Talk

Advanced search

to not want my husband to share a hotel room with MIL?

(397 Posts)
UnderHisEyeBall Sun 17-Nov-19 10:25:32

Husband is away attending to family business next week. It is just over an hour away from where we live.

It was agreed he would stay overnight the first night as it involves an early start and a late finish. Now I have learned that MIL has booked him and her into a twin hotel room for TWO nights.

She has always been overbearing, has no boundaries and has caused significant problems (along with FIL) over the course of our relationship.

I think this sharing a room business is grim and have told him I don't want him sharing a room with her. He thinks I am being horrible.

AIBU?

dontcallmeduck Sun 17-Nov-19 10:26:26

You are being ridiculous

averylongtimeago Sun 17-Nov-19 10:26:50

Really? Just what exactly do you think he is going to get up to with his mum?

SebandAlice Sun 17-Nov-19 10:26:53

Yabu

AuntieMarys Sun 17-Nov-19 10:26:53

I personally would never share a room with anyone except dh. At least it's not a double bed.....

Hoppinggreen Sun 17-Nov-19 10:26:55

I think it’s none of your business

BaronessBomburst Sun 17-Nov-19 10:27:20

What is odd and grim about sharing a twin room with his mother?

Whynotnowbaby Sun 17-Nov-19 10:28:00

It’s his mother, what do you think is going to happen? She may be difficult but she is going to have contact with him, whether in a shared room or not.

Slappadabass Sun 17-Nov-19 10:28:06

You are been ridiculous, I went away with my mum and shared a room with her and my DD. Actually, as a family we have done it a few times.

What's the point in paying twice?

Lockheart Sun 17-Nov-19 10:28:31

Good grief OP you're having all the family drama in short order today aren't you?

fedup21 Sun 17-Nov-19 10:28:57

If in years down the line you were the MIL in this situation, would you think it ‘grim’ to share a room for two nights with your own child?

Helmlover1 Sun 17-Nov-19 10:30:21

It’s his mum for goodness sake! I have shared many hotel rooms with my parents. If it was a female friend/colleague he worked with then fair enough but it’s his mum!

YABU

MRex Sun 17-Nov-19 10:30:24

It's him sharing the room, not you. You're being ridiculous.

Ski4130 Sun 17-Nov-19 10:30:42

I share a room with my mum quite often if we’re on a weekend away, how on earth is it grim?! I’ve also shared a double room with my sister, shock horror, and shared a bed. You’re being ridiculous. It says more about you that you think sharing a room with family is grim to be honest, what a weird and slightly disturbing way of thinking!

AfterSchoolWorry Sun 17-Nov-19 10:31:00

Mind your own business! Cheek of you!

churchandstate Sun 17-Nov-19 10:31:18

What about it upsets you? Do you think he’s going to cheat on you with his mum?

fitzbilly Sun 17-Nov-19 10:32:01

How on earth is it grim to share a room with your own son? Give your head a wobble.

Selfsettlingat3 Sun 17-Nov-19 10:32:04

Sounds like he has followed in his experiences of overbearing women and gone from a controlling Mum to a controlling wife.

RavenLG Sun 17-Nov-19 10:32:51

Sharing a room is absolutely fine and you’re massively overreacting to that. He doesn’t have to stay two nights if he doesn’t need to though (but if he wants to then is it really an issue?)

HulksPurplePanties Sun 17-Nov-19 10:32:58

Is his name Oedipus?

Elieza Sun 17-Nov-19 10:33:05

It’s up to him. If he wants to share that’s fine. If not he should pipe up and tell her. I think this is more about your fears that DH will end up like fil because of the mil’s behaviour.

The irony is that if you tell DH what to do you will end up in overbearing territory too. Choose your battles. I know you mean well but this isn’t worth the hassle.

tiredsleepysleep Sun 17-Nov-19 10:33:10

This is clearly a joke post. It must be.

pooopypants Sun 17-Nov-19 10:33:16

What's the actual issue here OP? Seems sensible to me. They're hardly sharing a double bed

You're being ridiculous and YABU. Massively.

<awaits MIL drip feed>

Halleli Sun 17-Nov-19 10:33:25

If my husband tried to tell me I couldn't share a twin room with my mum I'd be bloody furious.

Are you always this controlling?

kalinkafoxtrot45 Sun 17-Nov-19 10:33:48

Much as you dislike her, she’s his mum. I don’t see how sharing a room could make any difference here. Do you think she is going to whisper evil things while he’s sleeping and thus undermine you via hypnopedia?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »