:02

Pork & crackling, stuffing balls, roast potatoes, maple parsnips, carrot & swede mash, broccoli, carrots, kale and gravy.

I might make some crumble but not enough for leftovers. Just to be petty.

Inthemuckheap Sun 17-Nov-19 16:39:50

He's not "being a dick". Neither of you communicated!

Why on earth didn't you say we're having a big roast this evening so you may not want to have a huge lunch?

EL8888 Sun 17-Nov-19 16:40:25

Oooh that all sounds yum! I was going to make a roast but yours sounds better

Frownette Sun 17-Nov-19 16:43:03

@BlueJava grin

Yep, that's the point when you know they're desperate

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »