Talk

Advanced search

I identify as a child and therefore demand entry to softplay/nursery/baby swimming lessons

(113 Posts)
MissMarpletheMurderer Sun 17-Nov-19 09:04:32

My eldest is mixed race, I know she has been 'lucky' as has had very little bullying due to her heritage but a good friend she met at university had a very different childhood experience. Apologies for the DM link but she sent me this, how can someone choose their heritage. And wtaf about an artist getting funding meant for those from black backgrounds as he identifys as a 'born again African'?

Where does it end? I identify as a doctor so demand I be treated as one including being employed as one as it's against my human rights to discriminate against me.

Aibu to think that this is complete madness?

MissMarpletheMurderer Sun 17-Nov-19 09:05:32

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7693927/Anyone-allowed-identify-black-according-Left-wing-university-leaders.html

Clicky link

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 17-Nov-19 09:06:06

No link but I agree OP- ridiculous.
I’ve decided to identify as poor and claim benefits !

MoonlightBonnet Sun 17-Nov-19 09:07:50

You haven’t included a link. But that artist thing had an interesting ending. He looked mixed race - enough to suffer discrimination- but apparently came from an all white family. When he took a DNA test he turned out to have at least one black grandparent.

Lunafortheloveogod Sun 17-Nov-19 09:08:47

It’s just odd. @onlyfoolsnmothers I’m going a different route I identify as a euro millions winner.. Camelot that jackpots mine!

SciFiScream Sun 17-Nov-19 09:14:08

There is a trans woman in Canada who identifies as a child too. Her name is Stephonknee (Stephanie)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/transgender-father-stefonknee-wolscht-who-left-family-to-be-a-six-year-old-girl-uses-childs-play-to-a6775051.html

AgeShallNotWitherHer Sun 17-Nov-19 09:16:26

This is the next logical step though if expressing a "....ist" opinion is a crime. The only defence is to either accuse or identify as a member of the "minority group" oneself.

MoonlightBonnet Sun 17-Nov-19 09:16:50

Oh I see the link and it’s about self identification. People have been self identifying their race for decades, it’s standard in monitoring forms. What’s the alternative? Government mandated DNA tests telling you what race you are?

This is just Daily Mail spin of a decades old policy it’s only just noticed tacked on to its standard take on trans stuff.

WorldEndingFire Sun 17-Nov-19 09:22:35

Of course the Daily Heil will try and make it a left wing academic problem. It isn't. Use common sense - a person who isn't black shouldn't identify as black but making arbitrary guidelines of what constitutes blackness harks back to the evils of the colonialist slave trade - who gets to decide and why?

Worth reading Emma Dabiri's book Don't Touch My Hair. youtu.be/VZmKJjNRFc4

ShetlandWife Sun 17-Nov-19 09:27:07

I identify as an oap and demand my pension and my bus pass.

ChilledBee Sun 17-Nov-19 09:29:11

I have a Trinidadian friend who is from an Indo-Caribbean background. Basically, during the days of the British empire, some Indians went to the Caribbean and settled there. Culturally she feels more black than Indian but her culture is still heavily influenced by India. Especially the food. But she feels more Caribbean and that is sort of synonymous with black. She's been told several times by black and white people that she can't identify as black and therefore be in places which are restricted to black people. Even if they're also letting people who have one black parent through the door.

Thing is,she doesn't identify as black per se, but her Caribbean identity means that she has much in common with black people in terms of culture and experiences of prejudice. Now Indo-Caribbean communities and groups are more commonplace but not when she was studying. Her younger cousins,nieces and nephews dont have this experience in school/university but sometimes do outside of those institutions.

Dinoctoblock Sun 17-Nov-19 09:35:02

The sound bite of man identifying as “born again African” sounds ridiculous, but I think you should do a bit more reading on that man. He looks mixed race and it turns out he is. He and his mother suffered from racism and he speaks very eloquently on the subject. It is not simply a case that he “identifies” as black.

MoobaaMoobaa Sun 17-Nov-19 09:40:47

I identify as an oap and demand my pension and my bus pass

Apparently a transwoman has already done this, and got this and got their pension early because they are...... a woman now. There's a link somewhere in feminist chat, but I'm at work so don't have time to find it.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Sun 17-Nov-19 09:41:03

So what about Rachel Dolezal ....

PhilSwagielka Sun 17-Nov-19 09:50:24

Not all mixed-race people are black-passing. Ross Barkley is half-Nigerian and he still passes for white.

Hellofromtheotherside2020 Sun 17-Nov-19 09:52:44

I identify as a rich housewife. Where's my money?

ArnoldWhatshisknickers Sun 17-Nov-19 09:56:55

I'd be happy to see the phrase 'I identify as' vanish from fashion completely.

Either you are something or you aren't. People of mixed heritage may look black, they may look white neither changes what they are. It isn't an 'identity' it is a fact about them like their height or whether they are left or right handed.

How others perceive them does not change the facts. How they perceive themselves doesn't change the facts. If they are of mixed heritage and people of mixed heritage are entitled to certain support they are entitled. How they 'identify' should not come into it.

MamaToTheBabyBears Sun 17-Nov-19 10:03:29

Apparently a transwoman has already done this, and got this and got their pension early because they are...... a woman now. There's a link somewhere in feminist chat, but I'm at work so don't have time to find it.

Why aren't stories like these making headlines everywhere?
I might go to the bank tomorrow and tell them I identify as a millionaire so ask them to rectify my bank balance immediately.

sueelleker Sun 17-Nov-19 10:08:47

And women don't get their pensions early. I should have got mine 5 years ago if they didn't keep moving the goalposts.

egontoste Sun 17-Nov-19 10:15:47

I identify as a ballerina. My age, size and shape and complete lack of talent has nothing to do with it. Royal Opera House, here I come!

Ozgirl75 Sun 17-Nov-19 10:16:51

Well I’m in Australia and absolutely masses of white presenting people claim aboriginal heritage over here. The rule I think is 1/16 aboriginal relative and you have to be accepted by the aboriginal community. There are significant financial rewards for claiming aboriginal descent.

It raises interesting questions as to whether discrimination comes from what you present outwardly as, or is something else.

Meckity1 Sun 17-Nov-19 10:18:25

A lot of very dubious people 'identify as teenagers' to get access to forums, sites etc which are not designed for people a lot older.

BritishHorrorStory Sun 17-Nov-19 10:19:46

You did this just to annoy me, didn’t you?

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/3744493-To-be-irrationally-annoyed-by-second-post-clicky-links-and-sorry-its-from-the-DM-posts

PammieDooveOrangeJoof Sun 17-Nov-19 10:20:09

If you read the comments under the Stefoknee article ‘Stefoknee’ is on fetlife and there’s lots more stomach churning details.

KaptainKaveman Sun 17-Nov-19 10:21:41

I identify as a size 6 willowy 25 year old instead of the overweight, frumpy middle aged blimp that I am.

If only....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »